ULTIMATE COMMUTER PRO - TITANIUM

Westlafadeaway

Region
USA
I wanted to show off my new toy. It's got a kindernay, unrestricted, 2300 watt ultra. I've ridden it about 80 miles now. I have a 13 mile commute (working remotely but I'll be going back to work full time soon) with about 200 feet climbing each way, so pretty flat (I'm still working remote so I've actually only ridden to work once and it was great).

I don't own a car so this is will be my main commuter. I previously biked to the bus, and took the bus, but with COVID, and the fact that I can sometimes spend an hour just waiting for the bus, I wanted to try an ebike as a commuter. I also ride mostly on mostly empty bike path so on long stretches I can really open up the throttle. My route to work does have a bunch of red lights so there's also a lot of stop/go but I can ride a few miles in places with minimal lights.

This bike really serves me well. It is solid and mostly comfortable. It's much bigger than my cannondale and requires a different approach. It has a ton of power. I weigh about 290, and I get to 28 mph in eco mode (I posted a separate question on why I'm still only at 28 mph in sport mode. I'm sure I'm just stupid and not doing something right). I can't make a round trip on one charge though (I might if I wasn't always maxing out the throttle). So I need a second charger for work.

It's the most expensive bicycle I have ever bought and I'm very happy with it. I don't enjoy tinkering and I always hated even greasing the chain regularly. But the belt drive means I can wear work pants and not worry about grease stains on my legs.

CON: I am about 6'1". I think the dimension of the largest size frame needs about 2 inches added to the top/down tubes. It feels a little compact and my butt is always sitting on the back of the seat (the seat's adjustment is at max). It just feels a little compact. Since this will be used for commuting and I'll use my road bike for recreation, it's not a problem but I really think the frame needs at least 2 inches. I'll need to find a stem that can move the seat back a bit.
IMG-0894.JPG
IMG-0895.JPG
IMG-0896 (1).JPG
IMG-0898 (2).JPG

Oh. I didnt realize this was you :)

If you gear the kindernay to anything above 9 with the throttle , you shoudl be able to get north of 28 quickly. Dont recommend doing a throttle from a stop, so would recommend giving it a running start.

I am considering buying this bike. The titanium frame is beautiful. I have a question about the different wattage options with the Archon controller. I think I would want to start with 750 or 1000 watts. However, I live in the mountains and may need more power than that. If you buy the harness and firmware updates, do you have the ability to change the maximum output of the motor yourself?

I wanted to show off my new toy. It's got a kindernay, unrestricted, 2300 watt ultra. I've ridden it about 80 miles now. I have a 13 mile commute (working remotely but I'll be going back to work full time soon) with about 200 feet climbing each way, so pretty flat (I'm still working remote so I've actually only ridden to work once and it was great).

I don't own a car so this is will be my main commuter. I previously biked to the bus, and took the bus, but with COVID, and the fact that I can sometimes spend an hour just waiting for the bus, I wanted to try an ebike as a commuter. I also ride mostly on mostly empty bike path so on long stretches I can really open up the throttle. My route to work does have a bunch of red lights so there's also a lot of stop/go but I can ride a few miles in places with minimal lights.

This bike really serves me well. It is solid and mostly comfortable. It's much bigger than my cannondale and requires a different approach. It has a ton of power. I weigh about 290, and I get to 28 mph in eco mode (I posted a separate question on why I'm still only at 28 mph in sport mode. I'm sure I'm just stupid and not doing something right). I can't make a round trip on one charge though (I might if I wasn't always maxing out the throttle). So I need a second charger for work.

It's the most expensive bicycle I have ever bought and I'm very happy with it. I don't enjoy tinkering and I always hated even greasing the chain regularly. But the belt drive means I can wear work pants and not worry about grease stains on my legs.

CON: I am about 6'1". I think the dimension of the largest size frame needs about 2 inches added to the top/down tubes. It feels a little compact and my butt is always sitting on the back of the seat (the seat's adjustment is at max). It just feels a little compact. Since this will be used for commuting and I'll use my road bike for recreation, it's not a problem but I really think the frame needs at least 2 inches. I'll need to find a stem that can move the seat back a bit. View attachment 85104View attachment 85105View attachment 85106View attachment 85107
Hey now, where's the stealie on that bike? Weir everywhere!

Westlafadeaway, what do you think of the Kindernay hub? How's the shifting?
This is my first ebike. My previous bikes were analog road bikes, usually Cannondales with 105s. So I can't really compare to anything else, which may spoil me. The left trigger is to shift up to a harder resistance and the left goes down. Similar to the 105s, you can do one click for one gear move or 3 clicks for 3 gears and when I'm looking to get to fast speed fast I skip a lot of gears. No issues with gears at all and it is very smooth and pretty quiet. The gears tell you when you are doing something it doesn't like- like shifting under load.

I have a tendency on my road bike to always have a little pressure on one pedal when waiting for a light at a stop, and the shifter locks up when I do try to shift, so I have to take my foot off the pedals or in a neutral position completely to shift down at a stop.

One issue I have is not knowing what gear I am in (no indicators). To get around that I pedal to get a feel for where I am in the gears and when I'm starting out. There is a slight ping/thud under load when I accelerate without pedaling, so I tend to pedal a little before throttling. I've reached out to Kindernay to say they really should have a video of what to look for as far as noises so people riding in traffic are not trying to learn while dodging cars. They responded asking for my IGH's ID #, so we'll see.

I live in a valley and so it's flat. I rarely start out in the lowest gears- there's just no need, as in a few feet you have to shift again. And the motor I think doesn't like the top 14th gear- it's too hard and I can't seem to get enough momentum where the motor goes faster under the 14th gear. So really I'm using gears 4 to 12, maybe 13-14 if I had a strong wind to my back or going downhill.

The PAS is really smooth. It's gentle at the start and if you start putting a heavy load you can really feel the power without it being jerky. My route's bike path has a series of red lights that I always hit, and you have to hit the beg button and it is spaced for pedestrians not cyclists, so you engage the beg button then do a small loop to get to where the ramp to the street level is... having that gentle power is really nice in these instances. It's a heavy bike and to do a tight circle over and over would be a pain with too much power.

Hey now, where's the stealie on that bike? Weir everywhere!
880481_orig.jpg

In the works!!!! The bike has no headbadge. I'm thinking of something like this for a headbadge (or a picture of the terrapin playing a banjo) but it needs the red, white and blue to show my USA love! I also need to find someone to weld it on so it can't be pried off... https://www.headbadges.com/portfolio.html

Last edited:
Oh. I didnt realize this was you :)

If you gear the kindernay to anything above 9 with the throttle , you shoudl be able to get north of 28 quickly. Dont recommend doing a throttle from a stop, so would recommend giving it a running start.
No.... only when wind is to my back can I hit anything above 28. Maybe my fat ass is responsible?

I don't throttle from the start, I typically pedal as it helps me get my bearing as to what gear I'm in- once I hit 20 all I hear is wind and can't hear anything else. I can hit 20 mph quickly, but then it kind of fades.

No.... only when wind is to my back can I hit anything above 28. Maybe my fat ass is responsible?

I don't throttle from the start, I typically pedal as it helps me get my bearing as to what gear I'm in- once I hit 20 all I hear is wind and can't hear anything else. I can hit 20 mph quickly, but then it kind of fades.
Hmm. What gear are you on when you are using the throttle ?

880481_orig.jpg

In the works!!!! The bike has no headbadge. I'm thinking of something like this for a headbadge (or a picture of the terrapin playing a banjo) but it needs the red, white and blue to show my USA love! I also need to find someone to weld it on so it can't be pried off... https://www.headbadges.com/portfolio.html
Perfect!!!! I'll have to get one like that for my Helios. Going to the Mexico shows? Too bad we can't take the bikes easily.

Perfect!!!! I'll have to get one like that for my Helios. Going to the Mexico shows? Too bad we can't take the bikes easily.
No - I can't justify spending $4 grand- I'm not the resort type. I've seen them about 50 times, so I've gotten my fill and will wait. In spring 2019 I caught the New York shows (Madison Square Garden, the Nassau shows), and the 4 Cali shows (Los Angeles and San Francisco)! Good times! I wish they'd play the Gorge amphitheater again- that place was a blast.

No - I can't justify spending $4 grand- I'm not the resort type. I've seen them about 50 times, so I've gotten my fill and will wait. In spring 2019 I caught the New York shows (Madison Square Garden, the Nassau shows), and the 4 Cali shows (Los Angeles and San Francisco)! Good times! I wish they'd play the Gorge amphitheater again- that place was a blast.
The Gorge is my local venue. I caught all those shows in NY&Cali, the best yet, although I think I came home with COVID. By the time I spring for good tix, flights, hotels etc.... I think Mexico is about the same

I'd be interested in knowing how much further you can travel or how much battery you have left, if you don't use the throttle. It's a beautiful bike for sure.

I'd be interested in knowing how much further you can travel or how much battery you have left, if you don't use the throttle. It's a beautiful bike for sure.
One challenge I have is that at 28 mph it gets a little hard to pedal, hold on, and pay attention to my surroundings. At that speed I pedal to get a feel for what is the right gear, then just end up hitting the throttle and enjoying the experience of the motor. I think I need to add pedal clips.

But I'll check. As others have said, there's so many variables it's hard to say but maybe this weekend I'll get you something. My wife would be happy as I need the exercise. I suffer from Covid-potato disease.

The Gorge is my local venue. I caught all those shows in NY&Cali, the best yet, although I think I came home with COVID. By the time I spring for good tix, flights, hotels etc.... I think Mexico is about the same
Lucky man! I was at D&Cs last shows at the Gorge (first and only time, sadly, for me). What a great venue! One of my favorites. I try to vend when I can- I sold fresh coffee on Shakedown... it at least paid for the tickets.

Lucky man! I was at D&Cs last shows at the Gorge (first and only time, sadly, for me). What a great venue! One of my favorites. I try to vend when I can- I sold fresh coffee on Shakedown... it at least paid for the tickets.
Was that you set up in the middle of the walkway, at shakedown Gorge? I think I bought coffee from you, ha

Probably! I had a hand grinder and did pour overs.... and cold brew too. I sold a lot of coffee. Normally I roast my own (so the cost is only $8/pound) but didn't have time so I had to buy Starbucks.... Next time I'll drive up and bring a stove and sell food.

The Gorge is such a beautiful place.

Back