Vado SL spoke information needed

Jay12345

Hello,

I recently broke one of the spokes on my Vado SL and can't find a bike store to help me fix it outside them telling me that they are too busy to take in any more bikes or want me to wait 4-6 weeks. I want to try and do it myself now and was wondering what size spokes i needed to order online?

Hi,

It depends on which wheel because the front and rear have different #s of spokes (24 front and 28 rear). There is a spoke calculator here:

Also you need to know the diameter of the wheel, which I believe is 596 mm for DT SWISS R 500, along with the diameter of the spoke holes on the hub, hub geometry widths, and the pattern. Here’s a sample run based on me selecting a DT Swiss hub:
D909DCC7-9D19-4E0C-8385-AE827586799E.jpeg

Hopefully you have a metric scale?

personally I probably would just guesstimate with a length of floss and then buy a selection of a few spokes around that measurement. You’re bound to get one of them right 😁

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently broke one of the spokes on my Vado SL and can't find a bike store to help me fix it outside them telling me that they are too busy to take in any more bikes or want me to wait 4-6 weeks. I want to try and do it myself now and was wondering what size spokes i needed to order online?
remove spoke, carry to lbs, buy spoke and nipple from them.

It’s for the back wheel on the Vado SL 4.0 if that helps. I my nearest bike shop is about 40 mins away by bus which makes it inconvenient for me as I mainly use my bike to commute

I think for anyone to give you an accurate measurement (assuming they have the same bike) they would have to remove a good spoke, and then measure it against a metric scale. Then reinstall it, and re-true the wheel. That’s the only way to get a very precise measurement. Then again it may be completely wrong because it’s not your wheel. What I would suggest is deflating the tire on your bike and removing a good spoke from the opposite side of your broken spoke, then measuring it. After that if you have an approximate measurement you can order a few pre-made spokes of the measured size plus a size longer and a size shorter. There’s only like three gauges of spokes btw, however several different types though. So it kind of makes it hard for someone just to tell you what your wheel has exactly. Perhaps get well-versed on what specification you need. Even after replacement you have to worry about how you can true the wheel. On the other hand I had a 2011 Bridgestone Pedelec assist bike which basically was parked outside its entire life. I rode that with a broken spoke for maybe four years, and then our maid took it. She still rides it I believe.

This website sells singles and has an easy filter for selecting length etc:

Have you called Specialized to ask what the correct spoke is for the wheel? Realize getting live people is hard these days but they should have the specs readily available.

Back