Tire specs

DuncanC

Region
USA
City
Andover, New Hampshire
Is the TPI count for a bike tire an important factor to consider when choosing tires? In what way does the TPI count affect a tires performance? It certainly correlates with the price of a tire so I assume it is a measure of quality in some way.

Good question. It is not a better or worse type of thing. It is what is the application. Hight threads per inch are for supple low weight race-day tires with a thin casing. Imagine a fine 120 dress shirt cotton painted with a thin coating of rubber. Lower TPI casings have proportionally more rubber and are stronger. 60 TPI is more like t-shirt cotton. Look for tires which are rated for electric bikes, such as E50.

Good question. It is not a better or worse type of thing. It is what is the application. Hight threads per inch are for supple low weight race-day tires with a thin casing. Imagine a fine 120 dress shirt cotton painted with a thin coating of rubber. Lower TPI casings have proportionally more rubber and are stronger. 60 TPI is more like t-shirt cotton. Look for tires which are rated for electric bikes, such as E50.
Thank you for your very clear explanation. I expect it will save me some serious money. I plan to swap out my three aggressive knobbies for smoother and higher pressure 20X4” or slightly fatter road tires for touring on my full suspension recumbent etrike. Of course that requires persuading my wife that the tires are a critical purchase.

Unfortunately Schwalbe does not make a tire compatible with my rims. The best fit is 20x4” with a range of 3-4.5”.

I plan to swap out my three aggressive knobbies for smoother and higher pressure 20X4” or slightly fatter road tires for touring on my full suspension recumbent etrike.
I find knobbies have fewer flats than road tires, as long as the knobs are over 3/32" tall. I change them out at that point. The knobs run over the tire shreds and glass shards on the road without penetration. I don't use slime, liners, armor, or $50 high resistance tires. Yes, they make a noise. I've been using kenda & giant stocked by the LBS for $25-27.
I do find a correlation between blowouts and country of origin. If I receive a tire made in ***** I throw it away and buy something else. Those workers & managers were trained to lie on paperwork by decades of mismanagement. I've also had tires made there fall off the rim because the bead was too big.

Last edited:
Well, let's see the photos of the full suspension recumbent. Cool!

Back