Too Much Pedal Assist

embeddedprogrammer

Region
USA
I am working on a bike for my friend who has an ANCHEER 26 Inch Wheel New Upgraded Electric Mountain Bike 500W with Removable 36V 12Ah Battery × 1 which was purchased back in June of 2020. He also bought a 250 watt model at the same time and they both work well for over a year now but the 500 watt mode has an issue.

1. This bicycle has a problem in that the LOW, MED, and HiGH all seem to have the same assist level which seems to be HIGH.
  2. Because this is in HIGH assist at all times, the bicycle is too easy to pedal and the rider gets very little exercise.
  3. The LED lights on the controller do change properly so the controller thinks it is working ok.
  4. Paul has other Ancheer bicycles which do work properly so he knows what the assist levels should feel like to the rider but the other bicycles are all 250Watt models while this bicycle is a 500W model

The bicycle has had this issue since it was new.

I thought that maybe this problem had to do with a magnetic sensor but that doesn´t make sense because when you start to pedal, it takes off right away so the sensor is working. I wonder if the controller is the problem.

We want to be able to get less assist in the lower settings.

I sent an email to the [email protected] but never received an answer. The controllers are the ones with no digital readout, but just simple LEDS showing low, medium, and high, plus the battery charge level.

Thanks for any help here.

This is a problem with many inexpensive controllers.

Sometimes, there will be a pair of single wire coming out of the controller with a connector to the other one. This is often for a power limiter, and if you open the connector (or make the connection if it's open) you get the opposite power setting,

Otherwise, and this depends on where the connector is located (inside battery cradle?), some people do upgrade to a controller known to be better at power control, If you buy a controller, you have to get a matching handlebar unit. The old one rarely can be re-used. Your choice also depends on what connectors are on the bike. If it has a newer style harness with molded connectors, then you need the same. If it's the older rats nest of discrete connectors, ditto. I like the KT controllers and display.

Around a hundred bucks.

This is a problem with many inexpensive controllers.

Sometimes, there will be a pair of single wire coming out of the controller with a connector to the other one. This is often for a power limiter, and if you open the connector (or make the connection if it's open) you get the opposite power setting,

Otherwise, and this depends on where the connector is located (inside battery cradle?), some people do upgrade to a controller known to be better at power control, If you buy a controller, you have to get a matching handlebar unit. The old one rarely can be re-used. Your choice also depends on what connectors are on the bike. If it has a newer style harness with molded connectors, then you need the same. If it's the older rats nest of discrete connectors, ditto. I like the KT controllers and display.

Around a hundred bucks.
Harry, Thanks I will try that.

Back