Volt Bike Mariner 2016: So far so happy! Observations as they happen.

I'm gonna guess no (but I have assumed wrong before) but I may be able to give it a try in a 2004 Corolla to see if that helps? Not sure if the trunks have changed over the years.

I just bought a Mariner and would fit in a CT200h trunk if I remove spare tire and all the panels on top of the spare tire, including the tray in top of the battery tray.

0-28kmh is quick but 28-32kmh cut off need time to wind up. I'm 150lbs.

It is absolutely amazing and I have the biggest smile on my face!

I just got a new Mariner 500W Limited and I put mine in my sedan back seat on a bunch of towels, bungee cording it to the back headrests.

My real reason for this post, though, is to talk about off road riding on this great bike. No one had posted much about that and so I had to buy it a bit on faith. Verdict after 3 days of plowing through puddles, crossing 6” deep rainwater streams, navigating heavy gravel and soft sand, weaving along bumpy root and rut filled single track trails and up long steep gravel roads: Wow Yes! It's great off road. So fun.
Not to mention hill climbing. Hikers catching their breath on long steep grades were dumbfounded watching me pedal past them at Olympic athlete speed.
I've got several "Cool Bike, Man!" comments on my mud-splattered machine.
On pavement I wondered if I would like it as much as my wife's new folding e bike, a dream machine for smooth pavement. The answer: also Yes. If my wife's bike can feel a little like an ice skater, mine is at least like a daydreaming hockey player. I was doing effortless loops around a paved campground road just loving the sensation of pedal, pedal, glide. It's really smooth. And it cleans up well for bike path excursions with my wife on her e bike, on more civilized terrain.
I couldn't be more thrilled with my purchase. I should mention that I've actually never been a mountain biker. I just wanted to be able to ride a lot of the trails I've hiked a lot. What I've found is not only can I do that, I've extended my range significantly. I think nothing of exploring side trails, or going much further on out and back routes, and due to the uneven terrain challenges and the fun PAS, every trip's an adventure.
Looks Great In Mud.jpg
Happy Trails!.JPG
Rocky Road.JPG Water Sports.jpg

Last edited:
My experience on off trail terrain:
Once you hit some uphill it would be nice to have some granny gears as the bike's heft can slow you down quite quick. It is also back heavy so you can get some air if you are not aware going up stuff. Yes yes there is a throttle but.. perhaps my lack of mtn biking experience has proven that adding throttle to terrain that needs navigating and balance can result in an increased chance of crashing. I think this is normal any time you add power or speed no?

The bike excels at pathways but I wouldn't say it is great for any of the mountain biking trails in my neck of the woods where rocks, roots and steepness prevail. Even the "easy" biking trails are not always possible to traverse.. that doesn't stop me from trying. We do have a lot of glacial till here and the larger loose rocks adds to the challenge.

Going down can be quite the adventure on rocky back roads as with any bike with no shocks. The tires aren't quite enough to buffer the bumps.

The shorter handle bars do seem to limit the ability to turn smoother meaning the controller needs to be more skilled.. to which I am not. :oops: One could upgrade the handle bars.. I am happy to have the option to do so if I choose at some point.. just haven't quite gotten to it. I've also had the sprocket stand ground me out in clearance but that comes down to the tire size and limitations of a 20" tired bike.. I was also happy to have it grind out instead of destroy the front sprocket.

Just yesterday I decided to go up a curb.. at a slight angle. While I was not intending to pedal (in assist level 2) the bike did decide to treat me to a bucking bronko style launching into the air. I can only assume the sprocket rotated enough for the PASS to engage.. which it is meant to do. Forget trying to grab the brakes, it was hold on for dear life and try to land on two feet (luckily I did :D). Not the first or the last time this has or will happen but it does have me much more cautious on the bumpy terrain and using assist of any kind. I usually aim for 0 when things get tricky... and this tends to be much safer approach for me unless I'm feeling kamikaze like.. It happens. ;)

The bike is great though, and I love it just as it is and the many things it can do... There are limitations that one should be aware of though. I do still love my bike very much.. At +2000km's and still going...

Hi, everyone...I've had my Mariner for just over a week. My first (short) ride took place in 8 inches of snow, but that's all gone now and I've had some good longer rides, in and out of the coulees, since. I like many things about this bike, but the biggest factor so far is that I no longer have to worry about either the coulee hills (if I want to go across town) or the west wind (just in case I want to come home again after my ride). I CAN ride the hills on my other bikes, and I can beat myself up against the wind, but I really would rather not. More later.

I do have one question, though. Yesterday I took my first longish ride - 25 km. - and the battery indicator did not change at all. It showed 5 bars at the beginning of the ride, and the same at the end of it. Also, the percentage indicator is not view-able. I don't think this is normal, but is there a setting I have not found to make this work? I don't want to have to push my bike uphill against the wind...

Thanks...Ian in Alberta

@Ian in Alberta From my experience, the battery indicator is not linear. See my post here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/new-voltbike-yukon-750-spotted.8120/page-7#post-99807

5 bars: 100%
4 bars: 60%
3 bars: 30%
2 bars: 10%
1 bar: 0%
0 bar: ? don't know, never been this low

In your case, I am guessing you pedalled a lot during your 25km ride (thus conserving battery). Your battery is probably above 60%, which explains why you are still seeing 5 bars of battery. Once it drops below 60%, it will show 4 bars.

I also pedal a lot, and I also see full 5 bars at around the 25 km mark. At around the 30 km mark, I will begin to see 4 bars. If I shut off the bike and let it rest for about 15 minutes, it will bounce back to 5 bars (but only temporarily).

What you are seeing is normal. Keep in mind that the 1st bar lasts the longest. The remaining 4 bars will deplete much faster!

P.S. The percentage indicator doesn't work for me either (I have the Yukon 750).

Last edited:
Once you hit some uphill it would be nice to have some granny gears as the bike's heft can slow you down quite quick. It is also back heavy so you can get some air if you are not aware going up stuff. Yes yes there is a throttle but.. perhaps my lack of mtn biking experience has proven that adding throttle to terrain that needs navigating and balance can result in an increased chance of crashing. I think this is normal any time you add power or speed no?

The bike excels at pathways but I wouldn't say it is great for any of the mountain biking trails in my neck of the woods where rocks, roots and steepness prevail. Even the "easy" biking trails are not always possible to traverse.. that doesn't stop me from trying. We do have a lot of glacial till here and the larger loose rocks adds to the challenge.

Going down can be quite the adventure on rocky back roads as with any bike with no shocks. The tires aren't quite enough to buffer the bumps.

The shorter handle bars do seem to limit the ability to turn smoother meaning the controller needs to be more skilled.. to which I am not. :oops: One could upgrade the handle bars.. I am happy to have the option to do so if I choose at some point.. just haven't quite gotten to it. I've also had the sprocket stand ground me out in clearance but that comes down to the tire size and limitations of a 20" tired bike.. I was also happy to have it grind out instead of destroy the front sprocket.

Just yesterday I decided to go up a curb.. at a slight angle. While I was not intending to pedal (in assist level 2) the bike did decide to treat me to a bucking bronko style launching into the air. I can only assume the sprocket rotated enough for the PASS to engage.. which it is meant to do. Forget trying to grab the brakes, it was hold on for dear life and try to land on two feet (luckily I did :D). Not the first or the last time this has or will happen but it does have me much more cautious on the bumpy terrain and using assist of any kind. I usually aim for 0 when things get tricky... and this tends to be much safer approach for me unless I'm feeling kamikaze like.. It happens. ;)

The bike is great though, and I love it just as it is and the many things it can do... There are limitations that one should be aware of though. I do still love my bike very much.. At +2000km's and still going...

@Cnugget...I'm new to my bike. I was at a stoplight, and was in PAS5 because I was bucking a 70 km wind. No problem doing that, but when the light turned green, I did a wheelie! I'll remember to turn the PAS down to a lower level in future...I hope.

@Ian in Alberta If you don't know already, you can change the PAS from the default 1-5 to 0-9. I prefer 0-9 PAS because it is sometimes useful to have 0 PAS to disable the motor in a crowded area, and 9 PAS increments are more precise.

I think I did read that somewhere, before I actually got my bike. It does make sense now that I am actually riding it, as I've almost run into the back of cars and my garage door, forgetting about the boost. I assume I have to alter one of the codes...is it an easy adjustment? Thanks again.

My experience on off trail terrain:are l

I'm just starting on trails with this bike, so I haven't seen nearly as much as you have off road. But I think the increased chance of crashing also has a another side: being timid can also get you in trouble on uneven terrain because a bike is naturally tippy at low speeds and anything can throw its balance off. With this bike the PAS often overrides my own tendency for over-cautiousness because even level 1 is not a timid speed. It's "here goes!", and the big fat tires usually just roll over whatever is before them. This is super impressive on deep gravel or sand, and general bumpy terrain.
So far, that's been a big asset, especially going uphill or traversing loose gravel and stones. Big tires and a little momentum can really handle a lot of circumstances.
My scariest moments so far have been going downhill, with no PAS at all. That's when I tend to get cautious and brake a lot.
Not looking forward to getting airborne as you have, but I can see how that could happen.

Last edited:
@Ian in Alberta It is very easy to change the settings. Just double-click quickly to get into the setup. As you page down the menus, one of them require you to enter a password. For my Yukon 750, it is "1919". It opens a new set of advanced settings. Be sure to write down the original default values in case you mess it up. I believe the last one is to change the PAS mode.

I summarized the settings and their meanings here:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...vations-as-they-happen.7239/page-5#post-90537

@Uphill

Yes timidness probably does also play a factor and yes the slower you go the less balance you have. My boyfriend has fallen a whole lot less than I and it's likely because he doesn't brake as much or go as slow.. I was being a bit crazy on my most recent launch though o_O. I fell a bunch when we had snow here.. I have to say pavement under snow and gravel under snow still hurts unless there is more of a snow buffer. I grounded myself during our snow/ice/slush and roads.. I just skid out too much with the front wheel and had 4 falls enough on the white stuff. It sort of felt like you where on a unicycle. The moment you needed to turn or brake the front would just go down... At least for me. :eek: By the way I have fallen a fair few times now but the bike is still running well.. hehe thankfully. :)

@Ian in Alberta
If you haven't tried this out yet it's fun: You can try holding down your Walk Assist (bottom left controller) when starting out (on bike) to get you going in any level 0-9 or even slow you down if need be. It gives me chuckles using it going up hill if you are looking for a slower or bail out experience. Just remember when you let go it will resume to the PASS level you are at.

Last edited:
5 bars: 100%
4 bars: 60%
3 bars: 30%
2 bars: 10%
1 bar: 0%
0 bar: ? don't know, never been this low

RE: 5 BAR battery indicator LEVEL's:
The levels are not quite that accurate. I think this is pretty consistent with most Lithium Battery's. I would not rely on the indicator alone. Most Lithium battery types show a pretty full charge until they have very little left then the voltage goes kapute. Bar 3 could mean you left your battery overnight after a bike ride lasting about a mile or it could last about 10mi / 16km or more just on bar 3 alone. The battery has more zip at full charge.. When the battery gets lower in charge (bar 1-3) your take-off rocket factor from stand still also becomes less zippy. At low charge if you change over to the ampere readings (found by cycling through the display choices) you will notice the max amount of amps put out will gradually lessen and lessen until it reads 0 at any PAS or on Throttle. Really the battery gives you what ever it's got till it's gone. :) I really know my battery is lower "officially" once it hits 2 bars.. To me, this means being somewhat close to home and/or considering conserving battery a lot or riding in manual just depending on how many hills still need to be conquered. A big hill can take you from 2 bars down to none.. at least in my neck of the woods. :D So get to know you battery compared to the terrain you bike on and your effort levels. I would recommend testing and setting your own base lines.. If it's really cold, hot, hilly, use throttle or hi PAS you will of course lose life on the battery.

PS 0 bars is a flashing battery light.. meaning you will be on human power shortly.. You can squeeze a bit more out of it but it won't be very zippy.. The amps will slowly decrease till the bike shuts off and you are on human power. Yeehaw workout! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just got my new Mariner a few days ago. I'm grateful to find all the useful information which has been shared here. Overall, I'm pleased with the bike. In particular, I noticed that there are a number of nice improvements since @Court published his awesome review. There is now a derailleur guard, a chainstay protector, and a truly awesome bell. These escaped my notice in the new Voltbike Mariner commercial video. However, I can see them now that I am looking for them. Although I am used to going an average of 15 mph on my full sized manual bicycle, there is just a totally different feeling when the motor is doing it for me and I'm not busting my gut to maintain my speed. I'm still picking the bugs out of my teeth from riding with the grin. :)

There are a few minor mods that I had to make when I got the bike. There was a lot of play in the folding mechanism for the handlebars. A trivial adjustment of the latch fixed that once I figured out that was available. I'm 6' 2" tall, 240 pounds. I purchased a Gusset 450 mm seat post in anticipation of needing it to get proper leg extension with my Mariner. As expected, I did need a longer seat post. I would have been able to get by with 400 mm at the minimum insertion line. However, I'm glad that I got the extra post length inside the seat tube. A little more set back would have been nice. I thought that I might need some sort of riser extension to raise the handlebars. I might look at upgrading the seat, but haven't done that yet. I was a little sore after riding 21 miles the other day. However, it seems that the maximum height is close enough to avoid an extension. I'm pleased with the fit for a Clydesdale like me considering the advantages obtained by having a versatile folding electric bike. Overall, the bike was well adjusted upon receipt. I was very pleased to find that the spokes were tight and the wheels were true. I have not had good luck with that on my last few manual bicycle purchases.

I need some advice on one issue which I'll put in a separate post.

I'm looking forward to obtaining years of enjoyment out of my new Voltbike Mariner!

I am hoping that someone might have advice on an issue that I'm having with my new Voltbike Mariner. I haven't seen a reference to this problem in any of the posts. So, I'm wondering if it is unique to my one bike.

The battery on my Mariner tends to bounce around making a lot of noise with every little bump. So, it is constantly rattling. The noise is generated by the entire assembly shaking and not the components inside the battery. I believe that the assembly is shaking on the slide rail that holds the battery as the fit is loose. There is also a gap between the seat tube and the battery. As a temporary solution, I have rolled up a handi-wipe cloth and wedged it between the seat tube and the battery assembly. That is not an elegant solution, but it works for now. I'm considering attaching an adhesive rubber strip to the side of the battery which faces the seat tube to push it tight against the slide rail.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, do you have a better solution?

I am hoping that someone might have advice on an issue that I'm having with my new Voltbike Mariner... The battery on my Mariner tends to bounce around making a lot of noise with every little bump. So, it is constantly rattling. The noise is generated by the entire assembly shaking and not the components inside the battery.... Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, do you have a better solution?

SCREW ON BATTERY RAIL CHECK:
I'm not sure if this is the issue but definitely something to check. Mine was rattling when I first got it. Pull out the battery and check the rail is screwed in all the way to the frame. You can see in the photos below mine was rattling and yanked around before the we found the screw and tightened it up. Once it was tightened up it hasn't need re-tightening since but we check it now and again. Here are some photos of the screw to check. Hope it helps.. If not post some photos of the issue maybe @Voltbike can help. :)

Attachments

• BatteryCasingEbikeMarier.jpg
    BatteryCasingEbikeMarier.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • BatteryRailScrewVoltBikeMariner.jpg
    BatteryRailScrewVoltBikeMariner.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 1,097
  • BatteryRailScrewVoltBikeMarinerB.jpg
    BatteryRailScrewVoltBikeMarinerB.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 1,086
Back