Walk Mode

I did post this on another sub-forum as someone was looking for assistance, but as it does apply more to MTB situations, I thought a double post is OK.

EMBN put a pretty good video on the subject today, and I felt I have learned a few new tricks.
Absolutely.

I did post this on another sub-forum as someone was looking for assistance, but as it does apply more to MTB situations, I thought a double post is OK.

EMBN put a pretty good video on the subject today, and I felt I have learned a few new tricks.
Hmmmm, though I know about and have used walking a bike up on it's back wheel with the bars and brakes for control it did not occur to me to use this with my EMTB. Probably because it is heavy. I do use walk mode regularly to walk the bike up the 4 steps into my house. :)

I got my Lovelec hub-drive e-bike back from my brother and tested the Walk mode with the rear wheel raised up (as that e-bike has a double kickstand). The weak point with this specific e-bike is it takes a longer while before the Walk mode actually kicks in!

I have a walk mode issue, anyone? When converted from kph to mph the walk mode
went from 6 kph to 6 mph resulting in having to chase the bike. Can someone offer a solution?
P.S. Video looks to be of some help. Will try as soon as my brake pads arrive.(I hate down time)

Last edited:
I have a walk mode issue, anyone? When converted from kph to mph the walk mode
went from 6 kph to 6 mph resulting in having to chase the bike. Can someone offer a solution?
Get in shape, and buy some good running shoes! lol Just offering solutions.. :-D :p

I admit I didn't even think about using the walk mode for a slope or stop-light gear change. I will definitely have to give that one a try. :)

I admit I didn't even think about using the walk mode for a slope or stop-light gear change. I will definitely have to give that one a try. :)
I’ve used walk mode on my Allant+7 to go up a steep set of stairs on vacation and I actually lifted the front wheel off the ground as it was a narrow stairway. A great little tool when needed.👍

I use it sometimes as a shifter check before heading out especially if the day before was a sloppy ride in mud or snow. I tilt the back tire off the ground onto the kickstand and engage walk and run through the gears to be sure all is well.

It's a nice tool to have at your disposal in any situation, but especially on emtbs on steep inclines or through difficult terrain where your not entirely comfortable.

I've also used it on the streets to test it out and out of the box, it works just about perfect for me.

Although some actions (such as stationary gear change) cannot be done on hub-drive motor e-bikes.

Why not? If the motor is too heavy for leaning the bike firward and getting the rear wheel off the ground, then surely that huge hub drive will have the power to wheel spin whilst flicking between gears?

Or are you talking about front wheel hub drives?

Meanwhile....has anyone else made the mistake of standing too close to the bike whilst using walk mode in a low gear?

One of the few times I wished for a hub drive.....or perhaps less spikes
Yeah. You only do that a couple of times. Hopefully. Although if barking my shins on my trucks protruding trailer hitch is any indicator .... :oops:

Why not? If the motor is too heavy for leaning the bike firward and getting the rear wheel off the ground, then surely that huge hub drive will have the power to wheel spin whilst flicking between gears?

Or are you talking about front wheel hub drives?
It is because the rear hub-drive motor only propels the wheel but does not act on the freewheel :) You're decidedly spoilt by mid-drives! :) (Want to see a video?)

Meanwhile....has anyone else made the mistake of standing too close to the bike whilst using walk mode in a low gear?

One of the few times I wished for a hub drive.....or perhaps less spikes
Once.

Back