Volador owners, can you answer my questions?

nj1266

Region
USA
Hi all,

i am new here. I own a Swagtron EB7 Plus. The reason I got the bike is because it is one of a few affordable ebikes that fit in the trunk of my car. The height opening of the trunk is 19 inches. So any bike thicker than 18 inches will probably be hard to squeeze in there. The issue I have with the bike is that the 16 inch tires mean that I have to pedal a lot even in top gear (7 gear bike). That limits me to motor assist 1 of 3 when riding on flat bike paths. If I put the bike in level 2 or 3 then I cannot keep by pedaling to move even faster. Pedaling becomes useless in level 2 or 3.

I recently found the Volador And I like it. But I have a few questions:

1. How thick is it really when folded? The website says 15.75 inch. Is that accurate? Can someone confirm this number?
2. How much does it weigh? The website says 36 lbs, but an EBR review says that is not accurate because it excludes the fenders and rack and probably the battery. Can someone confirm the weight of the bike?
3. Are the high motor assist levels useless on a flat surface as they are on my Swagtron? Can a rider pedal efficiently in top gear using the top motor assist level?

Thank you.

Hi all,

i am new here. I own a Swagtron EB7 Plus. The reason I got the bike is because it is one of a few affordable ebikes that fit in the trunk of my car. The height opening of the trunk is 19 inches. So any bike thicker than 18 inches will probably be hard to squeeze in there. The issue I have with the bike is that the 16 inch tires mean that I have to pedal a lot even in top gear (7 gear bike). That limits me to motor assist 1 of 3 when riding on flat bike paths. If I put the bike in level 2 or 3 then I cannot keep by pedaling to move even faster. Pedaling becomes useless in level 2 or 3.

I recently found the Volador And I like it. But I have a few questions:

1. How thick is it really when folded? The website says 15.75 inch. Is that accurate? Can someone confirm this number?
2. How much does it weigh? The website says 36 lbs, but an EBR review says that is not accurate because it excludes the fenders and rack and probably the battery. Can someone confirm the weight of the bike?
3. Are the high motor assist levels useless on a flat surface as they are on my Swagtron? Can a rider pedal efficiently in top gear using the top motor assist level?

Thank you.

Ax and you shall receive

@nj1266 I don't have a Volador and can't speak to that specific model, but the sister-model, Dolphin, with thicker heavier tires is about 15-16" wide when folded-up. The front basket sticks out a bit further, if you're riding with one.

My Dolphin is 50lbs with front rack, frame lock, Boomerang, heavier non-folding aftermarket pedals, thick wheels and tires, and the much-larger 9lb battery from the Beluga model. I'd assume Volador with half-sized battery and thinner lighter wheels and frame would probably weigh-in around 40lbs with the rack and fenders probably adding 3lbs.

Like many ebikes, the Dolphin arrives OEM with a decent quality Shimano 14-28t freewheel, and Volador, probably the same. All bikes with 14t high-gear are going to have the same wobbly free-spinning situation above 25mph on flat wide-open throttle. If that's your terrain, this is resolved by replacing the standard 14-tooth top gear freewheel with a 11-28t after-market freewheel. There are also 11-34t models if you have some hills in your commute. Going from 14 down to 11 teeth provides a 20% improvement in pedaling efficiency when you're going fast. Highly recommend that. If you count the teeth on your Swagtron rear hub, it might be 14, and you may find this makes all the difference for $30.

@nj1266 I don't have a Volador and can't speak to that specific model, but the sister-model, Dolphin, with thicker heavier tires is about 15-16" wide when folded-up. The front basket sticks out a bit further, if you're riding with one.

My Dolphin is 50lbs with front rack, frame lock, Boomerang, heavier non-folding aftermarket pedals, thick wheels and tires, and the much-larger 9lb battery from the Beluga model. I'd assume Volador with half-sized battery and thinner lighter wheels and frame would probably weigh-in around 40lbs with the rack and fenders probably adding 3lbs.

Like many ebikes, the Dolphin arrives OEM with a decent quality Shimano 14-28t freewheel, and Volador, probably the same. All bikes with 14t high-gear are going to have the same wobbly free-spinning situation above 25mph on flat wide-open throttle. If that's your terrain, this is resolved by replacing the standard 14-tooth top gear freewheel with a 11-28t after-market freewheel. There are also 11-34t models if you have some hills in your commute. Going from 14 down to 11 teeth provides a 20% improvement in pedaling efficiency when you're going fast. Highly recommend that. If you count the teeth on your Swagtron rear hub, it might be 14, and you may find this makes all the difference for $30.
@goldconch Thank you so much for your response. I am new to this so please bear with me. if I replace the rear 7 speed gear set with one with fewer teeth, then that would make pedaling more efficient in top gear? Is that correct? If that can be solved with $30 then that is much better than getting a whole new bike. How about replacing the main chain gear on the bike with a larger one? Would that make a difference? And finally where can I learn more about this in easy to understand language? Thank you so much for the help.

@goldconch Thank you so much for your response. I am new to this so please bear with me. if I replace the rear 7 speed gear set with one with fewer teeth, then that would make pedaling more efficient in top gear? Is that correct? If that can be solved with $30 then that is much better than getting a whole new bike. How about replacing the main chain gear on the bike with a larger one? Would that make a difference? And finally where can I learn more about this in easy to understand language? Thank you so much for the help.
@nj1266 in a word, YES. I've tinkered with larger crank rings as well. I've bought some that were way too big. The limit to the number of teeth on the main crank is a function of type of crankset, budget, rear chain stay clearance, chain links, and pedaling style (bigger ring = less ground clearance when banking, and greater risk of catching an errant pedal). Replacing the rear freewheel is pretty easy DIY for those that would feel comfortable changing a flat tire. Just need new zip ties for hub motor clips, allen keys for brake adjustment, an adjustable spanner, and the correct splined Park Tool. Otherwise, any bike tech can get this done in minutes. First, have a look at your rear freewheel on your Swagtron and count the number of teeth on the smallest, outer-most "top gear" and make sure that 14 is the problem. Note also the model number of your existing freewheel so that you can get the correct tool, if you're DIYing.

@nj1266 in a word, YES. I've tinkered with larger crank rings as well. I've bought some that were way too big. The limit to the number of teeth on the main crank is a function of type of crankset, budget, rear chain stay clearance, chain links, and pedaling style (bigger ring = less ground clearance when banking, and greater risk of catching an errant pedal). Replacing the rear freewheel is pretty easy DIY for those that would feel comfortable changing a flat tire. Just need new zip ties for hub motor clips, allen keys for brake adjustment, an adjustable spanner, and the correct splined Park Tool. Otherwise, any bike tech can get this done in minutes. First, have a look at your rear freewheel on your Swagtron and count the number of teeth on the smallest, outer-most "top gear" and make sure that 14 is the problem. Note also the model number of your existing freewheel so that you can get the correct tool, if you're DIYing.
Hi, I want to thank you for helping me with the gears on my bike. I finally swapped the rear cassette and the chainring. The results were fantastic. Please read the link below. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/changing-gears-chainring-on-swagtron-eb7.40389/

Back