Upper battery mount - missing screw and cracked

Citycrosser

I posted this a week and half ago in the general discussion portion of the forum but thought I should post it here as well. I experienced a flat on my Magnum+ and upon flipping the bike over onto a rubber work mat to work on it, the battery fell out. I then discovered that a screw was missing in the upper battery mount. I replaced the screw but the battery was still loose. Upon further inspection, it appears that the upper mount is cracked:
9ef37311-8efc-4868-8393-b4ae4b6cdb23-jpeg.24728

I emailed Magnum and they stated to return it to the selling dealer for repair. I'll be dropping it off this week and will update the forum as to how it goes! Meanwhile, I won't have my commuter.....so I'll be driving. Also, I'm right around 1,000 miles on the bike.

I saw the other thread, checked mine and it’s good. I appreciate you posting because even though I do a weekly screw check on my bike, I never thought of checking the battery mount. I do now.

Got over 1,100 miles on mine in a little over 2 months. So far all good.

I saw the other thread, checked mine and it’s good. I appreciate you posting because even though I do a weekly screw check on my bike, I never thought of checking the battery mount. I do now.

Got over 1,100 miles on mine in a little over 2 months. So far all good.

Thanks. I had been checking screws and such every weekend but also never thought to check the battery mounts. Glad to hear yours is nice and tight!

I appreciate you posting this. When I saw your previous post I checked both of our bikes and there are no signs of problems at this point. It is something I will be checking on a routine basis though.

Update on this mess:

8/29: Dropped of the Metro+ at the LBS where I purchased it (Sleek E-bikes in Tarrytown, NY) - Edward, the owner, is great
8/31: He had the upper mount replaced and ready to go. BUT, he noticed a rear spoke was broken so he ordered a bunch of spokes.

And that's where it sits. As of yesterday, he was told by Magnum that the spokes shipped on Monday, the 10th, but he hadn't received them yet. I'm hoping they get in soon as school has started back up so traffic has become worse and driving stinks anyway. The e-bike commute is much more pleasant.

I don't know when or how the spoke broke but the rail trail that I take to work is old and beat up badly in sections with some pretty bad bumps so I suppose it happened on one of those. I'll need to slow down for the bumpier sections in the future.

Update: Edward called me Thursday afternoon stating he had "borrowed" some spokes from his floor model Magnum Metro+ as Magnum still hadn't shipped the spokes (it seems they don't have any). Another good reason to buy from an LBS! I picked the bike up yesterday and its all good. I will be ordering a tool to measure spoke tension so I can make sure they stay tight.

That upper battery mount is a common part used by a number of manufacturers. The mount on my JuicedBike cracked in the exact same place. It would be nice to see if a company could injection mold their own battery mount made of a stronger plastic.

Back