User Manual: Two Stars

LeftyS7

I have a 2020 Explorer and I was given 3 Manuals by dealer. Hybrid User Manual V6.8, How It Works User Manual V6.6, and Giant Bicycle Owner's Manual V11. None of them tell how to adjust the shocks or how to set Bluetooth to get a read out as Giant chintzed on the 2020 and removed the Ride Control display.

Is there a later manual that I don't have?

How do I adjust the shocks? There is a knob on the right which shows how to tighten and loosen it but not one on the left. Surely the right knob doesn't control both sides.

How does one work the Ride Control? Where is the app? How do I work it?

I have a 2020 Explorer and I was given 3 Manuals by dealer. Hybrid User Manual V6.8, How It Works User Manual V6.6, and Giant Bicycle Owner's Manual V11. None of them tell how to adjust the shocks or how to set Bluetooth to get a read out as Giant chintzed on the 2020 and removed the Ride Control display.

Is there a later manual that I don't have?

How do I adjust the shocks? There is a knob on the right which shows how to tighten and loosen it but not one on the left. Surely the right knob doesn't control both sides.

How does one work the Ride Control? Where is the app? How do I work it?

That's a yes for Q1. The left column on my Explore hides the air valve.

Side note: my shocks were chronically underpumped when I picked up my bike (40 psi) so don't assume your LBS has set the bike up correctly. A recurring theme around these forums of late seems to be one of systemic failure on the part of LBS's to build, service and repair bikes in a competent fashion. But I appreciate these are stressful times for small business owners.

This is the best you'll get in terms of app info: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/ridecontrol-app. Everything should be relatively self-explanatory once you download the app - assuming you can get it to connect..

Last edited:
Thanks, but how do you adjust the shocks with the knob?

You mean the tension or the air valve? For the former turn clockwise to loosen the tension (more travel = more 'spongy'), or counter-clockwise to tighten (less travel = more brittle). Fully CCW will lock the suspension completely, meaning no travel at all. If you want to fine tune your shocks there's some guides online, but you'll need a shock pump or your LBS: https://www.mantel.com/blog/en/how-to-set-your-front-fork-suspension.

Thanks again but is there a chart for correct PSI per rider's weight. None on the shocks.
I've never found a chart for adjusting the shock pressure. The common suggestion is that the shock should compress only about 20% with the rider's weight on it. Often there is a rubber o-ring on the shock that you first put at the fully uncompressed setting, sit on the bike with your full weight so that the o-ring moves down and then measure. Adjust the air pressure to suit your riding preferences. Even two people of the same weight and with the same bike very likely prefer different shock settings. So experiment is the name of the game.

I didn't know the right knob could actually adjust the pressure... I suspect that it doesn't really. That is to set the shock either locked (no suspension) or unlocked.

I've never found a chart for adjusting the shock pressure. The common suggestion is that the shock should compress only about 20% with the rider's weight on it. Often there is a rubber o-ring on the shock that you first put at the fully uncompressed setting, sit on the bike with your full weight so that the o-ring moves down and then measure. Adjust the air pressure to suit your riding preferences. Even two people of the same weight and with the same bike very likely prefer different shock settings. So experiment is the name of the game.

I didn't know the right knob could actually adjust the pressure... I suspect that it doesn't really. That is to set the shock either locked (no suspension) or unlocked.
Another reason the User Manual is inadequate.

Thanks

I have a 2020 Trance E 1 Pro and on the left shock is a chart showing suggested settings for various rider weights. For instance I weigh 140 lbs and the chart says that my shocks
325A5921-7256-4186-B17D-D05ABA6EBC1F.jpeg
F85C2F80-1BE4-462E-AC70-AFF672548FC9.jpeg
should be between 58 and 68 lbs pressure. The attached photo is pretty good so hopefully you can see your correct setting. The other photo shows the little pump that I use to set the pressure. The valve is under the plastic cap on the left shock.

Back