Trump's tariffs

Pedego raised the price of their Platinum Interceptor by almost $400. I managed to get hold of one at the old price though. Picking it up today.

Not sure what is being protected by the tariff of ebikes except the oil and gas industry. We have long since outsourced most of our manufacturing to Asia so that corporate executives could get bigger paychecks and bonuses. There is not enough infrastructure here making any of the components to even have a realistic chance of a "Made in USA" ebike (maybe "Assembled in USA" at best).

My guess is this tariff will be short lived as it has no tangible merit other than a bargaining chip but the negotiations don't seem to be going well.

Pedego raised the price of their Platinum Interceptor by almost $400. I managed to get hold of one at the old price though. Picking it up today.

A little surprising considering they are the one company that could of absorbed the tariff considering their profit margins. Close to $5000 with options ? Really ?

A little surprising considering they are the one company that could of absorbed the tariff considering their profit margins. Close to $5000 with options ? Really ?

I suspect the dealers are using the tariffs to raise prices as well. I paid $3970 for the Platinum Interceptor with all the options.

I agree with you though. Considering the marginal increases imposed by some other makers, I think Pedego could have minimized theirs as well. Time will tell if they lose market share as a result.

Trump ebikes.jpg

I noticed the price increase when I was cargobike shopping. It has also affected SHARS import tooling, machining is sometimes a hobby of mine.

Sure, I can buy american made tools for 5X the price, or I just might stop learning machining on my own if it requires new tools :(

I'm also not sure which ebike companies the tariff is protecting. Doesn't make sense.

Back