Turbo Creo SL Questions...

cj3209

Region
USA
I just picked up a used 2021 Turbo Creo SL EVO expert. Love it. From the Mission Control App, it looks like the bike has had over 3,000 miles. Now, I'm guessing that some of the mileage is without the motor working so I'd say the motor has around 2,000 miles. Anyone know what the general lifespan of the motor is? I'm hoping it should last at least 8,000 miles before it needs to be replaced.

On a recent 65 mile ride, my chain came off twice after going over some big potholes. So, I flipped the clutch on the rear derailleur and that seems to have stopped the chain from coming off. I wonder if the chain needs to be replaced?

The handlebar button controls are really helpful in that I don't have to look down to adjust the motor levels.

I just picked up a used 2021 Turbo Creo SL EVO expert. Love it. From the Mission Control App, it looks like the bike has had over 3,000 miles. Now, I'm guessing that some of the mileage is without the motor working so I'd say the motor has around 2,000 miles. Anyone know what the general lifespan of the motor is? I'm hoping it should last at least 8,000 miles before it needs to be replaced.

On a recent 65 mile ride, my chain came off twice after going over some big potholes. So, I flipped the clutch on the rear derailleur and that seems to have stopped the chain from coming off. I wonder if the chain needs to be replaced?

The handlebar button controls are really helpful in that I don't have to look down to adjust the motor levels.
Enjoy the bike.

My chain had/has come off at least a dozen times. getting jammed between the chainring and the motor housing. Fortunately, with all the tugging and pulling the chain seems to have survived. Specialized does sell a little doohickey that attaches to a screw on the motor to keep it from popping off. But, yes, the clutch must be engaged.

But, yes, the clutch must be engaged.
How odd. I ride a Vado SL with exactly the same motor. It has never happened to me to have the chain dropped. Perhaps it is because I have always had the clutch on on my three e-bikes equipped with that device? I even do not use the chainguard on my full power Vado!

The key is not to pedal backwards ):

I had emailed the Specialized help section inquiring about motor longevity and they couldn't answer the question. I'm sure there is information on this, at least known by the engineers who designed this motor, but it looks like they don't wish to share what they have. Perhaps it's an ongoing question and the answer depends on many factors.
My 1.1 motor has 8,000 miles on it with no evidence of wear, from my unscientific viewpoint.

Regarding longevity and chaindrop-- I have a 2020 Creo, now 17,400 miles, 400 recharges or so, working great. So far amazingly reliable. Of course I maintain everything well. I've had chain drop issues, they seem to be fixed once I learned of counterfeit Shimano chains on amazon, and now I order through my LBS. Plus I put on an aftermarket chain keeper that keeps the chain off the frame, now rarely drops onto the crankarm. Also did a chainring replacement at 12000 miles or so. I continue to be impressed with the Creo's performance.

Back