Tongsheng grinding

RickBradford

Region
Asia
I have a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive motor, which suits me well and on which I have ridden about 2000km.

Recently, though, a horrible grinding noise has emerged when I am riding. I have done some analysis of this and discovered:
  • the problem only occurs when pedaling - there is no noise when using a throttle
  • the noise is present even when the motor is off
  • the noise is worst at the 3pm - 9pm position, i.e. at the point when I am putting maximum pressure on the pedals.
  • the noise seems to get worse the longer the ride goes on, i.e. as the whole system warms up
I wonder if anyone has any insight into where the problem may lie - the problem sounds something like a bearings problem, but I can't clearly identify the problem location.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the problem is not inside the motor itself, but somewhere in the innards of the through bracket.

Any suggestions and advice gratefully received.

I installed a TSDZ2 last Fall. Earlier this year, there was a sound that only occurred under pedaling. It turned out the motor was slipping in the frame. I took the Tongsheng wrench and tapped the big fastener with a hammer til it was tight. Good old application of the BFH,
I also put blue loctite on the assembly, but it set up unexpectedly fast and locked up the nut before I even got around to using the hammer, and made it harder to tighten,.

Back