The Front fork recommendations for air pressure

Max Black

Region
USA
You will need a special pump to add air to your fork, so that you do it a little bit at a time and have the correct pressure. Please check the below recommendations for air pressure within the forks to suit riders weight. Running too much air is common and no fun.
Note: Don't do this without a shock pump!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Front fork recommendations for air pressure.png
    Front fork recommendations for air pressure.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,928
Good advice. A shock pump is indeed a necessary tool for air shock suspension.

Different manufacturers have their own recommended pressure settings however. For example, here is the Rockshox table:

6pCAGYM.png

For maximum comfort, I generally use less pressure than recommended for my weight. I put a small zip tie on one of the shocks to see how much compression occurs during a ride and adjust the pressure accordingly.

Zip tie is good advise. My generic air/spring forks have an o-ring. I do have mine set up now as "acceptable". They don't top out or bottom and they provide a less jarring ride. These sub $200 front suspensions are a few steps above the rst forks on a Wallmart MTB, and that's okay for my application.

Good advice. A shock pump is indeed a necessary tool for air shock suspension.

Different manufacturers have their own recommended pressure settings however. For example, here is the Rockshox table:

View attachment 67811

For maximum comfort, I generally use less pressure than recommended for my weight. I put a small zip tie on one of the shocks to see how much compression occurs during a ride and adjust the pressure accordingly.
Your words was extremely informative🤩

When I got my bike, the fork was around 60psi and it would bottom out all the time. Now that I have it set to 190 psi, it's much better now and will not bottom out on steeper drops.

Works perfect after replacing the fake 'air' rear HLT-100 shock, as my sag and rebound are now tuned in for my weight on the bike.

I think it is a Aluminum alloy Rebound Adjust MTB Suspension Air Fork. I will take the time to confirm the details.
Hello Max. Can you give us any idea of how much air we should be putting into our front forks by our rider weight?
Thank you,
Keith

Hello Max. Can you give us any idea of how much air we should be putting into our front forks by our rider weight?
Thank you,
Keith

I'm 240-245 lbs. ( depends on how much chinese food i ate for the day ). I have it set to 150psi using a shock pump and the lock out adjustment is in the middle

I'm 240-245 lbs. ( depends on how much chinese food i ate for the day ). I have it set to 150psi using a shock pump and the lock out adjustment is in the middle
Ok, sounds good. But is there any chart or manual out there for our fork? I've replaced the rear shock with the Kindshock and run it at 80% rider weight on top chamber with 20psi less on bottom chamber. (Great upgrade by the way) So are there any 'rule of thumbs' for our front shock like that?

Ok, sounds good. But is there any chart or manual out there for our fork? I've replaced the rear shock with the Kindshock and run it at 80% rider weight on top chamber with 20psi less on bottom chamber. (Great upgrade by the way) So are there any 'rule of thumbs' for our front shock like that?
for the FS pressures, i've always followed the "half the rider weight" then start adding the PSI for your own comfort.

I'd just like to add that despite all the charts and their suggestions, if your shock never bottoms out, you are not using all of the available shock travel. If you are not using ALL of the shocks available travel regularly (maybe at least once every 15-20 miles traveled?), you're leaving available shock performance on the table - wasted!

Too, sharing YOUR setting with anyone, or watching to see what others are doing is rarely a shortcut. There's too many rider weights, riding preferences, and popular riding conditions that WILL change the shock pressure requirements big time!

Point being, don't be shy about seeking out and using what works for YOU. Clearly, if it's constantly bottoming you don't have enough pressure. Just as clearly though, is the condition where it never bottoms. That's leaving available performance on the table, unused....

Back