Want to build a hunting bike with a hub motor

If you can stretch your budget, WattWagon builds a powerful machine available with a Bafang 3000W motor and dual batteries.

The Cross Tour is well equipped with the powerful Bafang Ultra motor, the Rohloff Hub, Carbon Gates belt drive train,
custom Miranda cranks, stopping power of the Hayes Dominion A4 brakes, with a 203mm front / 180mm rear rotor.

View attachment 52611
This is out of my budget. It is yet to be seen but I am hoping to build something much stronger for less money. I have seen the independent testing on Bafang motors and they are not living up to their claimed torque numbers. Of course I realize we should be looking at the whole bike and I am sure overall this is a great bike but I think I can build something more suitable for my situation for a lot less.

I don't know why you think 20" bikes (such as Rad Mini) are more stronger than 26" bikes like Rad Wagon.

The payload capacity for Rad Mini is 275 lbs, and Rad Wagon is 350 lbs.
The Rad Rover (26" fat bike) is 275 lbs as well.

My point is, it depends.. just because bike is small, doesn't mean it's strong.

If that's the case, children's bicycles are the strongest bikes on the market.
The reasons I chose a 20 over a 26 is as follows:
1)I am going to use a nongeared hub motor and the 20 will spin faster which will make the motor more efficient. When climbing steep hills every bit of mechanical advantage helps!
2)The 20 will make the overall bike smaller which provides a sturdier platform.
3)the 20 has a lower moment of inertia which aids climbing a lot.
4)the 20 allows me to maneuver better in tight turns.
5)20s can hold up better to the tremendous torque I am going to be putting in them with a larger hub motor. The tangential force applyed to an extra six inches of torque arm is tremendous. Of course anything can be mitigated with stronger spokes, frames etc.
And lastly, a lower center if gravity prevents less opportunity for tipping over backwards in a steep hill. I have tried both 20 and 26 on hill climbing and the 20 performed much better for me. I also find them much more manageable when I am hunting.

I'm not a hunter, so I may be missing something but..

I'm not convinced that you need such HEAVY bike, minibike or not... for hunting.
A big gearless hub motor, perhaps twin motors, and with a big 72V 60Ah battery you're talking about... how much is your bike going to weigh? Like 100-120 lbs?

Is this more desirable for hunting than a 60 lbs or so fat bike?
Yes, it's going to weigh a lot! But, in my opinion, it's going to maximize weight to torque, heat, reliability/longevity while still being able to pack a deer, the bike, and equipment up a steep hill in the middle of nowhere, on a limited budget! I am, of course, brainstorming, at this point and nothing is set in stone. And I am looking at ways to reduce weight. I realize that what I am asking for 500 lbs at 40 degrees may not be physically possible but it probably is at 30 and I will figure out what to do with the few short areas over that.

Back