Van Dessel Electric Bikes at CES (Passepartout & Captain Shred with Panasonic GXO Motor)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Van Dessel Cycles was presenting at CES 2019 and I got to speak with the founder and president Edwin Bull as well as the VP of sales and development Rob Venderveur.

There were two models on show:
  • Passepartout gravel bike (available in May 2019, $6,500 estimated price)
  • Captain Shred carbon fiber full suspension racing bike (estimated arrival in the second half of 2019) meant to compete in the UCI e-mountain bike category
Both of these electric bikes are using a new high performance Panasonic GXO mid drive motor offering 90 newton meters of torque. The motor weighs just weighs 2.95kg (6.5lbs) and is very compact (as shown later in the video).

The Passepartout uses an external battery pack that comes in two sizes (high and low capacity). It's easily removable and tips out to the left. Edwin suggested that it could offer up to 75 miles of range per charge when using the 36 volt 12 amp hour battery pack. The Captain Shred has an internal battery and the bike frame is full carbon fiber. It wasn't clear how easily that pack could be removed or whether it would come in different capacities. I noticed that the display panel on the Passepartout showed four levels that begin with Auto, which offers 30% to 300% output (similar to the Bosch CX drive system with eMTB mode). The Panasonic motor seemed smooth and fairly quiet (there was still some electronic whirring but not as high pitched as some competing systems). I was told that they were working on a carbon fiber cover for the motor and reinforcing the carbon fork as well as adding bottle cage bosses to it, which would compliment the bottle cage and rear rack bosses. Apparently they are working on a removable LCD display for the final build and I asked about Micro-USB but it didn't sound like that was a feature. The Passepartout will come in a full size run and two builds with different spec components.

Van Dessel was founded in 1999 and the name comes from the founder's mother's maiden name (her last name before marriage). The founder, Edwin, has been a bike racer who began making his own frames at age 15. The company is based in New Jersey, because that's where Edwin is from. Edwin said that the Panasonic failure rate is only 0.3% which is super low. He did a demo ride using a Wahoo Trainer with virtual ride video interaction that was pretty cool.

A Univega commuter electric bike was also on display at the Van Dessel booth because it's a sister company. These models were built around the Panasonic XO mid-drive motors with 80 newton meters of torque vs. the lighter and more powerful GXO.

Official website with more press materials such as pricing and photos at https://www.vandesselcycles.com/media/

van-dessel-captain-shred-ebike.jpgvan-dessel-passepartout-ebike.jpg

Van Dessel Cycles was presenting at CES 2019 and I got to speak with the founder and president Edwin Bull as well as the VP of sales and development Rob Venderveur.

There were two models on show:
  • Passepartout gravel bike (available in May 2019, $6,500 estimated price)
  • Captain Shred carbon fiber full suspension racing bike (estimated arrival in the second half of 2019) meant to compete in the UCI e-mountain bike category
Both of these electric bikes are using a new high performance Panasonic GXO mid drive motor offering 90 newton meters of torque. The motor weighs just weighs 2.95kg (6.5lbs) and is very compact (as shown later in the video).

The Passepartout uses an external battery pack that comes in two sizes (high and low capacity). It's easily removable and tips out to the left. Edwin suggested that it could offer up to 75 miles of range per charge when using the 36 volt 12 amp hour battery pack. The Captain Shred has an internal battery and the bike frame is full carbon fiber. It wasn't clear how easily that pack could be removed or whether it would come in different capacities. I noticed that the display panel on the Passepartout showed four levels that begin with Auto, which offers 30% to 300% output (similar to the Bosch CX drive system with eMTB mode). The Panasonic motor seemed smooth and fairly quiet (there was still some electronic whirring but not as high pitched as some competing systems). I was told that they were working on a carbon fiber cover for the motor and reinforcing the carbon fork as well as adding bottle cage bosses to it, which would compliment the bottle cage and rear rack bosses. Apparently they are working on a removable LCD display for the final build and I asked about Micro-USB but it didn't sound like that was a feature. The Passepartout will come in a full size run and two builds with different spec components.

Van Dessel was founded in 1999 and the name comes from the founder's mother's maiden name (her last name before marriage). The founder, Edwin, has been a bike racer who began making his own frames at age 15. The company is based in New Jersey, because that's where Edwin is from. Edwin said that the Panasonic failure rate is only 0.3% which is super low. He did a demo ride using a Wahoo Trainer with virtual ride video interaction that was pretty cool.

A Univega commuter electric bike was also on display at the Van Dessel booth because it's a sister company. These models were built around the Panasonic XO mid-drive motors with 80 newton meters of torque vs. the lighter and more powerful GXO.

Official website with more press materials such as pricing and photos at https://www.vandesselcycles.com/media/

View attachment 28823View attachment 28824
I think any brand that comes with a 36 volt system from 2019 and beyond is cheating it’s customers. Esp. When price is 2k and up !

It is not just the voltage but how it is utilized that matters more. You can have a 48V system with crappy sensors and still get less than average ride quality.
One can use 36V system that is well tuned for a particular application.

Samsung Galaxy S7 active had 4000 mAh battery, iPhone X has 2716 mAh battery and outlasts Samsung in everyway.

The point is we always need to consider the overall system, not just one single component.

If they try to sell a bike 36V, 12Ah battery for $4000, it's not going to work and the market will teach them. They will just become one eBike company that disappeared in no time.
If they offer a neat package with everything and back it up with support and warranty, they will flourish.

Back