Thicc Bikes

Fat bike poll - how fat do you want to go?

• Total voters
I am fine with using fat bikes and I may buy a 2.6 tire in the next couple of months but definitely my next bike will be 4 inches or up, I have plenty of sand to deal with here and cannot stand bogging down, does not bother me at all about the noise

I like that people hear me coming up behind them

but you guys are probably riding pavement a lot more than I am, at least once a month I consider having Pushkar ship me the same frame but wide enough to take 4 inch tires, it’s really the only thing I would change on my bike

I never mastered sand in my dirt bike and big 'adventure bike' days. Many of the guys I rode with laughed at sand. They didn't blast through it but had the skill to power through it. Judicious use of available power is the key to accomplished two wheel machine driving in loose structure. Having all that stuff hanging off your bike makes sand doubly difficult. You have the power with your motor. That said, you should get off and walk through deep sand. I would. ;) I got smarter if not more skilled in my old age.

I'm running Snowshoe 2xl's, 5.05", you can hear me a block away, can't wait for some snow :) Top speed is 31.9mph so far!
Not bad for a 64 yo fart hahahaha

20200730_124242.jpg

I have had 4-5 four inch tire bikes and going slow but consistently using throttle or a higher PAS level I can get through some pretty deep sand but not with this 2.8 tire
and any sand I have tried to do with it I have been unloaded...

really only went with 2.8 tires because I was trying to keep the weight down but the bike is heavy regardless and wish I had gone with four-inch on it

even with 4 inch tires occasionally I would get off and walk but they did much better than this bike and those were mostly 500-750 hub drives

If you’re not going to be in deep sand I wouldn’t get a 4 inch either but I live in the desert and there’s a lot of it

I also like riding them on the beach when I go over to California

Dang! Hope that's a steel frame. You did that top end with your legs?! Oh to be young again. 😥 I wouldn't want to peddle that DOWN hill. I see you have your Brooks well broken in. 😊
It's 6061 aluminium, yes I love the Brooks, just ordered another one for my new Allant +8S that I just got. More to follow on it! :) To be honest, there was a slight .8 % decline but it did burn just the right amount.

What is the ride quality on that bike with solid forks?
Well, I ride with 9# to 10# psi and it feels like the tires are actually grabbing the ground as I roll along. It gives confidence to me where I'm riding knowing that the bike is planted. The low air pressure, the Jones bar, a Thudbuster and I do have a carbon fiber fork (Haru Pro) give it a comfortable ride overall and now I don't even notice the noise caused by the knobbies. I am going to love riding it in snow, can't wait...

Well, I ride with 9# to 10# psi and it feels like the tires are actually grabbing the ground as I roll along. It gives confidence to me where I'm riding knowing that the bike is planted. The low air pressure, the Jones bar, a Thudbuster and I do have a carbon fiber fork (Haru Pro) give it a comfortable ride overall and now I don't even notice the noise caused by the knobbies. I am going to love riding it in snow, can't wait...
I have seen a few fat bikes that have solid carbon fiber forks, that system must work in absorbing road shock

Back