What size chain for Specialized Turbo Creo

YoGe

What size chain (how many links) do I need to replace my existing chain on my Specialized Turbo Creo? Thanks for your advice!

You need to use the instructions that work for a 1x drivetrain.

This is different from chain sizing for a drivetrain that has multiple chainrings up front. Essentially what you need to do is determine how much chain you need to work with the smallest cog in back that also keeps some tension on the derailleur cage. Since the drivetrain is 1x, that represents the max length your chain can possibly be.

The chain length available to the big cog, which needs as much chain as you can give it and determines how far the derailleur cage is pulled forward, essentially takes care of itself since you have set the chain to its maximum possible length already (it will never be too long on the big cog so that is not a concern).

What size chain (how many links) do I need to replace my existing chain on my Specialized Turbo Creo? Thanks for your advice!
It would be the simplest if you counted the links of the old chain...

My Turbo Creo came with 114 links. It works, although I have wondered whether 116 would be better. I agree it's a good idea to count to make sure.

My Turbo Creo came with 114 links. It works, although I have wondered whether 116 would be better. I agree it's a good idea to count to make sure.
I guess. I thought there would be a spec out there somewhere. My eyes cross every time I try to count. Wait - did I just count that link... ;-)

Okay, firstly this is determined by how many cogs are in the cassette. 10? Then you will need a 10-speed chain. Next you can flip the bike and put a dot of white-out or nail polish on a pin rivet. Sit on a stool and count the links as you turn the crank. If you buy the longest chain, such as a 122, no problem, just trim some off. An easy way to count is with an old chopstick. It will click with each passing pin. I will remove the old chain and hang it on a dowel in a vice, a door frame with a paper towel on top also works. Match the new length to the old length side-by-side. Remember to account for the quick-link.

Okay, firstly this is determined by how many cogs are in the cassette. 10? Then you will need a 10-speed chain. Next you can flip the bike and put a dot of white-out or nail polish on a pin rivet. Sit on a stool and count the links as you turn the crank. If you buy the longest chain, such as a 122, no problem, just trim some off. An easy way to count is with an old chopstick. It will click with each passing pin. I will remove the old chain and hang it on a dowel in a vice, a door frame with a paper towel on top also works. Match the new length to the old length side-by-side. Remember to account for the quick-link.
Thanks! I like the tip to use a chopstick. If you are removing the chain to to this, I would add - latex gloves to keep the fingers from getting greasy!

Thanks! I like the tip to use a chopstick. If you are removing the chain to to this, I would add - latex gloves to keep the fingers from getting greasy!
I am installing a chain today. Well in fact two chains of equal length, joined. I will strip all oils from them then immerse them in an emulsion of dry nano wax. It does not attract grit. This cargo bike is headed to one of the harshest environment for bikes. It is a dry alkaline inland sea bed with salts and micro organisms evolved to eat metals. Dry lube is so much better than oil. I am preparing the bike so that I can restore it to new when it returns. No gloves needed.
1690986907274.jpeg
1690986940941.jpeg

Back