US Ebike market doubles

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Supposedly doubling to 600,000 Ebikes here in 2020.

If you look into how these are 'counted' , that estimate is low. Ed Benjamin has always undercounted, as he for some reason doesn't seem to want the traditional bike big 4 brands sales numbers to look too terrible , which are quite frankly, when compared to so many other brands you never previously heard of before Ebikes got this popular. (Their dominance in bikes has not at all translated to similar dominance in Ebikes. Thankfully.)

Supposedly too, 85% of Americans are not aware of what an ebike is or that they exist.

Netherlands with a far smaller population than ours, 17 million, is buying 420,000 Ebikes this year. We have 330 million or so ? We need to get off our butts, put them on ebike seats, and step up our game here folks ! ;)

Demand could double. Maybe. But stock available ?

The market could double, however, if the pandemic subsides next year people may return to their sedentary ways. ;)
It's possible. Another consideration is, many will have less free time to ride a bike simply because they have to go back to work.

It's possible. Another consideration is, many will have less free time to ride a bike simply because they have to go back to work.

From nov. 15-April 1st week very few (the regulars let's say) will ride bikes or ebikes. You know how is here..once it gets called , they will put the bikes in garage/storage.

Doubles in potential maybe. I'm pretty sure a market has two sides. A supplier and a receiver. Not a whole lot of receivin goin on around here. 🤔

Good question.
Top 5 under 1.5k maybe Radpower , Aventon, Magnum , Lectric xp, Surface.

Then it should be above 2k: Giant, Trek, Specialized, and then 5k + for the hi end brands : R&M, Stromer.
Also some of the Gazelle sell well.

Top 5 under 1.5k maybe Radpower , Aventon, Magnum , Lectric xp, Surface.

Then it should be above 2k: Giant, Trek, Specialized, and then 5k + for the hi end brands : R&M, Stromer.
Also some of the Gazelle sell well.
Interesting... can you share any data to support this claim? ;)

Last edited:
Interesting... can you share any data to support this claim? ;)
The top 5 is from reading the data about them on various sites. Esp. Lectric, Rad and Magnum. Maybe Juiced and Aventon qualifies there too.

The others is just from my own research, That is also common sense : cheap ebikes or uner 1.5k ebikes are popular now and who makes the cheap bikes ? those brands that i had mentioned earlier .
And why are they popular ? because most people cannot afford a $3000 or 5000$ ebike.

Yeah I'm not sure.. I'm just wondering how many people are actually using ebike as car replacement or everyday commute.
Good observation , made me think about it.. I'm in Ny/Nj area , i also go to Nyc and Long island often and frankly all i see is delivery guys on the sub 2k ebikes and lately i see newer ones on those brands : Radpower, Juiced. There are a lot more regular people using cheap e scooters then ebikes. Probably 50:1ratio. I hope those people know that is 900$ and ambulance ride and 125$ ppe (mask, gloves) equipment bill.
Lately i noticed a few of the little mini ebikes with small wheels.

I think in 3 years of riding over 12k miles i saw 3 Stromers , a few Terns , 1 BH Easy motion , 1 Bulls and several Magnums. Stromers were very popular in Ny but the only shop in Ny (Nyce wheels) that was fixing them closed down and the other ebike shop is overwhelmed with their own customers.

So I hardly see anyone using a proper quality ebikes for commuting or car replacement. At the Whole foods bike rack i never saw an ebike, besides mine's.
Then on my longer weekend rides i see very few e road bikes ( the cheaper ones) and 1-2emtb. But the US is BIG , maybe other regions have a different ratio.

Back