What's it like to ride a fat bike?

My gosh, @Jon A, that there is one beautiful fat ebike! I guess the only thing lacking to complete the hunting package, is a thru-axle mounted, single fat tire, rear trailer.

On my own Haibike Full FatSix, there was a plastic cap screwed on the non-drive suspension triangle stay and often wondered what it was for. Turns out it's for a kickstand mount that Haibike has on their trekking bikes; same relative location as on your fully fatty.

Thanks, Mike! I do plan to get a trailer for it eventually, I just haven't gotten that far yet. As it is, I was pretty happy to get all the other modifications done in time for this trip--rack, rifle mount for the rack, headlight, taillight and the hardest thing--the dual battery setup. I was quite pleased all those modifications...worked! They all seemed to work perfectly and the bike's performance was fantastic. I've got a lot of updating to do on my build thread when I get the time.

I think that's a pretty good location for a kickstand and it has been working better than I thought it would. Even crunching through that sagebrush where it would get so thick it was grabbing the pedals to the point I'd say screw it and throttle through a section--the kickstand never got in the way a bit. It works as intended when I'm off the bike (hasn't tipped over yet!) and I have yet to notice it in any way when on the bike.

From just the last few days:

View attachment 105217

View attachment 105218

View attachment 105219

The "easy" side of the range to ride (no sagebrush):

View attachment 105220

The river bottom--posing different challenges:

View attachment 105222

But of course in the pics above, I was not a "fat biker." I was a hunter. Just one of the many uses for this extremely versatile tool. It took a decent amount of effort to put a kickstand on this bike and I LOVE! it. NO self respecting hardcore person who uses his bike for anything other than a toy will enjoy being without one. I'd just love to have to lay the bike on the ground, pointing the rifle in an unsafe direction every time I get off it (which is often). Even when not hunting, you would not believe how much nicer it is to use every time you need to go through a gate.

For me, this bike is far too useful and versatile a tool to only use as a "toy." And when I want to, I can yank off the kickstand in about 30 seconds, the rack in about 1 minute and the extra battery in about another minute knocking 10 lbs or so off it. Roughly the same amount of time one spends adjusting the tire pressure for different conditions. Can you not turn a wrench?

It would be fun to take you on a ride with me sometime and watch you try to keep up. Some things you learn when you want to get somewhere offroad that isn't on a "bicycle trail" built for bicycles--going uphill is usually the bigger challenge where lots of power helps, getting through sections that can't be pedaled will make you wish for a throttle, and if you want to cover large distances in a reasonable amount of time, lots of battery capacity is needed. Of course the way I have the bike set up, one doesn't need to use any of those things when he wants to be a "purist" on a "ride for fun."
Thanks
Jon A
I love those photo's, and I'll ask a coded question for you, as I don't know this board yet and their feelings about things etc, Do/are you a Crafty Critter caller?
I am setting up my MD 750 Wart Hog about the same way, I just received my bike, last Friday, I've got a whopping total of 13.7 miles for a total time of 23 min and I LOVE this bike, still waiting for a bunch of items to get here, Racks, tire pumps, helmet, Flat out, tire liners etc, etc.

I have been grounded, until I get some mirrors on it, the better half said that I almost got side swiped by a local yokel, as I did not see it when it was passing me, waiting on the pony express rider to get here.......LOL

I have read all of the post and can't find the brand name of your bike,
but I can tell it's built for serious off road use, as you have full suspension all the way around,
I only have front suspension, but have put over 60,000+ miles on my Honda Trail 90 hunting bike,
in the last 50+ yrs, so I am real used to it.

"John Wayne" is what I call it > Rough and Tuff, and it doesn't take chit off anything.........LOL
I have had it off road and on the pavement, running tire psi at 25-30 lbs for those 13+ miles, and can't wait for a good off road test etc.

I bought it for hunting and off road/rough and tuff use,
and I am planning on getting a single wheel trailer for hauling big game quarters out to my 4x4 PU.
What is that rifle carrier up have on yours, does it come as a double gun set up?,
I carry my 22-250 and Rem SG when I am after crafty critters here in NV.

Thanks you,
Don
From just the last few days:

View attachment 105217

View attachment 105218

View attachment 105219

The "easy" side of the range to ride (no sagebrush):

View attachment 105220

The river bottom--posing different challenges:

View attachment 105222

But of course in the pics above, I was not a "fat biker." I was a hunter. Just one of the many uses for this extremely versatile tool. It took a decent amount of effort to put a kickstand on this bike and I LOVE! it. NO self respecting hardcore person who uses his bike for anything other than a toy will enjoy being without one. I'd just love to have to lay the bike on the ground, pointing the rifle in an unsafe direction every time I get off it (which is often). Even when not hunting, you would not believe how much nicer it is to use every time you need to go through a gate.

For me, this bike is far too useful and versatile a tool to only use as a "toy." And when I want to, I can yank off the kickstand in about 30 seconds, the rack in about 1 minute and the extra battery in about another minute knocking 10 lbs or so off it. Roughly the same amount of time one spends adjusting the tire pressure for different conditions. Can you not turn a wrench?

It would be fun to take you on a ride with me sometime and watch you try to keep up. Some things you learn when you want to get somewhere offroad that isn't on a "bicycle trail" built for bicycles--going uphill is usually the bigger challenge where lots of power helps, getting through sections that can't be pedaled will make you wish for a throttle, and if you want to cover large distances in a reasonable amount of time, lots of battery capacity is needed. Of course the way I have the bike set up, one doesn't need to use any of those things when he wants to be a "purist" on a "ride for fun."

Back