The New Old Guy

BobMielke

Hello all, my name is Bob and I'm just about to get back into bikes for the first time in nearly 60 years. I placed my order this morning for a new Lectric XP (white) model and pray it will arrive in time for the beautiful Autumns we enjoy here in New England. Before deciding to get back into cycling I road touring motorcycles for 40 years. The big bikes are gone after nearly 250,000 highway miles enjoyed. Now I'm looking for a slower pace with some much needed exercise mixed in.

I made my decision on a bike after months of research on scooters/bikes. The cost is one of the final determining factors combined with my need to keep my choice as a class 2 vehicle. I feel I can meet my requirements with the 20 mph stock specs of the XP/ I have no need for speed, been there, done that. Now I just want to hit the open roads in my sleepy little town of Uxbridge, MA

Lectric XP White.jpg

Welcome to EBR Bob, nice to have you. Plenty of help here from good people. Hopefully you get your bike in time for the foliage. Now You will get to ride where motorcycle are not allowed and truly enjoy nature at its best. Good luck.

Hi Bob, I'm in a similar situation. When I was a kid a bike was under me more hours than then the ground under my feet! A few years ago I purchased a new "human" powered Trek, it's a beautiful bike and I enjoy riding it except for the hills in my neighborhood, they put a real damper in the enjoyment side. I recently rented an eBike while on vacation and what a blast, I am now hooked. My wife and I recently ordered bikes from Sondors and like you we are hoping to have them by the fall, it seems a little iffy at best but we can hope! Good luck getting yours and enjoy!

You will get hooked just I like I did. As others have said on this forum, the XP is the gateway drug to get you. Then you will order another one just like I did. Cant wait for my new bike to arrive!!

Hi Bob, I'm in a similar situation. When I was a kid a bike was under me more hours than then the ground under my feet! A few years ago I purchased a new "human" powered Trek, it's a beautiful bike and I enjoy riding it except for the hills in my neighborhood, they put a real damper in the enjoyment side. I recently rented an eBike while on vacation and what a blast, I am now hooked. My wife and I recently ordered bikes from Sondors and like you we are hoping to have them by the fall, it seems a little iffy at best but we can hope! Good luck getting yours and enjoy!
I don't know how to initiate a new post so I'm adding on a reply to your greeting. Just received notice that FedEx bumped up the delivery of my Lectric XL to Tuesday, tomorrow. I hope they think to add my new Thousand helmet to the delivery as it's shown to be at the same FedEx warehouse in Middleton, CT. - Bob Mielke

Haha Bob, I was in Cromwell all day today, I could have picked it up for you on my way home! Send pics when you get it!

Haha Bob, I was in Cromwell all day today, I could have picked it up for you on my way home! Send pics when you get it!
I've got it but ran into issues. Couldn't fill the tires with my new Joeblow floor pump. May need to take it to a tire shop and see if they can inflate both to 28 psi. I also had an indoor fall trying to adjust my seat height. I wound up bending my side stand. :( Not good on a brand new bike without a single mile on it. I also received my new Thousand helmet that is beautiful and fits perfectly. I have a fat head and now two skinned knees to boot. I'm getting old and I really really hate falling. I'll keep trying and maybe get to ride this bike if I get the tires filled up.

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 1.58.04 PM.png

Last edited:
I've got it but ran into issues. Couldn't fill the tires with my new Joeblow floor pump. May need to take it to a tire shop and see if they can inflate both to 28 psi. I also had an indoor fall trying to adjust my seat height. I wound up bending my side stand. :( Not good on a brand new bike without a single mile on it. I also received my new Thousand helmet that is beautiful and fits perfectly. I have a fat head and now two skinned knees to boot. I'm getting old and I really really hate falling. I'll keep trying and maybe get to ride this bike if I get the tires filled up.

View attachment 63504

Do your ebike tires have schrader or presta valve stems. The valves shown in the photo of your post appear to be schrader.
Does you Joeblow floor pump accommodate both types of valves ? If so are you matching the correct pump fitting to your tire?

Do your ebike tires have schrader or presta valve stems. The valves shown in the photo of your post appear to be schrader.
Does you Joeblow floor pump accommodate both types of valves ? If so are you matching the correct pump fitting to your tire?
My bike has Schrader valves. The pump has both type of valve stems and I did have the correct one attached.

Great, I'm glad to hear that everything was proper expect for the difficulty of filling up your tires.
I'm speculating here when I deduce that with no or little air in the tires the floor pump has difficulty seating properly. I reasoned correctly that using a commercial air supply like that used at my car mechanic's shop would quickly get enough air into the inner tube to make it easier to fill it to the rated pressure. Both tires were filled perfectly in under a minute.

Sometimes you just have to remove the pump head from the valve in the tube and re-seat it. . .even a couple of times. Shrader valves are generally less problematic than presta - but your new floor pump should be capable of getting your tires up to pressure pretty easily - as long as the pump head is properly seated. If you are having trouble getting air onto the tube - just remove and replace it and try again. Eventually you will get the feel for it. . .and of course - having an air compressor on hand is always a good back up plan. . . Hope you can get out and ride soon !

Back