Updates from CABDA West 2019

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I just got back from Day 1 of CABDA West at the Del Mar Racetrack in Southern California. This event seems to be taking the place of Interbike, since it was canceled after the Reno Nevada show in late 2018. CABDA stands for Chicago Area Bicycle Dealers Association and is a business to business (B2B) event where brands showcase their new product and discuss wholesale pricing... Unfortunately, it's not open to the public. But, I was able to get in there with my camera to show you what it's all about and highlight some of the new product that we will be seeing for the 2019 model year!

For those who couldn't make Day 1, consider attending Day 2 (tomorrow, January 17th) at Del Mar or CABDA Midwest which is held in Chicago on February 13-14. I asked one of the CABDA reps about a public day (like Interbike used to do, where general members of the public can come and ride on the test track) and they said they were considering doing something like that one day and hoping to do it on a weekend day. Other fun facts:
  • CABDA has only been held four times previously, always in Chicago! This was the first time in California
  • The name CABDA doesn't really fit for "Chicago Area" anymore, but perhaps it could also stand for "California Area Bicycle Dealers Association" now too?
  • Attendance was reported at 40% higher than expected, they saw over 1,800 registrations with 950 attendees on day 1, they expect the show to double in size for 2020
  • The official CABDA website is https://www.cabda.com/
Here are some fun pictures I snapped during the show, there wasn't really a test track outside with ramps or bumps, just a big parking lot. The show is part indoors and part outdoors and we were lucky that the rain let up, there's an 80% chance of rain on Day 2 (Jan 17th).

cabda-west-bike-show.jpg2019-aventon-electric-bikes-at-cabda.jpg2019-bh-electric-bikes-at-cabda-joe-latino-sales-manager.jpg2019-cero-shimano-ebike-cabda-west.jpg2019-felt-electric-bikes-at-cabda-west.jpg2019-gocycle-ebikes-cabda-west.jpg2019-magnum-ebikes-at-cabda-jesse-lapim.jpg2019-tern-electric-bikes-at-cabda-steve-boyd.jpg2019-urban-arrow-ebikes-at-cabda-west.jpg2019-zeitgeist-electric-bike-cabda-west-kartik-ram.jpg2019-cabda-ebike-show-del-mark-race-track.jpgdel-mar-race-track.jpg

Ebike brands I saw at CABDA 2019: Da Vinci Electric Tandem, Felt, iGo, AddMotoR, Bosch, Urban Arrow, GreenBike Electric Motion, Gazelle, Magnum, Tern, Aventon, Wildsyde, Stromer ST1 and ST3, CUBE, BULLS, Electra Café, Poseidon, KHS with MPF Drive, Haro, Yuba, IZIP, Haibike, Raleigh, Gocycle, CERO, Zeitgeist.

Interesting non-ebike highlights: Cush Core foam inserts for running mountain bike tires at low pressure (protects the rim against big impact and supports the sidewalls to reduce tire role and burping, dampen vibration), Green Guru recycled bags and bike accessories.

Last edited:
Better than being there. Those eBakfiets are pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing Court.

Last edited:
Great Court! This is in my neck of the woods. I will check into this for sure being they cancelled last years E-bike Expo which was a stone throw from where I live as well. Good coverage too. :cool:

I am pretty sure that pimped out gold 20"er with the spare tire has been making the trade show rounds for at least the last 5 years as I remember seeing it, or one just like it, at Interbike in Vegas one of the last years I attended?

Thanks for the video and reinforcing my original comment about actually better than being there. It seems like the 10 x 10 booth space sales and marketing concept isn't dead yet however and I'll be interested to see the attendance figures.

Back