The electric scooter (eScooter) thread

WattsUpDude

Region
USA
City
San Francisco, Bay Area
In addition to bikes and eBikes, some of us use stand up scooters as a convenient way to get around town, commute and some recreation. Hopefully this thread can be a place where other riders can share their experiences and questions can be answered for those who are curious about them.

I’ve had a few over the years. My first one was a small 250w Xiaomi M365 then I thought I’d try my entire 13-mile (each way) commute on a longer range NineBot Max. That turned out to be a bad idea since my body didn’t get a chance to warm up during the entire hour on the road. Then I went to another small “last mile” TurboAnt X7 Pro for the days that I’d drive my car in to the city. I now live somewhere it’s a little warmer most mornings. So I thought I’d try the long commute with another scooter capable of that.

A few weeks ago, I got a Kaabo Mantis 8. It has dual suspension and dual motors so it’s a good hill climber and will top out at 25MPH. It’s by no means a monster like @BarnBoy rides 😬. But it’s a good, capable commuter. So far, I’ve added a bike basket so I can carry groceries and my pannier for lunch and other miscellaneous things I need to bring with me to work. I’ve put about 200 miles on it already. My current commute is 8.5 miles to the ferry and another 2 miles when the boat gets to San Francisco.

This vehicle can’t replace my bike but it sure is fun to use on my lazy days or when it’s a bit too hot to do any pedaling. The small wheels are inherently dangerous and you have to really watch the road ahead for any imperfections that might cause a tumble. I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it but it’s been easier to maneuver on and off of the ferry than my bike. I’ve actually been toying with the idea of building up a mini velo with a TSDZ2 but that’s a different conversation.

935D7737-ECEE-4E4B-A5CF-18EB3A4092E8.jpeg

Hey there. I bought an Apollo City scooter for my birthday last August 2021. My first wipe-out had me in a wrist brace for some months and didn't get to use it much before going nuts on ebikes shortly after that slide on loose gravel. So now getting into ebikes and my scooter is parked close by in my dining room. I've been getting into watching a lot of FMX and BMX in the last few days and starting to get a sense of what is happening with wheels of all kinds being integrated into super venues, the superbowl of wheel sports - Nitro Circus. And yes, thanks to guys like Ryan Williams who brought scooters out of the shadows and onto the stage. He is doing some wild stuff.

Anyway, I'll drop in once in a while to see what you are documenting on your scootering journey.

Peace.

I got my Apollo Ghost 2022 and have put 10 miles on it so far. Thing is crazy fast off the line! Always spins the front tire. I've got it in ECO mode now and learning to control that silly pointing finger throttle. Running the tire pressure at 45psi front/50 rear. I love the Ghost so far, but you don't get any exercise though. Will post a picture of it later.

I got my Apollo Ghost 2022 and have put 10 miles on it so far. Thing is crazy fast off the line! Always spins the front tire. I've got it in ECO mode now and learning to control that silly pointing finger throttle. Running the tire pressure at 45psi front/50 rear. I love the Ghost so far, but you don't get any exercise though. Will post a picture of it later.

I was looking at the Ghost for the longest time. Really great scooter and it looks good, too.

The only thing I have to say to this is why stand when you can sit? :)

Although I do have a slight issue with people who ride their ebikes just on throttle... it's not that hard to pedal esp with assist. :(

I used to have a non-e scooter and that thing was so tiring to kick push, I used it one day and decided scooters weren't for me.

Although I do have a slight issue with people who ride their ebikes just on throttle... it's not that hard to pedal esp with assist. :(
What-ever dude. I have an issue with people who have an issue with people who use throttle only. All I have to say is MYOB.

What-ever dude. I have an issue with people who have an issue with people who use throttle only. All I have to say is MYOB.
Well... then it really isn't a bike is it if you don't use the pedals? It's just a moped right?

A buddy of mine has an Arial Rider but he has the one that's just foot posts... no pedals... so at least he's not perpetrating. :)

My scooter that I found in a pile of trash. Turns out, IT WORKS! Got 2 new 12v 18ah lifepo4. I’m running the motor at the original 24v spec. The manual says it’s a 288 watt motor, but I’ve replaced the controller with a $10 dollar brushed controller. That sticker says “24v 500w”. Meter shows up to 30ah draw. 720w peaking. The motor gets hot pretty fast like that, or overvolted to 36v, so I backed off. But, eh, if I burn up the motor, I’ll have a good reason to upgrade to a brushless motor. Maybe even go from the 8” tire to a 10”. At that point, maybe it’s be best to invest in a more current scooter.

A3E0234D-A5DD-4CC4-AFE6-7D8BFF7628E8.jpeg

A 2007 Sharper Image CityBug

Yes, those are handlebars that I’m “borrowing” from my kids old bike. The condition that this was found in, was not good. I’m using my old throttle from my Ride1Up.

I know 3 guys that are volunteer fire fighters and they respond to firecalls on their electric scooters. With the scooters it's about a 3 minute trip to the firehall from their home. They can get there faster on scooters than by car because the road they need to travel gets backed up with tourist traffic at the lights. They're able to zip up the shoulder and get by the traffic will still obeying the lights. They all have blue lights mounted to indicate they're VFF.

Dang Slappy, that's cool looking! Fenders that actually look like they work! Nice project and the price was right.
The front fender is cracked all around the top and rattles. The rear one is solid. Right now, I’m looking for a box to house the batteries. I’m looking at an electrical junction box. It’s pvc and is water resistant. I need to make some sort of deck to span the length. Here it is with a seat that I “borrowed” from work.

8F7D1B71-DDBD-4CB7-8AC2-4B78A0A3C20C.png

Nevermind the cord. I used a meter to watch the scooter extract 30AMPS from the poor sad SLAs. It was a test. :)

It is comfortable. It’s also pretty light. Problem is, it swivels a bit when riding. It kind of leans back when accelerating. Still a work in progress.

Well, I gave the Apollo Ghost away. It just been sitting and takes up space. I no longer rode it anymore. And if anyone is considering an Apollo electric kick scooter check this out. The kickstand got damaged. No biggie, right? I order a new $14 kickstand for $20 shipping and go to remove the broken kickstand. Guess what happened? The capture screws for the kickstand bolts inside the deck fell IN the deck! So now I can't put a new kickstand back on without pulling the whole deck back apart! What a idiot design. Oh, speaking of idiots, Apollo sent the wrong replacement kickstand.

I just said "Heck with it!" and gave it to a friend who loves projects like this. Like I mentioned, it wasn't really for me anyways. I much prefer my ebike. I feel safer and don't have to wear a backpack.

I love projects like that. That’s how I got a 24v EVG ebike. It was going to the trash, then my buddy thought maybe I could use a new project. Heck ya! I love giving new life to old s*it. It works great! But what to do with it now….lol

Also, my scooter has evolved quite a bit.

F86F2955-7551-463E-82F4-39BBF8EA4D04.jpeg

36v 20ah battery. Brushless 8” solid tire motor. A 36v 22A (Max) controller. Double handlebars!

Last edited:
Your journey through different scooters is quite interesting, from the Xiaomi M365 to the NineBot Max and now the Kaabo Mantis 8. It sounds like you've found a great solution for your commute, especially with the added bike basket for groceries and other essentials.

The flexibility of electric scooters for those lazy or extra-hot days is a real plus. Safety is paramount, though, especially with smaller wheels, so watching the road is crucial.

If you ever decide to explore an energy electric scooters journey, it would be fascinating to hear about that too!

Last edited:
Back