Trek Powerfly 5 for commuting?

Hi all a left field choice after my consideration of the Giant Quick E vs R&M Charger. Powerfly 5 seems nice with the Power tube battery however it doesn't come with rack, stand, lights or mudguards. The shop would fit the lights and bontrager rack and stand, but I don't like the MTB fenders they are proposing. Pricing wise its about $4400 fitted which is a more than the Quick E but at least a couple of thousand cheaper than the R&M. Main use is commuting followed by light trekking. Thoughts anyone?

Based on my experience (Powerfly 5 for 6 months/3500 km):
  1. Don't even think of having a puncture! The Bontrager tyres are all but impossible to separate from the rms. I suggest swapping them for Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 57-622 which are quiet and extremely unlikely to puncture.
  2. For me cruising speed with power assist is below 25 km/h on the Powerfly. On my first ebike it was above 25 km/h. Different motors have different ways of providing assistance based on pedalling cadence/torque and of tapering off the assistance as the speed limit is reached. My impression was gained using the same GPS computer on both ebikes. In estimating speed, also factor in your age which is probably closer to what mine was when I used to rush around Melbourne on my Malvern Star in the early 1970s.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only thing you're going to have trouble with is the fenders. Given the 2.35" width tires you might want to look at the SKS Bluemels 75 U (https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/bluemels-75-u/)

They're a new release, Sept '18, which are essentially full wrap for 27.5-29 wheels and have the ability to mount onto the front shocks.
Thanks for the fenders tip. Would the rear fender interfere with the rack installation though?

Based on my experience (Powerfly 5 for 6 months/3500 km):
  1. Don't even think of having a puncture! The Bontrager tyres are all but impossible to separate from the rms. I suggest swapping them for Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 57-622 which are quiet and extremely unlikely to puncture.
  2. For me cruising speed with power assist is below 25 km/h on the Powerfly. On my first ebike it was above 25 km/h. Different motors have different ways of providing assistance based on pedalling cadence/torque and of tapering off the assistance as the speed limit is reached. My impression was gained using the same GPS computer on both ebikes. In estimating speed, also factor in your age which is probably closer to what mine was when I used to rush around Melbourne on my Malvern Star in the early 1970s.
... David
Thanks David. In this case would the rockshox suspension be of benefit in commuting? That's a real selling point of the powerfly.

Thanks for the fenders tip. Would the rear fender interfere with the rack installation though?

Well that depends on the bike frame. The rear fenders stay attach around the axle so if you inspect that area of the frame where they normally screw into, on the inside sometimes too, and the other attachment point is an L bracket to that usual cross member piece on the rear stays. The pic on their site is pretty self explanatory.....better than my explanation lol.

Will suspension be of benefit in commuting?
Most likely not.

Speed bumps, kerb-jumping, potholes and tram lines help justify an eMTB, but wider tyres at lower pressure help there, too.

Will suspension be a hindrance? Again, probably not. An eMTB wouldn't head my commuter bike list unless I was permitted to factor in some fun time over weekends - then the equation changes!

Hi all a left field choice after my consideration of the Giant Quick E vs R&M Charger. Powerfly 5 seems nice with the Power tube battery however it doesn't come with rack, stand, lights or mudguards. The shop would fit the lights and bontrager rack and stand, but I don't like the MTB fenders they are proposing. Pricing wise its about $4400 fitted which is a more than the Quick E but at least a couple of thousand cheaper than the R&M. Main use is commuting followed by light trekking. Thoughts anyone?

You could install lights, fenders and rack on a Trek powerfly. Take a look at the image here.
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/trek-powerfly-2019-review/2/
The dealer can set you up without any trouble. You could install any rack,light you would like.

Most likely not.

It's easy to factor in speed bumps, kerb-jumping, potholes and tram lines to help justify an eMTB, but wider tyres at lower pressure help there, too.

Will suspension be a hindrance? Again, probably not. An eMTB wouldn't head my commuter bike list unless I was permitted to factor in some fun time over weekends - then the equation changes!

Dave, I'm looking at this as my one and only bike as I only have space in my apartment for one. Kind of a do it all adventure bike if you will. Change the equation?

Kind of a do-it-all adventure bike... Change the equation?
Yes.

If you have any qualms about using an eMTB for commuting, just remember that a significant fraction of the private cars on Melbourne's streets and freeways are 4x4 SUVs that have been bought for imagined (hopefully actual) weekend excursions into the wild unknown.

Gearing is another consideration. My wife just got a 2018 Pwfly 5 Wmn's. It's geared way lower than her Amiti. Our usual ride is on a local rails-to-trails. With the Amiti she rarely gets to the top gear. Spends most of her time in 5th to 8th. With the Pwfly the chain is slammed all the way over to the smallest cog just about all the time.

The Pwfly is a single-track bike. It's really not a commuter. Don't get me wrong. It's an awesome bike. But there are consequences when you try to plug a round hole with a square peg.

Back