Turning motor on and off during rides

superdave

Region
Canada
City
Vancouver
I am trying to be efficient with my battery consumption, so I often turn my motor off during rides, when I don't need it. Does it wear the motor out over time, if I turn it on and off constantly during rides? Or is it better for the motor's life expectancy if I keep it on, and leave it on Eco whenever I'm on flat/downhill roads? I live in an area where there are many hills.

Update: I own a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0. I often set my speed to 0, which I think turns off the motor, whenever I am on a downhill or long stretch of flat road. But that means switching between 0 and the other 3 modes. I wonder whether switching back and forth between 0 and the other modes often can wear the motor. Hope this clarifies.

Last edited:
Depending on the bike you have, the controller turns the motor on and off many times during a ride. Just using PAS 0 keeps it off all the time on many bikes. If you are referring to the main power switch on the display or battery, I'd be more concerned about wearing out the switch than the motor.

The battery drain from the bike electronics alone (no motor) is minimal. On my bike, it's less than 500 ma and unless left on for prolonged periods, doesn't have a significant effect on range per charge.

Perhaps if you post the make & model of your bike, someone may offer more specific advice.

Sometimes the manuals for these things leaves a lot to be desired. I will be honest, when I got my Creo, I did not realize there was a mode that kept the overall power ON but turned off pedal assistance power. I was saving power but turning off all power to the bike. Much easier with the Creo's remotes where pressing the DOWN power takes it to the non-assist mode. Using the toptube button does not cycle to non-assist, you have to press and briefly hold to get that, and press too long and you turn off all power.

I am trying to be efficient with my battery consumption, so I often turn my motor off during rides, when I don't need it. Does it wear the motor out over time, if I turn it on and off constantly during rides? Or is it better for the motor's life expectancy if I keep it on, and leave it on Eco whenever I'm on flat/downhill roads? I live in an area where there are many hills.

Update: I own a Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0. I often set my speed to 0, which I think turns off the motor, whenever I am on a downhill or long stretch of flat road. But that means switching between 0 and the other 3 modes. I wonder whether switching back and forth between 0 and the other modes often can wear the motor. Hope this clarifies.
I don't know the Vado specifically, but I agree: Go ahead and set assistance to zero whenever you are on level terrain or going downhill. I don't see any other solution for longer rides. Hard to imagine how this could hurt the motor. What I would NOT do, as everyone else is also saying, is shut off the bike completely, just for safety reasons-- if you suddenly want assistance, you can get it more quickly if you don't have to reboot the controller, which takes about 5 seconds on my bike.

I also live in a neighborhood with steep hills, and if I want to stay off city streets, there is almost no 10 mile ride that doesn't involve 1,000 feet of vertical. For rides over 30 miles, I always dial down the assistance to zero for flat or downhill terrain, though note: Once you've reached maximum downhill speed you are comfortable with, you're coasting and not using battery anyway no matter what mode you are in. Thus, if I want to go really fast, I might start a descent at max assist to ramp up to high speed quickly, but once I've reached about 20 MPH, the assistance cuts out anyway. So I might wait until later, when I'm on the flats, to set assistance to "OFF." (This is also because at 35+ MPH speeds, I want to be totally focused on the road and traffic.)

There's a route around the Hollywood reservoir that's pretty flat. If I have plenty of juice, I'll take the whole thing in Eco at 17 to 19 MPH because it's just more fun to ride fast. But if I'm getting close to reserve, I'll take it at 11 to 13 MPH with the motor off, and obviously that saves a lot of juice.

Similarly, to extend range, (you may already know this), go slower going uphill, downshift, use a high cadence with a circular leg motion, trying to deliver power from your foot to the pedals even as you backpedal/pedal upwards (I don't use clips, but use high-traction shoes), and use as little assistance as you can stand. In Griffith Park, sure, I'll have fat bikes-- and sometimes even roadies-- passing me going uphill, which feels weird, but... they're probably not going on 30 mile rides!

When I first got my bike, I estimated it's max range at 35 miles.

16 months and 700 miles later, I have hit 42 miles with some reserve. I estimate total range at 45 miles with 5,000 feet of vertical-- and one hell of a workout!

My mistake. I thought you were reaching down and turning the complete motor system off, or maybe that is what you were doing. I always turn my system on but I seldom need assist on start up so ride around without assist, and use the handlebar switch to go from no assist to the different levels as needed. I don't think you can get around that.

My mistake. I thought you were reaching down and turning the complete motor system off, or maybe that is what you were doing. I always turn my system on but I seldom need assist on start up so ride around without assist, and use the handlebar switch to go from no assist to the different levels as needed. I don't think you can get around that.
No worries. Yeah, I just go from 0 to 3, and when I don't need assist, I just set it at 0, usually on flat terrain or downhill.

The most simplest way to not use the battery energy downhill is not pedalling at all... The motor switches off whenever not pedalled disregarding the assist level.

Several weeks ago I did an 89 mile ride with my 2022 Vado 5.0. Mostly flat paved roads along the NJ shoreline. Of that 89 miles, I "tested" this concept of using no power as well as testing my endurance. So, I completed the 1st 1/2 of the ride (45 miles) with ZERO (0) assistance, just pedaling the 50+ lb. bike + my 228 lbs. Surprisingly, I used almost 10% of the battery with zero assistance during that 45-mile beginning, which I'd attribute to the light, the Garmin radar, and who knows what else. More recently I did a 37-mile ride last weekend with the 1st 30 miles at zero assistance and on that ride, I disabled the Garmin radar, my remaining battery was still at 100% at the beginning of using the assistance (at 31 miles into the trip).

I have a Creo and have the Di2 hack with the power button built into the left shifter. I use the bike on zero assist most of the time and only tend to use the battery on hilly and strong headwinds. As a result, my last 85 miles used only 30% battery. Have access to the power switch like the Di2 hack does make you use the power setting far more often than top tube control.

Back