We’re up & running RE: any & all Ebikemotion drivetrain-equipped bikes

firstbuell

a hearty “thanx” to the EBR powers that be for creating his Ebikemotion sub-forum -
thus far, I’m aware of Bianchi, Orbea, Pinarello & Wilier bikes using the X35 system in USA,
so if you know of additional brands, please post up so we can compare notes

I’m a brand spanking new owner of a closeout ‘19 blue/black Wilier Triestina Cento1 -
can’t say ‘rider’ just yet, as it arrived in a box (since assembled, with 32mm Gatorskins added)
& itz been raining nearly a week since.....

tomorrow is my maiden run, in the dry, on our regular Tuesday 30-mile group ride -
some of those folks are very interested to eyeball the Wilier & compare it to a palz Orbea Gain M30,
which was the 1st-ever ebike to catch our eyes (& soon lead to emptying my wallet, as well!)

I’ve been riding a closeout ’14 Giant Defy Advanced 1 for 4+ years with these same riders,
some of whom have gotten stronger as I’ve aged & weakened -
while this Cento1 is similarly spec’d against the Giant (each full Ultegra, rather than the Orbea’s 105),
it uses slightly different geometry, so I anticipate some minor fit issues will appear as I try to keep up -
hopefully, with less effort expended

once I figure out the app, power settings, optimum cadence range, etc., I‘ll more fully exploit the Cento1 -
until then, itz just basic factory settings, with a brief ride report to be posted here soon

Hi guys, great that finally there is some dedicated place to discuss Ebikemotion products, as there is definitely lack of information.

I'm brand new owner of Pinarello Dyodo bike in New Jersey, USA. I've not ride it yet, as weather is not very good, but actually looking to prepare for season.

One of the things I'm looking for is some kind of solution for bike computer. On my other bosh powered e-bike, I got nice "smart" thing Cobi bike, which essentially has hub connected directly to bike bus and uses my app on my phone and also there is thumb controller. App is much better then ebikemotion app. Main 2 features that are missing in ebikemotion are ability to upload GPX routes and change assist level with thumb controller. There is also integrated smart lights there. Also I think existing frame built-in controller is not not safe enough, as you attention is distracted a but when you need to switch or look at what level your are.

Interesting thing is, that when I'm looking in ebikemotion manual, google and other places I found references to a lot of "mysterios" gadgets like iWoc 3, Iwoc Display, RC3 controller, but I can't find any of them for sale or actually in any other sources, so I'm not quite sure of their existence.

Having said that, what are your thoughts guys on above mentioned problem?

This emotion ebikes they only do 20mph in assist mode.

There are much better ebikes out there that do 28mph- Trek, Giant,Specialized, Bulls and many others...

There are much better ebikes out there that do 28mph- Trek, Giant,Specialized, Bulls and many others...

The brands mentioned by the OP are all lightweight ebikes designed for riders who would like just a little extra pedal assist and don’t want a Class 3 motor but want to pedal themselves >20mph

Last edited:

well, I considered the heavier/less expensive early Trek & Giant - they didn’t suit me (newer Trek looks awesome, but MUCH more expensive & I don’t yet seek 28mph) Newest, least expensive Specialized is awesome & I also considered it, but $2k premium over on-sale Wilier killed that deal - only time will tell......

I know that but people have already started selling the emotions and Fazhua. b/c they are discovering the magic of 21mph and above 😉.
At same price or cheaper in some cases.

BH is bringing for 2020 a 28mph ,540wh e road bike , the CORE 1.2/1.3.

A lot less expensive then the 6.5k Specialized Creo.

Last edited:
Ride Report - actually, 3 rides, each a weekly jaunt with club members @ 11mph average, for 25-30 miles. My Wilier takes less time to charge back to ‘white’ ring status than I spend riding it that distance, a surprise - still using factory power settings, have only been using lowest one & am able to keep up with everyone, no problem

I really enjoy this ebike. 1 thing that’s starting to make sense is dialing back the lowest power setting to 75% (or even less) because sometimes I have to deliberately shift to a much larger rear cog than necessary just to not leave all the push bikes behind!

I started this ebikemotion sub-forum so we might all better wrap our heads around our drive system.

That said, if you’re chasing ALL available info on your own bike, you must still read all the brand-specific ebikemotion sub-threads. Yes, it takes awhile, but worth it (for me, anyway)

Happy (assisted) Pedaling!

The Bianchi Aria https://www.bianchi.com/aria-e-road-dream-big/

The blurb reads “its new IPD | Inner Power Drive system for the Aria e-road, using the Ebikemotion’s powerful X35 V.2 pedal assist technology. At 3.5kg for the entire system (rear hub motor, 250W battery, iWOC One and all wiring), the X35 V.2 e-power system is the smallest and lightest full-power pedal assist motor available.”

It’s unclear from this if Bianchi have done anything to modify the x35 or if IPD is just marketing speak. Other brands hub and mid-drive motors are rebranded as e-going on other models in the Bianchi Lif-E line of ebikes.

I started this ebikemotion sub-forum so we might all better wrap our heads around our drive system.

That said, if you’re chasing ALL available info on your own bike, you must still read all the brand-specific ebikemotion sub-threads.

Yes, it takes awhile, but worth it (for me, anyway) Happy (assisted) Pedaling!

I have been doing a bit of research on light road eBikes... here are 3 more with the ebikemotion X35 drive system. Hope this helps! ;)

1577573615148.png

Last edited:
gents, rather than hating on brands that offer hi-$$ ebike, I’ll share my pre-purchase experiences & thinking:

2 or 3 folks in my riding club, all stronger than I, bought marked-down 2019 Orbea Gains between Labor Day & Thanksgiving - that single fact woke me up to a lo-assist ebike being a likely solution to my getting even more s-l-o-w across 2019

I immediately test rode the Orbea & decided that the ebikemotion X35 system was the way to go - however, once I discovered that 3 additional manufacturers also used X35, I was ‘stuck’ - many road riders on lesser brands, myself included, would love to be astride a Pinarello, Wilier or Bianchi, so what to do?

after carefully checking & comparing the specs of my 4 choices, Pinarello pricing alone eliminated their Dyodo, & for some reason the Orbea simply didn’t grab me (despite its appealing, tubeless-ready wheelset) - this left the similarly-priced Wilier & Bianchi (I’ve always wanted one of their Celeste beauties under me).....

next came 2 developments - (1) the Bianchi chainrings are 53/36, against the Wilier’s easier-on-old-me 50/34; & (2) the Wilier price dropped $1100 right in front of me while I was shopping! Done deal

RE: the 2 newer, higher-priced, mid-drive American alternatives - while I continue to wonder whether the entry-level Specialized might be a better bike, I simply wasn’t gonna write that bigger check. Further, while I’m pretty sure the more powerful Trek that arrived after my Wilier purchase IS a better bike in many ways, I really don’t need its extra mph, & again, I was unwilling to spend the extra $$

Trek dropping such a fine machine isn’t the only surprise, rather it’s the 1st of many to come - I’ll continue to enjoy my Wilier over the next few years, awaiting whatever development arrives to next separate me from my savings

gents, rather than hating on brands that offer hi-$$ ebike, I’ll share my pre-purchase experiences & thinking:

2 or 3 folks in my riding club, all stronger than I, bought marked-down 2019 Orbea Gains between Labor Day & Thanksgiving - that single fact woke me up to a lo-assist ebike being a likely solution to my getting even more s-l-o-w across 2019

I immediately test rode the Orbea & decided that the ebikemotion X35 system was the way to go - however, once I discovered that 3 additional manufacturers also used X35, I was ‘stuck’ - many road riders on lesser brands, myself included, would love to be astride a Pinarello, Wilier or Bianchi, so what to do?

after carefully checking & comparing the specs of my 4 choices, Pinarello pricing alone eliminated their Dyodo, & for some reason the Orbea simply didn’t grab me (despite its appealing, tubeless-ready wheelset) - this left the similarly-priced Wilier & Bianchi (I’ve always wanted one of their Celeste beauties under me).....

next came 2 developments - (1) the Bianchi chainrings are 53/36, against the Wilier’s easier-on-old-me 50/34; & (2) the Wilier price dropped $1100 right in front of me while I was shopping! Done deal

RE: the 2 newer, higher-priced, mid-drive American alternatives - while I continue to wonder whether the entry-level Specialized might be a better bike, I simply wasn’t gonna write that bigger check. Further, while I’m pretty sure the more powerful Trek that arrived after my Wilier purchase IS a better bike in many ways, I really don’t need its extra mph, & again, I was unwilling to spend the extra $$

Trek dropping such a fine machine isn’t the only surprise, rather it’s the 1st of many to come - I’ll continue to enjoy my Wilier over the next few years, awaiting whatever development arrives to next separate me from my savings

Congrats on your new ride... the Wilier is a beautiful machine. ;)

1579316884717.png

Creo is the High end of a road ebike ! The 18-19mph willier is just a slow obsolete ebike.

I agree that the Creo is a nice ride, however, this thread is about EbikeMotion drive train equipped bikes. ;)

Here is a new EBR review of the Creo SL if you are interested in more details:

Thankx firstbuell, I've also got a Wilier Triestina Cento 1HY and it meets my needs quite nicely. Just over 200 miles on it and it does what I want it to do. This ebikemotion sub-forum is a great addition to electricbikereview.

Not sure if my information is accurate, but I think I read somewhere that the EbikeMotion system is produced by Mahle, who is the company that designed and built the motor in the Creo for Specialized.

Not sure if my information is accurate, but I think I read somewhere that the EbikeMotion system is produced by Mahle, who is the company that designed and built the motor in the Creo for Specialized.

A bit of trivia... Mahle has a lot of automotive experience and they work closely with Porsche on piston and cylinder development.

Islabikes (UK) who last year withdrew their children’s pedal bikes from distribution in North America, are building on their Icons line aimed at seniors with two new step-through ebike models, the eJanis & eJimi, using the Ebikemotion x35 system, both are lightweight for ebikes at around 30lb, delivery to European countries only, source: https://www.islabikes.co.uk/icons-2/

Court Rye here on EBR recently reviewed the Cannondale Treadwell Neo Mixte that also uses the Ebikemotion x35 system https://electricbikereview.com/cannondale/treadwell-neo-eq-remixte/. The Treadwell Neo Mixte and Cannondale Quick Neo SL Remixte join the Orbea Optima as step-through models for the US market using this system.

Last edited:
Back