Transporting 2 XP bikes

b-mendenhall

I have 2 XP bikes and have recently purchased a Swagman 64678 (which was difficult to find). Now I am trying to find a cover for the bikes and need any suggestions on what has worked for others. I don't want a full cover, since the bikes are compact. However, that may be a necessity.

I have tried the Lowes 40 gallon container, but I am unable to get the bike to lay down completely in order to get it into my SUV. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for any suggestions.

I have 2 XP bikes and have recently purchased a Swagman 64678 (which was difficult to find). Now I am trying to find a cover for the bikes and need any suggestions on what has worked for others. I don't want a full cover, since the bikes are compact. However, that may be a necessity.

I have tried the Lowes 40 gallon container, but I am unable to get the bike to lay down completely in order to get it into my SUV. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Assuming that the HPs are the same ht as the Step-Thrus, the total ht of the bikes-in-totes(64 gal from Lowes)
is 29 inches WITH THE STEERING POST W/HANDLEBARS REMOVED. (...still connected by elec. cable!)
This should be short enough to fit in any real SUV with the rear seat folded down.

See photos in this post of mine:
*Step-Thrus delivered (Black) w/images & timeline

I say "real" SUV because it has become a pet peeve of mine that almost anything is called an SUV these days,
...regardless of any real capability to carry "Sport" or "Utility" equipment. ( I drive a 4Runner which carries 2 toteified
bikes inside w/ease, and a Tacoma w/roof racks which is also a "real" SUV.)

For cover, I use a furniture(moving) pad. Get one at Harbor Freight.
From outside the vehicle, tote contents can't be seen.

Sorry about the soapbox,...just venting ;-)

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, id am unable to see the photos, please provide if you can.

Try this link:

If no luck, use the "search" at the right-hand top of the page,...search for the title (Step-Thrus Delivered),
or post number - 37490

Let me know how it goes ;-)

i think every vehicle will be different. my experience using totes...i originally bought the Lowes red Craftsman 40 gal.because they didnt have the commader.the XP didnt fit well. sides bulged and are too narrow by a couple inches. i went to another Lowes and bought the 40 gal. commander and the XP fits but very snug and compact. i wish it had wheels but i opted to keep my tote as small as need be to be able down the road to fit 2 bikes in the back of a Subaru Forester.i can leave the handle bars folded and still installed. it clears the hatch opening by loading it on a little bit of an angle. once inside it gains height in the roof and all is good. like others i remove the battery and the seat to lighten the lifting weight. to keep wear and tear down i use an old towel to go in between the tire fold area and secure it with a small length bungee cord going from one side of the lower fork bar to a bar on the rear cargo tray.i make sure to stay away from the spokes or going through the rim as i dont wanna take a chance of the tire spinning the bungee bending spokes. another area to watch is the bike locking latch. when the bike is folded and in the tote the latch can fold over and smash into the battery controller contacts. i use a piece of pipe foam insullation to slide over the latch and bungee the latch so it doesnt flop around. i also use 3 old neoprene water bottle socks to cover each handle bar and one that goes over top of the display screen that i double fold over and rotate the screen down so it protected well. i will take some pics later.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(534).jpg
    FullSizeRender(534).jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 409
  • FullSizeRender(535).jpg
    FullSizeRender(535).jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 390
  • FullSizeRender(536).jpg
    FullSizeRender(536).jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 408
I'm looking for exactly a similar solution. The plastic tubs will not work for me because of the lack of height, and i would prefer for the bike to lay flat so it would not topple if I accelerate or make a sharp turn.

I also want there to be ZERO chance of damaging the car interior. My ideal solution is a thickly padded cover that I can use to enclose the bike with enough padding to keep the bike, and more importantly(!), the interior of the car safe. So it needs to be super tough padding that is thick enough. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know.

I'm thinking worse case scenario, I can buy high quality mover's blankets. Lay down about 5 of them one of top of each other and then essentially wrap the whole bike with them and bundle it all together with rope or bungee.

I could maybe use perhaps 5 layers of mover's blankets followed by a memory foam type layer to keep the bike completely wrapped and covered. It would also then be easier to load in the car horizontally with two people holding the entire wrapped budle from either side.

I'm looking for exactly a similar solution. The plastic tubs will not work for me because of the lack of height, and i would prefer for the bike to lay flat so it would not topple if I accelerate or make a sharp turn.

I also want there to be ZERO chance of damaging the car interior. My ideal solution is a thickly padded cover that I can use to enclose the bike with enough padding to keep the bike, and more importantly(!), the interior of the car safe. So it needs to be super tough padding that is thick enough. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know.

I'm thinking worse case scenario, I can buy high quality mover's blankets. Lay down about 5 of them one of top of each other and then essentially wrap the whole bike with them and bundle it all together with rope or bungee.

I could maybe use perhaps 5 layers of mover's blankets followed by a memory foam type layer to keep the bike completely wrapped and covered. It would also then be easier to load in the car horizontally with two people holding the entire wrapped budle from either side.

Sounds a bit like overkill to me. 5 Moving blankets? One or two doubled(folded)will protect against normal jostling or shifting in the car, unless you are talking bumper-car activity. The foam that the bike comes with, between the folded halves, is what is shown in the photos in my post referred to above. (I will replace that with a tougher 2x2 ft. section of rubber linkable floor pad 1/2 inch thick.) What kind of car are you talking about? Any rear deck, and most rear seats, except in a sub-compact would, I think, offer the 29 inches of height required with the bike folded with the handlebars removed. (Removing the bars is a few-seconds operation, and they are then tucked into the tote beside the bike, as in the photo. I don't think this would be possible with only the 40 gal tote. In the case of the large tote, there is nothing extending outside the tote's sides,...only above the top. Naturally, bar extenders, mirrors, phone, GPS, bell, etc., installed on the bars will make them to unweildy to "tuck", so they will be laid(padded) on top ofthe bike/tote package. The "lack of height" you mention would not be an issue with the bike folded/packed in the tote the way I have it. No toppling! The tote/load, has a flat bottom and a low center of gravity, and at most should only slide/shift a bit, ...unless you intend to drive wildly to your trailhead/riding area ;-). The seat, battery, panniers, will fit elsewhere(smaller tote?) of course. With the whole package blanket-draped, I don't see how either bike or car can be damaged. The two people you mention can load this setup as easily as the "wrapped bundle" you describe. I am aiming at one-person usage at times, so one-person loading will be in order. The (6")wheels of the large tote definitely aid in maneuvering. I have a 5' section of aluminum roller track (think truck loading at UPS or the Post Office,) that I will be using as a ramp, when solo loading. The track and 2 totes, packed as I describe, fit neatly in the rear of a Toyota 4Runner (rear seats down)r. If your vehicle is too small for "sports" hauling, maybe a larger one would be more suited to your activities. Harsh reality - It is difficuolt to get 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack, especially if the load is bundled in 5 blankets! :-0
How do you carry your canoe/kayak/picnic umbrella/cooler/skis/surf/paddleboard/kite/para glider/pet carrier/tent/camp chairs/potty box/kitchen sink, etc.?
Do you not intend to ever go riding with a friend/partner? This means 2 bikes, no? If you are willing to have your bike(s) exposed to weather, dirt, rear-ender damage, thieves, etc., I suggest the hitch rack used by Jeremiah McIntosh, as in his video.

TMI? Does your head hurt yet? Mine does :)

Note to readers of my previous post on the tote method: Roll the tote to the rear of the vehicle wheels first, and lift the wheeled end in first. Otherwise, when you try to lift the non-wheeled end onto the deck, the tote will try to roll away from the car, and if you are alone, it will be difficult to keep it in position until you get to the non-wheeled end to lift/shove the tote in. (If you have a helper, everything goes easier, of course. When you get where you are going, you can fight over who gets to ride the single bike!

Last edited:
Like I said, I want to come as close as possible to there being ZERO chance of damaging the interior of the car, in any way, even if I were to engage in some spirited driving. :p

So my current plan when I get the bike is to get 5 thick moving blankets. Wrap up the bike with the 5 cushioned moving blanket like a burrito and then wrap that with a 2 inch memory foam topper also like a burrito. So basically a double burrito.

This way the bike can be loaded by two people while it is laying on the side and it also lowers the center of gravity.

I'll let you all know how my burrito approach works.

Last edited:
Yeah plastic tubs (40gal) didn't work for me either. too big for my MDX with 1 row down so i returned them and stood them side by side and get a valcro piece for each bike about 18inches long tie wrap it around 1 wheel tight against an anchor point on the side. This way i still have a lot of space left for other stuff and it didn't move at all when drive/turn. I can try to take some pictures tomrorow.

Back