Thinking of getting e-bikes for use when RVing

Muttoni

My wife and I are planning on getting an RV in the spring. We would like to get e-bikes to get around and explore the new places we visit. We are both in our 60's and would only consider e-bikes. Neither of us has ever ridden an e-bike before so we are planning on renting from a local company for a few hours to see how we like them. We have been looking at the E-Lux Tahoe bikes. I think they would provide us the broadest range of conditions to explore, from beaches to riding around an RV park. We also plan on exploring the bike paths around the Tulsa area. Is there anything else to consider before taking the plunge?

The elux are heavy, how are you going to carry the bikes?
I was planning on using the back of my truck at first, but I have been looking at bike carriers for fat tire bikes and I can use the hitch receiver. Then also add a receiver to the back of the trailer so I can use it there as well.

Last edited:
I know the E-Lux are heavier than the other bikes due in part to the 4" tires. But since we have no idea what conditions we will encounter when traveling, they may be the best pick. Plus neither of us are lightweights either so I want something that is more stable on soft ground. We are really looking at the e-bikes as a way to extend the places we can see. No serious off roading, but something that can go on sand or gravel and something comfortable to ride around on. We like the upright cruiser styling the best.

Totally understand on the fat tires, I’m a big fat tire fan
And they are definitely better for varied terrain, gravel roads, sand etc.

I looked at the E Lux bikes a while back, their step through fat tire but it was a lot heavier than some of the other bikes so just wanted to point that out

think the back of the truck using a ramp may be easier all around, you have to buy the heaviest available ebike/fat bike racks for these

One other thing is unless you have a custom two inch receiver put on the back of your trailer that is welded into the frame really good you have to worry about the weight back there also, this is going to be true of any ebikes that you get

Especially if you go with one of the ultralight trailers, actually I hear a lot on the RV forums about issues with bike carriers in general on the back of the trailers so just do your research on that if you haven’t already

Check out the 2 inch hitch rack from Hollywood Racks. They make them with fat tire wheel mounts and can handle the heavier weight. I have one and its rock solid.

That is what I understand. I guess it will help the US e-bike manufacturers. I am not sure if we have any here though.

From what I understand, there aren't any US e-bike manufacturers that source their bike parts from US sources to any extensive degree ... everything is made somewhere else, mostly China, some Taiwan... a few other places?

Pedego has local dealers, so if you ahve difficulties in your travels you can find a local shop to help you. They also make a folder called the Latch that could travel inside your RV.

@Muttoni , have you considered folding ebikes as they take less space to store and will be more secure in the RV?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue with the folding bikes is that they seem less comfortable than the non-folding cruisers. We really want the cushioned seat and the swept back bars so we can ride upright. My feeling is that we will be on roads or hard surfaces 99% of the time, but we would like to have the ability to go in areas that may be more difficult for thinner tired bikes. We are also considering boondocking at least part of the time so the roads may not be as good in some locations. Our grandson just went to work at Zion National Park and we are planning on going there in March. There are a lot of bike trails around that area we would like to explore.

I have a Rad Mini it has an upright riding position. I can fold it and load it in the back of my pickup with the travel trailer attached. Inside the canopy the bike is locked up and safe from the weather. I have 600 miles on mine, 300 off pavement. The only changes are new pedals and an inexpensive suspension seatpost. No problems yet.

It makes sense that you would like non-folders. We don't RV, but went for cruisers for the upright riding position and comfort for recreational riding and commuting. My husband and I use our bikes pretty heavily (1500 miles in 4 months, most of that clustered in a 2 month period), so riding comfort was a big factor.

My bike has bigger tires, and works fine on firm/crushed gravel surfaces. My 75" long cruiser is great for city, suburban, and well-kept bike trail riding. The fatter (but not "fat") tires are great for safety around pavement grooves and such which are treacherous for the skinny tires that road bikes use. Weight really isn't an issue for city and suburban riding. Occasionally I need to lift the rear of the bike to pivot at a crosswalk or something.

I don't like how my bike handles in deeper or larger gravel, though, or on walking trails that are rooty or have tight turns or are not really designed for cycling. For more variable trail conditions, curves, bumps, roots, softer surfaces, etc., I think a more nimble bike would be better. It isn't just tire width that's important for bumpier/curvier/softer trails, but also length, and for less bike-friendly trails, the upright cruiser positioning and swept-back handlebars that make it so great for established roads and bike paths make for lousy handling over roots, bumps, quickly-changing surface conditions and around curves. We have wooded parks near us with walking trails that bikes are permitted on, but I had to walk my bike in some areas--just couldn't maneuver safely.

Happy shopping!

I don't really think we will be getting on tight or really difficult trails, but we may get on sand. And I figure that I only have to deal with getting the bikes on or off the racks for a few minutes, but will ride for hours. And there are not many fat tire bikes with the cruiser handle bars. Most are the mountain bike configuration.

It is not easy to check out many e-bikes since we live in Oklahoma. Only one e-bike dealer in the area that we know of.

You may not be on sand for long--can walk the bikes if need be.

Have fun trying the bikes that you are able to try. I love my cruiser (Pedego). You may find that some conventional bike stores also sell ebikes, too.

Back