When your e6000 motor needs replacing

DAVID L

Hi all. The E6000 motor seems to be at or near the end of its production run (you can still find some for sale) and I note the maker of my e-tandem is now installing the E6100. I enquired whether if/when my motor dies it would be possble to upgrade to an E6100, and, of course, the answer is no., it has diffenent mounting points. My bike is in perfect condition and I'd be very disappointed if I had to junk it when the motor wears out. I know there are people who recondition motors, but I was wondering if anyone has looked into aftermarket adaptor kits to fit newer motors to bikes equipped with previous Shimano models .

The closest thing I've seen to an adapter kit is this motor frame meant for custom builders

A good frame builder might be able to replace the old plates with the side plates from this kit, if you're okay with the time/expense compared to having to junk a bike you like.

Before even considering this, I'd print out their side diagram to scale, and make sure it can be fitted and not change the geometry of crank location.

At least it seems that Shimano may have a universal mount going forward, as the E6100 shares the same mounts as the EP8 (and earlier E7000/8000).

The closest thing I've seen to an adapter kit is this motor frame meant for custom builders

A good frame builder might be able to replace the old plates with the side plates from this kit, if you're okay with the time/expense compared to having to junk a bike you like.

Before even considering this, I'd print out their side diagram to scale, and make sure it can be fitted and not change the geometry of crank location.

At least it seems that Shimano may have a universal mount going forward, as the E6100 shares the same mounts as the EP8 (and earlier E7000/8000).
Thanks!

Back