Vado 5 Question

VADO 5 Biker

Dear cyclists,
I have had a Specialized Vado 5 since June.
I am very happy with it and have now driven about 1350 km.
I do have some questions about the display.
1) How can I best use the cadence.
2) What does the POWER actually indicate? is this electrical or mechanical power
3) Coherence between Cadence / Power.
Who can tell me more about this.
Thank you for your comments.

(2) Your TCD-W display indicates:
  • Your leg power input
  • Your cadence
(1) My experience with Vado 5 is the most efficient cadence would be 80-90. Anything above 70 is very good.

(3) I could be wrong but I figured out the power consumption from the battery does not depend on cadence if constant speed is maintained (which is very rare situation). However, it is very different on acceleration. When accelerating, the lower gear you are the higher cadence is needed but the force with which you press pedals (translated to torque at the crank) is lower than in high gear. That in turn, requires the motor to provide less assistance, the lower current flows through the motor, and you save the battery energy.

What I said above is especially valid for urban riding, with multiple stops at the junctions. Downshift dramatically before any planned stop (your Shimano SLX shifters allow downshifting three gears at a single deep click). Re-start your ride at high cadence, gradually shifting up as long as you can keep the high cadence. The saving on battery charge will be significant.

As a resident of the Netherlands, you probably drive a manual transmission car. Apply similar technique as with starting the car at the green signal. Downshift before stop, shift up while getting at speed, maintaining preferred (possibly high) cadence.

Hello Stefan, thank you for your message. I was on vacation for a number of days, so I could not immediately respond to your answer. Your story is clear to me. My cadence is usually well above 70 so I'm fine with that. Also the possibility to save energy by switching back and up when accelerating. I am also very satisfied with my Vado 5. I think the finish is beautiful and the parts used are of good quality. As you have already mentioned, the Netherlands is a flat country, so I can also travel great distances. When it is almost windless I can drive about 100 km. With a lot of wind about 80km. I am satisfied with this for the time being. Thanks again. Greetings Hans
DSC00315.jpeg

I'm very glad to hear it! Join our User Club in the Specialized subforum!

P.S. Our province of Mazovia in Poland is also flat, and I have similar experiences to you.

Back