Thoughts about demo bikes?

Logan Gogarty

I have a local shop that has a Specialized Turbo X. I didn't ask the year but they are selling it for 2,600 which seems like a steal. They also said it is still under warranty. Any thoughts about demo bikes in general?

Demo bikes are a great way to get an expensive ebike for a reasonable cost.

When I read one of your posts about the type of ebike to get for your commute, I actually thought about the Turbo X. I really like the Specialized bikes. There are changes for the 2016 Turbo X but you will have to pay a lot more. I would grab it.

E bikes in Denver must not be too popular yet all the shops I called have a turbo x 2015 for 2600. They come with the full factory warranty. What size should I get if I'm 6 feet tall ?

I rode a medium turbo today and I wasn't as impressed as I anticipated I would be. It was kind of clunky and making quite a bit of noise when I hit bumps. Anyone else have that problem?

I rode a medium turbo today and I wasn't as impressed as I anticipated I would be. It was kind of clunky and making quite a bit of noise when I hit bumps. Anyone else have that problem?
That was not my expirience...I loved the bike and thought the quality was top shelf. To each his own...

I think it may have been just because it was a demo bike. If I had time I would have tinkered around to see what was clunking.

In general height is not a fool proof way to measure the correct frame geometry for you. Any competent bike shop will measure you inseam, have you stand over various size frames , and then make a recommendation.

I have a local shop that has a Specialized Turbo X. I didn't ask the year but they are selling it for 2,600 which seems like a steal. They also said it is still under warranty. Any thoughts about demo bikes in general?

I bought my showroom Turbo S (MY13) for less than 3k€ and it came equipped with the mudguards and the rack which are worth a couple of hundred. I have had the seat, rear wheel + motor changed under warranty (there wasn't actually anything wrong with the motor in the end). I thought it was a good deal to get a 6k€ bike with negligible miles. I have checked the battery charge cycles with the diagnosis software and they were under 30 when I purchased the bike.

Thats a great deal. I'm going to ride the turbo x today during my lunch break. I think I will get it if they really have the price at 2,600 and the bike is in good condition. I will have the shop check the hours and tell me what it is at. I would love to get the mudguards and rack as well since the only place I can find it is on the specialized website and its $300 for just the back fender and rack. Anyone know of other ways to outfit the turbo less expensively?

In general height is not a fool proof way to measure the correct frame geometry for you. Any competent bike shop will measure you inseam, have you stand over various size frames , and then make a recommendation.

The 'book' system seems to work. You aren't supposed to use your inseam from jeans or whatever. Online retailers seem to give sizes in cm, so 2.54 x inches.

Great information thanks everyone! I just went to Bike Source on my lunch break and I put a deposit down on a 2015 Specialized Turbo X. I'm really excited to go ride it after work. It is the demo bike but it looks like its never been touched. Like I said I think Denver is slow to get into E bikes. They have the price at 2,600 which I think is a steal. I now need to decide what bike tray/rack to get for the rear and if I want to add fenders.

Logan just make sure you get the warranty in writing. If they offer an extended warranty, buy it!

I bought my Stromer demo for 60% off list with a warranty.. Loved the deal liked the bike!

Ok I have 600$ down will pay the remaining 2k next week. Before I pull the trigger the rest of the way I want to know if I can adjust my speed limit to 28mph? I test rode it and I felt the motor shut off at 26 mph. My other question is where can I buy the city kit? the specialized website only has the rear fender/light/rack set up. The front fender does not look included. Have any other turbo owners bought the city kit or a different brand rear rack?

Logan just make sure you get the warranty in writing. If they offer an extended warranty, buy it!

I bought my Stromer demo for 60% off list with a warranty.. Loved the deal liked the bike!

I wouldn't mind the Stromer either just haven't seen that good of a deal.

Once you get the bike you need to find the computer codes that allow you to change the bicycle tire size... Just tell the computer you have smaller tires (like 26" if you have 700c, for example). So the governor will allow the wheel to spin faster.

Im sure there is someone like Ravi here on EBR who knows something about these codes.

The city kit includes front fender and rear fender/rack with tail light combo. Only one one rear light is used so the seat light is disconnected to connect the rack light. I used a Tubus rack and plastic fenders while I was waiting for the city kit I'd ordered with the bike to arrive. I wanted to change saddles so I thought the kit would be easier. It turned out I could have removed the light from the saddle and attached it to the standard Tubus rack light attachment.

Now that I look at the current listing, I am not sure if the kit still includes the front fender.

Last edited:
I have the rear, front guard and the rack. I think they are high quality items, but the front guard is too short to protect the feet from getting wet. I would like to add a mudflap but havent found s suitable one yet. The rack is for 25 kg only. Although I have carried adults on a rack that was meant for 20 kg and there was no problem.

Back