Where to purchase Bosch Battery Charger 2 or 4 AMP

Don12

Hello,
Looking to purchase a spare Bosch EBike charger for work, any suggestions on where to purchase one?
It would need to be a USA version plug

Thank you

Hello,
Looking to purchase a spare Bosch EBike charger for work, any suggestions on where to purchase one?
It would need to be a USA version plug

Thank you
I bought an extra (2 amp) to keep at the office. Purchased from and shipped by Propel Bikes in Brooklyn.

As a newbie to e-bikes, the price of chargers and replacement batteries seems outrageous to me ... together, a second charger and battery is almost half of what I paid for my Gazelle Arroyo e-bike! I hope e-bikes become popular enough that the replacement batteries are a commodity and that 3rd parties start offering off-the-shelf generic chargers and refurbished batteries for a reasonable price.

As a newbie to e-bikes, the price of chargers and replacement batteries seems outrageous to me ... together, a second charger and battery is almost half of what I paid for my Gazelle Arroyo e-bike! I hope e-bikes become popular enough that the replacement batteries are a commodity and that 3rd parties start offering off-the-shelf generic chargers and refurbished batteries for a reasonable price.

What else do you use with that many Lithium-ion cells in it to compare pricing? Guess what an electric automotive battery pack will cost. You are buying the current cutting edge battery system and smart chargers. It's expensive, but it's way better than a cheap lead acid battery pack to travel the same distance!!!! Imagine the weight of that! I'm comfortable with the current price. With 5,000 miles in the last 2 years, my cost per mile is going down all the time! Just put a couple of bucks in a jar every time you ride. You'll be more than ready for a new pack when you need it.

Go with eBay. I got a spare full 4-amp charger for $100. Its internal circuitry has a voltage-switcher, so all you need to do is plug in a standard ungrounded extension (IEC320 C7).

What else do you use with that many Lithium-ion cells in it to compare pricing? Guess what an electric automotive battery pack will cost. You are buying the current cutting edge battery system and smart chargers. It's expensive, but it's way better than a cheap lead acid battery pack to travel the same distance!!!! Imagine the weight of that! I'm comfortable with the current price. With 5,000 miles in the last 2 years, my cost per mile is going down all the time! Just put a couple of bucks in a jar every time you ride. You'll be more than ready for a new pack when you need it.
I get your point, but obviously the manufacturers are getting these batteries for a fraction of what the consumer has to pay for a replacement ... either that or they are able to build the bike itself for almost nothing.

I get your point, but obviously the manufacturers are getting these batteries for a fraction of what the consumer has to pay for a replacement ... either that or they are able to build the bike itself for almost nothing.

Sure they get them cheaper. Just imagine what Ford must pay for a battery in a car. My first Sondors fat ebike cost $499 plus shipping. That was almost less than I could buy a DIY motor kit and battery.

Rich C , I agree with your post. What bike and battery did you ride for your 5000 miles ? Also I'm curious about the battery 80-20 % discharge-
charge 'rule' as discussed in another post.

I get the theory behind it, but if I follow the 'rule' to a tee I'd be limiting my actual ride time/distance of Bosch batteries by 40%
of their stated capacity in order to extend the life of said batteries? If I have this concept is right, I'd have almost double the life of the batteries to break even in use, never mind the pain in the neck of reduced ride time in order to not 'violate' the 80-20% rule. From an actual ride stand point the 80-20% seems dollars wise, but a real enjoyment killer managing the batteries....I welcome your thoughts. Perhaps I'm missing something ?

John from CT

Is your bike under warranty? That would be a major concern for me.

Sure, but how do you figure that'd figure? It's an official OEM Bosch charger.

EDIT: I re-read my post; I should have stipulated that it was a lightly used OEM...I'd NEVER use a knock-off on my baby!

Rich C , I agree with your post. What bike and battery did you ride for your 5000 miles ? Also I'm curious about the battery 80-20 % discharge-
charge 'rule' as discussed in another post.

I get the theory behind it, but if I follow the 'rule' to a tee I'd be limiting my actual ride time/distance of Bosch batteries by 40%
of their stated capacity in order to extend the life of said batteries? If I have this concept is right, I'd have almost double the life of the batteries to break even in use, never mind the pain in the neck of reduced ride time in order to not 'violate' the 80-20% rule. From an actual ride stand point the 80-20% seems dollars wise, but a real enjoyment killer managing the batteries....I welcome your thoughts. Perhaps I'm missing something ?

John from CT

I should have mentioned that 5,000 miles are on 3 bikes. An Indiegogo Sondors Fat Bike for 10 months in 2016, a Haibike XDURO Full Seven since Nov 2016, and a Haibike XDURO Trekking since Mar 2017. I've not worked with the 80/20 cycles. More correctly, just the 80% part. I charge to full capacity when I get down to 2 bars or no matter what the level is when I plan a day trip. Don't ride much past when the second bar goes away. I currently have just over 1,600 miles on the Full Seven and just over 1,800 on the Trekking.

This is my last comment on this topic since I am uninformed and still have much to learn about e-Bikes (with obviously a long way to go before I can claim any degree of expertise :)) ... but the cost of a replacement battery pack for a Chevy Volt is about $3000, less than 10% the cost of the car when new. The cost of a replacement Bosch 500 battery for my bike is over $900, almost 40% of what I paid for the bike. I realize a bike is not a car, but still ... I hope that battery replacement cost comes down through standardization and competition as e-bikes become more popular.

I should have mentioned that 5,000 miles are on 3 bikes. An Indiegogo Sondors Fat Bike for 10 months in 2016, a Haibike XDURO Full Seven since Nov 2016, and a Haibike XDURO Trekking since Mar 2017. I've not worked with the 80/20 cycles. More correctly, just the 80% part. I charge to full capacity when I get down to 2 bars or no matter what the level is when I plan a day trip. Don't ride much past when the second bar goes away. I currently have just over 1,600 miles on the Full Seven and just over 1,800 on the Trekking.

Thanks Rich, I can and do use the 80% ish discharge cycle with a full charge as well. I'd love to hear from someone using the 80-20% discharge / charge who's enjoying it. I'm not putting down the science to extend battery life, but not using 40% of the battery capacity to extend it's life is
an e-Bike joy killer, so it seems to me.

John from CT

Thanks Rich, I can and do use the 80% ish discharge cycle with a full charge as well. I'd love to hear from someone using the 80-20% discharge / charge who's enjoying it. I'm not putting down the science to extend battery life, but not using 40% of the battery capacity to extend it's life is
an e-Bike joy killer, so it seems to me.

John from CT

I may be in the minority John, but I don't fear a shortened battery life. I take care of my bikes, but I bought them to use.

I'm different though because of some health issues over the past decade. At one point I was on a medical disability for extreme fatigue. Now I ride a lot, but I can't ride long distance. If I don't use the higher assist levels, and ride more than 35 miles without an extended rest period, I have to take a nap. I've tried to find some athletic medical help in my region, but so far no luck. I can function with day to day issues now, it's just a problem during extended effort.

Maybe you should start a new post to get more input?

Back