When Maui Calls....

mata2maui

Region
USA
If your on Maui here are some fun, kinda flat but scenic rides: 1) I like to park at Kanaha Beach Park and take the mostly off-street paved path behind the airport to Paia and then to Hookipa Beach and back. 2) Another Fav is to park at Lahaina Aquatic Center and ride through Front street and then along the coastal areas and beach parks to Kaanapali, and then up to the parking lot above Black Rock where I turn around. You can enter the Kaanapali hotel area by a small beach park right into the parking lot of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel without having to go onto Honoapiilani HWY. 3) On the South shore I like to park at the Kihei Boat ramp and ride out to La Perouse Bay thru Wailea-Makena and back. If the back is sore I turn around at Ahii Kinau marine reserve before you encounter the rough rode to La Peruse. 4.) If you want a real scenic hill climb, start in Paia town and take Baldwin Ave up to Makawao town and glide back down the hill same route. 5.) Upcountry I park at Keokea Park and ride out to Ulupalakua Ranch/winery and back, great burgers at the ranch store! 6.) From Wailuku town I park at the old court house and head up thru the very lush Iao Valley along the Wailuku River past Kepaniwai Heritage Park to the top parking area where you can view the steep canyon walls and the Iao needle geographic feature. Then a nice coast back downhill (mostly) to town. I have also noticed the hardcore analog riders take on the summit of Haleakala but only from my truck! Mahalo.

Last edited:
@mata2maui
Would you accommodate a guided tour?
It has been many years since I rode down Haleakala Volcano on Specialized mtb. To a village and we were over fed and I had to ask for a doggie bag for scrap food that I could not eat.
Pictures baby?
Show me where you stay
This old house was built in 1926 by the Wailuku Sugar Company as a residence for the plantation manager. It's been in the family for decades. Wife and I moved in in 1997 and I completed a full restoration in 2015. Has a dimensional redwood frame, lapped, mitered cedar siding and Koa wood floors. For the exterior restoration I literally used my ten-foot-wide scaffold and went from the soffits/rafters to the foundation one ten foot section at a time. Took me two years working alone using new wood, some epoxy resin and a lot of elbow grease.

Attachments

• 20160608_153826.jpg
    20160608_153826.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20160608_153418.jpg
    20160608_153418.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20160608_153823.jpg
    20160608_153823.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 46932c49e667516c43032dbaf1c45c45.jpg
    46932c49e667516c43032dbaf1c45c45.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 89
  • _SC00304.JPG
    _SC00304.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 90
  • _SC00251.JPG
    _SC00251.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160610_142012.jpg
    20160610_142012.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160608_153953.jpg
    20160608_153953.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 106
Tragic news about Lahaina. Pretty much the entire town burned down over the past day. All the early buildings gone, also the historic banyan tree.

Hurricane never made it close to the islands, but 80 mph wind, combined with long term draught & dry conditions.. didn't take much to lit up like a tinder box.

Last edited:
Yes, I stand corrected. They were caught between a high pressure system and a low pressure system. I am not sure it there is a name for that with category 1 strength winds. Fires that powerful also produce their own winds and even lightning making for a firestorm.

This is very scary stuff: https://scijinks.gov/firestorm/

Meteorological factors and invasive grasses have combined to create the tragic "compound disaster" now unfolding in Maui. Here's a good scientific account:

A rigorous climate change attribution has yet to be performed. Semi-arid western Maui is normally pretty dry this time of year. The unusual compounding factors are the high, dry downslope winds from the east and the proliferation of non-native grasses in recent years.

The winds appear to be driven in part by a long-distance interaction between Hurricane Dora's deep surface low far to the south and a strong surface high well to the north. The prolonged high-pressure dome over the southwest US may also have contributed unusually warm, dry air.

If so, Maui's been caught in a "perfect storm" of nearly global proportions.

We are all good and the house too. We live in central Maui were there were no fires. Incomprehensible how fast the entire town of Lahaina was consumed by the firestorm. The gusts on Tuesday were above 60 mph. West Maui is isolated by the mountains so there is really only a two-lane road to the south for evacuations. To the North it's a single lane cliffside road with many hazards. No surprise some fled on foot into the ocean as the flames descended off Lahainaluna Road above town. Sadly, many never made it out. The entire west side has been in a drought for over a year.

Attachments

• DONOVAN-FAYD-13-1024x576.jpg
    DONOVAN-FAYD-13-1024x576.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 68
Yesterday's 36 were all outside, mostly in the sea. Now rescuers are looking inside structures.

Back