Upgrading rear derailleur, casette and chain - my experience

eagamer80

Hi,

As I posted before when I upgraded the chainring and the bottom bracket, I was gonna do a post about my upgrade of the rear derailleur and the change of my old cassette and chain.

For the upgrades I selected the following components:

- For the rear derailleur, I chose a Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10, mainly due to the fact it has a chain tension lever which it comes very handy, specially when you pedal at high speeds downhill and you hit a bump on the road and the chain simply flies away. I try to minimize the chain jump as much as possible. But even after this upgrade, I sometimes drop the chain anyway (I have to say, when I hit something really bad or pedalling fast and changing gears at the same time). Frankly I do not notice a huge difference. My Turbo FLR came a Deore XT without that lever, but for the money the new one cost (around 50 dollars), I decided to take the risk, and in fact the new one work pretty well too.

image_001.jpg

- For the casette I chose a Shimano XT M771 10sp, which it came in a bundle with a Shimano chain. I think is always good to have a spare chain at home.

image_002.jpg

Say no more, let's get hands on: the bike ready for the upgrade

image_003.jpg

The rear wheel with the old casette dismounted (that was pretty easy to do with a small casette lockring like this one)

image_004.jpg

The new casette in place

image_005.jpg

The new rear derailleur mounted (mounting the derailleur was pretty easy too, just read Shimano manual to avoid rookie mistakes):

image_006.jpg

And finally the whole upgrade done

image_007.jpg

I don't think that doing all this took more than 45 minutes, was pretty easy and a rewarding thing to do (and I saved some money too =). And as a bonus, I learned how to do a better maintenance to the rear wheel myself (for example, if deep clean is needed).

The part that took me most time was setting the chain back. I hate chains. But who doesn't. If you buy a new chain, make sure that has the proper amount of links. 116 I think is the correct number for my bike. I bought a chain with 136 links and I had to cut the chain with a chain tool and size it back. Check in ParkTool about sizing a chain if you need more info.

I followed this video to adjust the rear derailleur, which I think is the best guide in the whole internet you could find if you ever have trouble.

Last edited:
Back