Time to buy?

MJM_PGH

Hello all,

I'm considering buying an e-bike to rekindle my past affinity to biking. It's been quite a long time and I really appreciate this forum in helping guide my choices. I'm planning to ride rail trails and the like, and am leaning toward a hybrid style with front suspension for comfort. Torque sensing sounds like the way to go, but i haven't decided between a hub motor or mid-mounted motor.

I have basically been researching options for an expected purchase as the weather gets favorable. However, in my searching I have seen some pretty attractive sale prices available now. For example, the Raleigh Lore and Redux are being offered in my price range (hopefully <$2500) after pretty significant discounts.

So it makes me wonder, is January the time for sales in the bike universe? Should I consider buying now or can I expect similar sales throughout the year?

Any thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally, I like to buy good used stuff, and let the original owner take the hit on depreciation. As for my ebike, although I had test ridden several, I was not sure I would like it enough to make a purchase worthwhile, so I definitely went used. I hooked up with an outfit named Bicycle Bluebook on eBay, and bought a slightly used 2017 Raliegh Sprite iE for $850. They were a pleasure to deal with, packed the bike up perfectly. When I got it, it appeared brand new. I definitely think I got a good price because of the time of the year.

Hey! Currently between the Raleigh Cadent and the Raleigh Lore atm, thinking I'm going to order the Lore tonight from my local bike shop. About a month ago I was like, "I want to get back into biking" and really started kicking the dirt up. I was turned onto E-bikes at our local shop when I went in to take a look at stuff, and my area is super hilly with rough terrain, so with the Ebike I felt limitless! Totally worth it in my opinion.

I was back and forth between getting a hybrid bike and converting it myself or buying a all in one guy. Our local bike shop told me that if I convert, no shop local to us will work or warranty the bike. That being said, a lot of the hub motors with triggers are illegal in my state and from what I was told not super stable or reliable for trails / commuting etc.

Apparently, I was bitten by the bike bug at the perfect time as I heard January is the perfect time to bike shop. "last years" models are deeply discounted to make room for the new 2019 and not a lot of people are in the shops due to the weather and season. To me, that's perfect timing! Just bundle up when you test ride haha. Also, getting a bike from your local shop you'll have local support, which is important to me because I know nothing about bikes lol.

Honestly, with my extensive research and the help with this community I think I'm leaning towards the Lore. The bosch motor, suspension, and all around "top of the line" parts for this bike are what's selling me the most. I wouldn't pay full price at $3,500 - but $2,499 is something I can manage. I think that's a pretty good discount and I'm hoping with the upgraded quality of the battery and motor brand it'll take me on adventures for many years to come!

What ever you go with enjoy the new steed! :)

EDIT: I've also been told if I wait until february I may have to deal with some not so nice price hikes due to the tariffs... so keep that in mind too

is January the time for sales in the bike universe? Should I consider buying now or can I expect similar sales throughout the year?

Sales occur when older models go out and the new ones come in, generally starting in late fall. Don't count on sales when the weather is good; it is a seller's market then...they don't have to discount. At that point it is only bikes the retailers are having trouble unloading, usually in sizes that are really small or really big.

Hey! Currently between the Raleigh Cadent and the Raleigh Lore atm, thinking I'm going to order the Lore tonight from my local bike shop. About a month ago I was like, "I want to get back into biking" and really started kicking the dirt up. I was turned onto E-bikes at our local shop when I went in to take a look at stuff, and my area is super hilly with rough terrain, so with the Ebike I felt limitless! Totally worth it in my opinion.

I was back and forth between getting a hybrid bike and converting it myself or buying a all in one guy. Our local bike shop told me that if I convert, no shop local to us will work or warranty the bike. That being said, a lot of the hub motors with triggers are illegal in my state and from what I was told not super stable or reliable for trails / commuting etc.

Apparently, I was bitten by the bike bug at the perfect time as I heard January is the perfect time to bike shop. "last years" models are deeply discounted to make room for the new 2019 and not a lot of people are in the shops due to the weather and season. To me, that's perfect timing! Just bundle up when you test ride haha. Also, getting a bike from your local shop you'll have local support, which is important to me because I know nothing about bikes lol.

Honestly, with my extensive research and the help with this community I think I'm leaning towards the Lore. The bosch motor, suspension, and all around "top of the line" parts for this bike are what's selling me the most. I wouldn't pay full price at $3,500 - but $2,499 is something I can manage. I think that's a pretty good discount and I'm hoping with the upgraded quality of the battery and motor brand it'll take me on adventures for many years to come!

What ever you go with enjoy the new steed! :)

EDIT: I've also been told if I wait until february I may have to deal with some not so nice price hikes due to the tariffs... so keep that in mind too

I think going with a conversion is a good idea if you have the time to do all of the research, build, and configuration of the bike. Looking at what others have done, a mid-drive kit like a BBS02 or BBSHD would be more than capable for some off-road applications. Some of the kit mid-drive systems only have a cadence sensor which different that most store bought bikes that take advantage of both cadence and torque. With either a store bought or DIY option, a mid-drive is what you'll want for hills and off-pavement riding.

Also, my vote would be to get the Raleigh Lore. The Bosch motor is much more popular than the TranzX on the Cadent. The Lore also seems more capable with the RockShox fork and big tires. If you eventually want to use the Lore as a commuter, finding a rear rack won't be difficult.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Maybe I should have struck while the iron is hot, as was recommended. The Lore is no longer in stock for the large frame...

I guess I'll just need to keep my eyes open for other options.

Will the medium work for you? I just ordered the medium, it’s on the bigger size for a medium our bike guy said, but I’m also only 5’5”. Sorry friend

Maybe reach out to their chat online they may be able to find you one local :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Maybe I should have struck while the iron is hot, as was recommended. The Lore is no longer in stock for the large frame...

I guess I'll just need to keep my eyes open for other options.
Subscribe to back in stock notification. And get on a wait list with your local dealer. Accell Group (Raleigh's parent company) may get some returns from dealers that don't sell their stock. If you put a small refundable deposit down you might get a bike before spring riding season. Don't beat yourself up, the large was out of stock when I checked a week ago. I wasn't in the market for this bike, just checked out of curiosity due to the low, low price.

I'm new to e-biking and the forum and have been more of a spectator here than experienced at advising. I see "PGH" in your I'd name and I'm assuming you're in the Burg. If so there's not many ebike dealers around to test drive and experience different models and types. But luckily there is a good one here that also is a Raleigh dealer. I suggest you visit Adam Solar in Bridgeville and sort out a drive / frame /gears / seating position etc. that suits your needs.
I'm older and packing some pounds (260), so an upright position Cruiser type fits me best. I didn't learn that till after I bought a 24 speed traditional bike to get back into biking 50ish years later. The forward position was hard on my hands, neck, and shoulders and my trail distances were underwelming.
My point: ..Yes price is important, but fit and function are foremost to get the most out of your investment and enjoying the ride.
Hope to see you out there on the trails! We have many choices and many miles in the western PA area.
Recky

Hello Recky:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am in Pittsburgh and will plan to call Adam's Solar Rides.
I definitely see value in local shops, while the on-line guys like Juiced, Surface 604, M2S, and Luna seem to have some compelling offerings. Having been away from biking for so long, it is probably a good idea to get some professional assistance.

I have basically been researching options for an expected purchase as the weather gets favorable. However, in my searching I have seen some pretty attractive sale prices available now.

Here you go: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Adam Solar Rides can get you this bike or the Raleigh Redux. He may have the Lore IE in stock. Call them.

Will the medium work for you? I just ordered the medium, it’s on the bigger size for a medium our bike guy said, but I’m also only 5’5”. Sorry friend

Maybe reach out to their chat online they may be able to find you one local :)

The medium Lore IE is also what I bought this January for the amazing price of $2500 (and without tax!) direct from Raleigh USA. I’m so glad I didn’t buy it local in August when it sold for $3500+tax. This bike has an awesome stable feel and is easier to hit 28mph than our Bulls Six50 E2 Street that we paid $3500. The Lore also seems more capable for trail rides on the weekends after my 10 mile roundtrip city commute during weekdays.

I too considered converting my old bike (2006 Specialized Stumpjumper M4) with a Bafang BBSHD and adding new disc brakes instead of buying a purpose-built eBike. But the conversion would have cost ~$1900 and it wouldn’t have smooth shift detection, dealer service options, or the reliability of a Bosch motor. So for only ~$600 more the Lore IE comes ready to ride with no tinkering and a manufacture’s warranty. January is definitely a great time to find deals on closeout model bikes.

The medium Lore IE is also what I bought this January for the amazing price of $2500 (and without tax!) direct from Raleigh USA. I’m so glad I didn’t buy it local in August when it sold for $3500+tax. .

Dang! No tax?! Jealous!

The bike should be ready for pick up today and I am SO EXCITED!

Did you put racks on yours? Thinking about putting racks and lights on but I plan on doing a lot of trails once the weather warms up, so not sure if it's the best idea lol

Congrats! No tax was a nice surprise. I hope you love it as much as I love mine! :) No racks yet but this one looks nice and relatively easily removable? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6RORTM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_K.ivCbJXVQWY8

For now I just use rechargeable front and rear lights. One day I'd love to upgrade to integrated front and rear brake lights from $uperNova.

Here is a real-world feedback about the Thule Pack N pedal rack.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rear-rack-on-fullnine.26527/#post-178918

My very first eBike back in 2014 was also a full suspension one and I tried this and I echo his feedback.

@Aisakura7
Here are some good options for your Lore iE bike.

Racktime: https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/ (Scroll below for racks and other accessories; racktime makes great products.) You could get your pannier and rack from them and they would work seamlessly.

Ortleib: They have some neat products too: https://ortliebusa.com/product-category/tubus/rear-racks/

AXIOM : lots of options, cheaper than the above 2 and really good product.
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/

@Ravi Kempaiah - thank you steering us away from that Thule rack. I didn't check reviews until you sent that link, so it's nice to see this forum is a great source for additional real-world feedback. When/if it comes time for me to get a rack, I'll be sure to checkout the options you listed. Many thanks. Quito

@MJM_PGH Do your homework and don't rush, but don't take too long either. You're going to love being back on a bike, especially on an ebike. That's how it is for me, after many years not riding.

Back