Trek Rear Wheel Fail

The number that matters is the distance between the stays, together. Easier to measure at the frame with the wheel off. And then, your aftermarket wheel has to match that.

You measured a 5mm difference on one side. That could be a 142mm rear end versus a 146, with the 1mm difference from your measurements made up on the other side. Another (more likely?) possibility is the difference is Boost vs. Non Boost. Boost is 12x148mm, while a non Boost hub is 12x142. 6mm difference.

What is your bike and what is the web site for the aftermarket wheel? This sounds like a mistake on the spacing of the wheel purchase.

The number that matters is the distance between the stays, together. Easier to measure at the frame with the wheel off. And then, your aftermarket wheel has to match that.

You measured a 5mm difference on one side. That could be a 142mm rear end versus a 146, with the 1mm difference from your measurements made up on the other side. Another (more likely?) possibility is the difference is Boost vs. Non Boost. Boost is 12x148mm, while a non Boost hub is 12x142. 6mm difference.

What is your bike and what is the web site for the aftermarket wheel? This sounds like a mistake on the spacing of the wheel purchase.
Nope. Both hubs measure to 148 exactly. Even my 'go to' tech has NEVER seen this issue and was perplexed as to why Trek would do such a thing

huh... and since the brake rotor is having fitment issues, that means this is not simply a dished wheel. Have you asked Trek directly? I'd be curious as to their answer. It doesn't sound like the thing Surly and a few others do with their hubs on bikes that are meant for wilderness riding, where the front wheel uses rear spacing so you use a rear hub in the front for failover purposes... this would be the opposite of that since fitment is failing on the rear.

huh... and since the brake rotor is having fitment issues, that means this is not simply a dished wheel. Have you asked Trek directly? I'd be curious as to their answer. It doesn't sound like the thing Surly and a few others do with their hubs on bikes that are meant for wilderness riding, where the front wheel uses rear spacing so you use a rear hub in the front for failover purposes... this would be the opposite of that since fitment is failing on the rear.
I pose this question in my vid and in the post here because there are Trek reps lurking here. Let's see if they respond. I may post on their Fb page as well if nothing happens here...

I pose this question in my vid and in the post here because there are Trek reps lurking here. Let's see if they respond. I may post on their Fb page as well if nothing happens here...
Honestly I think its a waste of time trying to get a social media response. I know they don't encourage direct contact via the old-fashioned 800 number but I'd do it anyway. You've already been waiting since at least Monday and if anyone was going to answer they would have long before this. Plus, talking about their products as 'fucking useless' and similar is pretty much guaranteed to get your inquiry ignored.

Back