Vado 5.0: motor suddenly a grinding whirring sound and no power

vadoman

Region
Europe
Hello,

A 2017 Specialized Vado 5.0 with only 2400km on the odometer. I bought it when it had 800km on the odometer.

I started a ride, realized I forgot something at home, went back to get it, and suddenly the motor stopped working. When I pedal, I hear a grinding, whirring sound that gets more intense the harder I push. When the bike is off, I can pedal normally. I have no idea what could be wrong all of a sudden. I turned it around and noticed a motor with a label that says: do not open...

My regular bike mechanic is not familiar with speed pedelecs, and the Specialized dealer won't add me to their customer database. Specialized can't help because it's a 2017 model...

Well, what could be the issue. What should I try now? thanks

Hello,

A 2017 Specialized Vado 5.0 with only 2400km on the odometer. I bought it when it had 800km on the odometer.

I started a ride, realized I forgot something at home, went back to get it, and suddenly the motor stopped working. When I pedal, I hear a grinding, whirring sound that gets more intense the harder I push. When the bike is off, I can pedal normally. I have no idea what could be wrong all of a sudden. I turned it around and noticed a motor with a label that says: do not open...

My regular bike mechanic is not familiar with speed pedelecs, and the Specialized dealer won't add me to their customer database. Specialized can't help because it's a 2017 model...

I would drop it at a specialized authorized dealer repair shop for an assessment. You have no warranty whether you were the original owner or not given that the bike is 6 years old. Determine what the problem is and what the cost to repair might be and go from there. It might be possible that they assist you to determine the problem at which point you might be able to buy parts and handle a repair yourself if necessary.

It is a damaged motor.

Specialized can't help because it's a 2017 model...
Bullshit. The Vado I own is a 2017 5.0 model. The motor is Specialized 1.2s. Mine failed after 8,950 miles and was easily found in the Specialized stock*. Yes it cost me over US$1,000 but was provided and replaced by a qualified Specialized LBS.

------------
*) I'm in Europe. The dealer looked into the database and laughed: "There are fifty 1.2s motors in the EU stock!"

P.S. It is a torn carbon fibre drive belt inside the motor. There are (as I hear) independent services that can repair Brose motors (yours is Brose TF).

Last edited:

My motor failed after 2 years 3 months, 7500 miles, on my turbo VADO. This is the second failure and I just had the motor replaced again, Brose S motor C97272-100. The cost was 1000 US to get it fixed at my LBS.
I kept the old motor and when I opened it up, as I thought, the belt was shredded. Is it possible to get a better replacement belt in the US for future use?

Back