Trace EXC First 300 miles - initial thoughts

My results, so far, are very mixed.

A few days ago I was able to get past 28mph on flat, well paved roads in Roseville, CA.

But, the bike is, out of the blue, pulling back, again.

First, it was at 20mph when I was at the first assist level.

After talking to REI tech support, which read the manual I had already read, back to me, decided I needed to increase the assist level. It was just a guess on our part. The first ride, when I increased the assist level, the pulling went away and it was a satisfactory ride.

Subsequently, on every ride since, again, on flat roads or easy bike trails, at all levels of assist and all speeds, out of the blue, the bike starts pulling again.

I wrote to REI product support and they said I could call DiamondBack myself, or, return the bike.

I haven't given up yet, but, it seems that REI is going through a re-do of all of its bikes, including ebikes.

As a replacement, I'm thinking of a long range Pedego City Commuter, with a little more aggressive tires, or their Ridge Runner, or, ???

My results, so far, are very mixed.

A few days ago I was able to get past 28mph on flat, well paved roads in Roseville, CA.

But, the bike is, out of the blue, pulling back, again.

First, it was at 20mph when I was at the first assist level.

After talking to REI tech support, which read the manual I had already read, back to me, decided I needed to increase the assist level. It was just a guess on our part. The first ride, when I increased the assist level, the pulling went away and it was a satisfactory ride.

Subsequently, on every ride since, again, on flat roads or easy bike trails, at all levels of assist and all speeds, out of the blue, the bike starts pulling again.

I wrote to REI product support and they said I could call DiamondBack myself, or, return the bike.

I haven't given up yet, but, it seems that REI is going through a re-do of all of its bikes, including ebikes.

As a replacement, I'm thinking of a long range Pedego City Commuter, with a little more aggressive tires, or their Ridge Runner, or, ???

My Trace EXC is no longer working properly. The motor sputters along up to around 20 mph
in assist level 1-3.
Assist level 4 is a little bit better. It works fine in throttle mode, however.
REI told me they don't do electrical work and to contact Diamondback. They did not give me the
option to return the bike. I have contacted Curie customer service before about this bike and I will call them this
week.
The salesman at Bike Warehouse told me he has seen a lot of problems with the torque assist on the
bikes they sell with Curie peddle assist motors. These bikes required motor replacement.

If you bought the bike at REI, and are under 1 year of ownership, you can bring it back for a full refund

I ended up calling Currie, and the tech said the problem was my cadence, that I was not pedaling at a consistent rate. A bike computer arrived today with cadence, so, I will try to work a steady cadence to see if that 'fixes' my problem

Back