Thoughts on a Used 2014 iZip E3 Dash?

Hey All,

I am in the market for my first ebike, but have not pulled the trigger yet as I'm a little strapped for cash. In my ideal world, I would replace our family's second vehicle with an ebike, but I am nervous to put down big money on a nicer model before trying one out and making sure it's a fit for our lifestyle.

With that being said, I've been looking used, and was curious if anyone has an opinion on this 2014 iZip E3 Dash? Does it seem like a good deal at $1k?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I asked the seller if he would be willing to sell me just the bike and drop the price, as I would be interested in just purchasing some 3rd party batteries so I know they work, but he said then he would be stuck with some ebike batteries that he couldn't sell, so he'd prefer to sell them all together.

Generally, I have been looking for a Class 3 commuter set up to take me on a very flat 20 mile on way commute in the Dallas, TX area. I am hoping for an average speed of 20MPH on commute, supplemented by lots of pedaling from me. Would love your feedback on if this would suit my needs, given my desire for budget options.

(if you're looking for more info on my needs, here is my original thread asking for advice: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...r-speed-commuter-with-some-cargo-needs.25205/)

I enjoyed my Dash. Put 2000 miles each on 2 of them before I upped to a Trek XM700. I would not hesitate to buy a Dash despite having battery issues. Multiple batteries begins to address that. IZip batteries run around $600 and chargers are $75 or so. On a good battery I went 35-40 miles in low setting regularly

No mention of miles, maintenance like replacing chains, cassette, brakes, etc.... Cheap pedals, cheap spring fork. "Some batteries work better than others", probably means one of them is good. That could mean either a lot of miles or poor charging protocol. Two chargers probably meant one was at work. So two charging cycles per day will run through the battery pretty quickly. With the limited info, I wouldn't pay more than $500. You might have to put $200-$300 in it if the drivetrain is worn.

That ebike has an odometer, so it's easy to tell the mileage. For less than 1 grand and with all three batteries and 2 chargers, I would say it's a fair offer. The batteries are small enough to fit in rear pannier bags.

There were issues of some early batches of Dash models with motor magnets falling off but that only happens in the first couples hundred miles. If it has more mileage and have been riden on bumpy roads, then it's likely outside the group with the defect.

It's considered one of the hot rods among OEM ebikes.

I don't think it is worth $1,000.00 when you can buy brand new in the $1,500.00 range. Technology and batteries have changed quite a bit in the past 5 years. I still wouldn't buy it at a reduced price. So I'm going to be the guy that say "buyer beware".

Spend a little bit more and start out with a new ride. 5 years in ebike years is a lot!

The IZip Dash was a cheap bike to begin with. I test rode one and it was not impressive even when it was new. There were wheel truing and brake issues. Given the low initial price and the age of the bike, I don't think it's worth a grand. Agree with @CodyDog - there are now better options new in the $1500 range. Juiced Riders? I have heard they sell reconditioned bikes too. Might be worth looking on their website.

On the subject of used bikes from new bike sources, some e-bike dealers sell used bikes. Might be worth enquiring at local shops. Odds are, the bikes have at least been gone through by a mechanic. The shop would not want to risk selling you a new bike down the line by selling you a crappy used one today.

@CodyDog - I think you're right. I keep getting excited about a potential deal, but in the long run, I think I am better off paying for quality the first time around.

@rannyv - thanks for the input. I have been really impressed by the Juiced CCS on paper and how much people on the forum like them. I wish I could test drive one locally!

I just scheduled some time for a test drive a local ebike shop in a couple of weeks. I hope that will help me decide. Thanks!

If you were looking at that used bike here in Dallas, it might be worth your time to visit the Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson TX. They have a lot of ebikes, they let you test drive and they have good support and clout with manufacturers. I find it helpful to have a shop which can get the bike makers attention versus trying to email some customer support on my own. Just a thought. BTW, as I said, I enjoyed my Dash and has no problems other than battery which like all bike batteries are made in China as far as I can tell.

If you were looking at that used bike here in Dallas, it might be worth your time to visit the Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson TX. They have a lot of ebikes, they let you test drive and they have good support and clout with manufacturers. I find it helpful to have a shop which can get the bike makers attention versus trying to email some customer support on my own. Just a thought. BTW, as I said, I enjoyed my Dash and has no problems other than battery which like all bike batteries are made in China as far as I can tell.
@topcatken - thanks for the tip. I actually did a brief ride at Richardson Bike Mart, but the sales associate didn't seem super into ebikes, he only wanted to let me ride a class 2 even though I'm looking for a class 3. Might've just gotten the wrong guy. Will try them again if this next place doesn't work out.

That sucks. Luck of the draw. I love near there. Be happy to go with and help. Been riding electric for 5 years and I know the guys at the shop

That sucks. Luck of the draw. I love near there. Be happy to go with and help. Been riding electric for 5 years and I know the guys at the shop
Thanks so much for the offer! Will let you know. I've got a test ride booked at Small Planet Ebikes for next weekend in the meantime.

Back