The new turbo Vado 2017

I would agree with that. However I did a review of the Moustache Friday 27 Speed which is Bosch-powered, and it was amazing too, and better up hills than the Turbo S. Handled brilliantly which is where I think the Vado will eclipse the Turbo S. Being Bosch likely means that batteries etc are commodity items. Not quite as fast as a Turbo S with the restraints off though if it matters, but a whole lot more comfortable. Depends what you want...
https://electricbikesnz.com/2017/04/23/moustache-friday-27-speed-at-the-top-of-the-class/
The Vado are going to be “Brose” not Bosch though right? Ive ridden quite a few Mid drives and I like the Torquey giddy feeling the rear hubs provide. Though I can appreciate the mid drives ease of maintenance and quick release front and rear wheels. Simple solution is to get them both.

Hey all, I have nothing in writing yet and only the briefest of conversations. I am assuming that the 691 Wh batteries are just on backorder now. Put one on order and see when you can get it. The 504 Wh batteries are available and are discounted to under $700.

Thanks for that....but looks like to be the same issue as where we started I guess?!?! Back order versus availability and no clear path to a solution of when or if they'll continue to make these batteries or not. Like from my post from before....50 coming....60 people want...and the ship date is in August sometime?!?!
So let's say...we want to order one...do we have to wait another 6 months to a year??? To make more of an example is 5 months till this shipment....so the next...another year on top of that. So a year and a half...two years till we would know anything???

I went onto specialized website and saw all of their international phone numbers and locations. The one that stood out was their Taiwan location. You think calling them directly, being this is where the batteries are being manufactured?

Once again...just disappointed with vague emails...and the don't call us we'll call you attitude that Specialized seems to be coming across as.

Drew (and others),

I don't know the status of the Turbo SC battery availability or your source of data. If you would like to communicate with the Product Manager for the Turbo line, her name is Olivia Bleitz and her email is: [email protected]. She is out of Specialized's HQ at Morgan Hill, California.

Doug

Drew (and others),

I don't know the status of the Turbo SC battery availability or your source of data. If you would like to communicate with the Product Manager for the Turbo line, her name is Olivia Bleitz and her email is: [email protected]. She is out of Specialized's HQ at Morgan Hill, California.

Doug

Thanks and spoke to Olivia...which I'm surprised she answered the phone on a Saturday. I told her the backorder issue here in the states....and that she said the European market is stronger with sales of electric bikes...and I told her that they're out of stock on these batteries as well...which overall I'm not that confident to purchase this $6k bike...being she couldn't confirm when these batteries would be back in stock. So the first thing she said like all other sales people is...what don't I like about the Vado...and I told her it looks like every other bike out there. As well as telling her that they have 2017 models that they are not backing is very odd. She came back and said we have too keep up with the times (in so many words if not exactly what she said)...so basically...your screwed if you bought a turbo, because specialized wants too be the newest, bestest bike out there....ridiculous!!!!

Last edited:
Well I don't feel like I'll be "screwed" even if I can't get factory replacement parts. The batteries inside these battery assemblies are off the shelf catalog parts. Open the case and put the latest technology inside in five years when yours is worn out.

Well I don't feel like I'll be "screwed" even if I can't get factory replacement parts. The batteries inside these battery assemblies are off the shelf catalog parts. Open the case and put the latest technology inside in five years when yours is worn out.

You take things too literally...I swear!!!! Take a look back a few logs and see how much I've been invested in this.

You take things too literally...I swear!!!! Take a look back a few logs and see how much I've been invested in this.

Here's a follow up for you all from Olivia.

And for some of you that are new too this forum topic...there's no replacing or repairing this battery by "cracking" it open...for the ones that didn't know.
It's a dedicated system...no third parties will touch it!!! Onto Olivia's email and my response....
Hi Drew,

It was good speaking with you Saturday. As I said over the phone, we will be supporting all parts through our warranty program through calendar year 2021.

Thanks,

Olivia

Hi again Olivia,

I wish that was enough for me to make the purchase of a Turbo S, but too fall into warranty issues and costs for the consumer to repair said items including batteries...is pretty sketchy. If things like the SC battery being out of stock EVERYWHERE....there's obviously a demand for it. So too resort to any warranty issues, doesn't speak highly of Specialized as a whole. Thanks for your input though....just very disappointed is all and condolences to the ones that have purchased this bike.

If I was going too buy a $6-$7k bike...there better be parts available for at least a couple years...without a doubt!!!!

Where I work we have a fleet of hundreds of Turbos, and I spoke with one of the mechanics today who said they expect to be about to source spares for five years, which is more or less congruent with the 2021 statement.

As for DIY repairs I'm not afraid of them. There's no battery in the world I would be afraid to refurbish. The batteries in these bikes are basically half a dozen laptop batteries in a tube. Nothing fancy.

Where I work we have a fleet of hundreds of Turbos, and I spoke with one of the mechanics today who said they expect to be about to source spares for five years, which is more or less congruent with the 2021 statement.

As for DIY repairs I'm not afraid of them. There's no battery in the world I would be afraid to refurbish. The batteries in these bikes are basically half a dozen laptop batteries in a tube. Nothing fancy.
Agreed, replacing the controller might prove to be more problematic, batteries however are not some special voodoo.

Here's a follow up for you all from Olivia.

And for some of you that are new too this forum topic...there's no replacing or repairing this battery by "cracking" it open...for the ones that didn't know.
It's a dedicated system...no third parties will touch it!!! Onto Olivia's email and my response....
Hi Drew,

It was good speaking with you Saturday. As I said over the phone, we will be supporting all parts through our warranty program through calendar year 2021.

Thanks,

Olivia

Hi again Olivia,

I wish that was enough for me to make the purchase of a Turbo S, but too fall into warranty issues and costs for the consumer to repair said items including batteries...is pretty sketchy. If things like the SC battery being out of stock EVERYWHERE....there's obviously a demand for it. So too resort to any warranty issues, doesn't speak highly of Specialized as a whole. Thanks for your input though....just very disappointed is all and condolences to the ones that have purchased this bike.

If I was going too buy a $6-$7k bike...there better be parts available for at least a couple years...without a doubt!!!!

Not true, Ive spoken with RPE and they suggested to send it in with a charger to have them take a look. You are starting to sound a bit like a chicken little all doom and gloom sir.

Ok...I'm just about done with this. If your not gonna look back at what Doug and I have come up with in this forum...then believe what you want.

To debunk what you think as these as just laptop batteries...you will be very surprised that there not. Specialized is the license holder on these batteries. They stop supporting them...there will be no firmware to program them. The battery is the brain of the bike. I'm glad I'm the only one paying attention here....because I just save $6k.
These are not like other electric bikes. The brains are in the controllers of other bikes. Like I said before...I was going too buy this bike....and glad I didn't. For some of you...I'm sorry...but batteries on backorder should scare the crap outta you.

I'm done...good luck guys!!!!

Not true, Ive spoken with RPE and they suggested to send it in with a charger to have them take a look. You are starting to sound a bit like a chicken little all doom and gloom sir.

I'm the one that spoke too them as well!!!! I told you about them....NO GUARANTEE!!!! Holy crap!!!!!

I too hope you're done with this soon and move on. Sounds like a bit of analysis paralysis to me. I have no regrets purchasing the Turbo X for an amazing price and I've been enjoying the Turbo for a few weeks now and I expect to enjoy it as long as I have it. When the Vado becomes available (and the hundreds of bikes from other manufacturers) I may come to the conclusion that it's time to move onto a different bike. I'm not going to waste time and energy speculating what Specialized will do based on battery back order. I'm going to go outside and enjoy my bike!!

I'm the one that spoke too them as well!!!! I told you about them....NO GUARANTEE!!!! Holy crap!!!!!
You didn’t tell me about them, I knew about them well before you started posting that the sky is falling. I probably have phone and email records post dating that.

I Picked up my Turbos (S & base) and have been riding them for the past 4 weeks instead of posting about doom and gloom, life's too short, go out and enjoy it while you can instead of posting on the internet. Im sure you will be unhappy with the problems associated with all the other bike makers out there for one reason or another.

You didn’t tell me about them, I knew about them well before you started posting that the sky is falling. I probably have phone and email records post dating that.

I Picked up my Turbos (S & base) and have been riding them for the past 4 weeks instead of posting about doom and gloom, life's too short, go out and enjoy it while you can instead of posting on the internet. Im sure you will be unhappy with the problems associated with all the other bike makers out there for one reason or another.

I spoke too the tech...told you what days he was working....no word from any of you until I did. This isn't a pissing contest...you guys bought the bike I didn't...end of story!!!

Ok...I'm just about done with this. If your not gonna look back at what Doug and I have come up with in this forum...then believe what you want.

To debunk what you think as these as just laptop batteries...you will be very surprised that there not. Specialized is the license holder on these batteries. They stop supporting them...there will be no firmware to program them. The battery is the brain of the bike. I'm glad I'm the only one paying attention here....because I just save $6k.
These are not like other electric bikes. The brains are in the controllers of other bikes. Like I said before...I was going too buy this bike....and glad I didn't. For some of you...I'm sorry...but batteries on backorder should scare the crap outta you.

All bike batteries use one form of lithium chemistry or another... Its not rocket science. IF in the event the battery dies and or the motor dies, its less than 1000 bucks to get a Bafang mid/rear unit + Panasonic/samsung cells repacked into the battery. If I cannot reuse the controller ill buy a new speed and torque sensor for maybe 300 bucks. 1300 bucks later and I still have the same bike chassis just with a lot more power... The bikes not going to be a paper weight...

I feel bad for people who don't know how to repair things.

Back