The all new Stromer ST5 ABS

bluecat

anhalter.jpg

The next step in technology is to add the ABS to a Stromer. You know the Bosch ABS system, but as Stromer is also a brand with esthetic claim, it was no option. That's why the italian blubrake system is installed. The sole thing you see from outside is this second rotor. A light barrier counts the holes, so the rotation of the wheel can be measured.

The price will be slightly higher, to compensate the expensive ABS, there will be Alexrims instead of DT Swiss, XT instead of XTR shifter and the slower 190 charger.

ST5_ABS.jpg

I was able to test ride the ABS Stromer - did this on gravel. However, the best picture I could took was at the exhibition.

Thanks for picking up this topic!

I did not only pictures, I did als a short test ride. To test the functionality, I've chosen gravel. This is not the common road surface for a commuter bike. But the function of the ABS can be easily demonstrated. I checked first with the rear brake (no ABS), then with the front brake only. The outcome was very surprising for me and of course I discussed it with the people from Stromer. They confirmed my observations and explains why the ABS has this behavior as shown in this video:

bluecat, are you saying the ABS system on the Stromer is only on the front wheel?
sorry, i know i am not him. but about the ABS, yes it's only front wheel.

i believe i read the reason for ABS (besides gimmick 😁) is, that blocking/losing grip on the front wheel is the nr. 1 reason people lose control of their bike, when breaking.

sorry, i know i am not him. but about the ABS, yes it's only front wheel.

i believe i read the reason for ABS (besides gimmick 😁) is, that blocking/losing grip on the front wheel is the nr. 1 reason people lose control of their bike, when breaking.
This happened to me a couple of days ago. I was riding down a pedestrian/bike path and a dog ran out in front of me. The pavement was wet and I locked the rear wheel for a second or two until I backed off on the brakes.
I didn't come close to losing control, but if that had happened to the front wheel I probably would have gone down.

This happened to me a couple of days ago. I was riding down a pedestrian/bike path and a dog ran out in front of me. The pavement was wet and I locked the rear wheel for a second or two until I backed off on the brakes.
I didn't come close to losing control, but if that had happened to the front wheel I probably would have gone down.
uufff, sounds like a close call. glad to hear nothing happend!!!! and sounds like good handling. almost wish i could of saw you :)
but unleashed dogs next to a bikelane sounds like a good recepy for desaster... (i do love dogs :))

locking the back wheel happened a couple times to me too. but in my case, the only problem was the rider. luckily the front wheel doesn't block as fast while bracking, thanks to the additonal perssure on the front wheel. (sorry, my english is limitted)

bluecat, are you saying the ABS system on the Stromer is only on the front wheel?
I believe so and that is where it is needed most. The worst thing in braking is locking the front wheel and rolling over the bike which this will probably help significantly.

Since I have an e-gravel bike I often ride on trails and gravel roads, where having a bike with ABS would be a great safety feature.
The only time I've locked my front wheel, while riding on pavement, was when there was a bit of frost on the road. On the other hand, I've locked my front wheel a number of times trail riding.

As a connoisseur of the top ebikes , i applaud this effort from Stromer AG and this may be the final straw to make me a convert 😉

But works pretty good .. :)

I don't know if you understood well what he said. The point is, I observed exactly the opposite (as shown above).

I had a longer talk with people from blubrake. They already updated the technical parts, now they are more integrated and somewhat smaller. The functionality remains the same, a software update will take place. Stromer will change to to new series on the ST5 in Q2, the ST3 Pinion will have from beginning (an an option).

Observe the changes since the presentation: Red brake callipers and welding seams polished.

MEB03240.jpg

What „opposites“ do you mean ? The video says it works without any problems and very fine tuned. You can pull the brake lever like you want - the front wheel will never block.

After Court's review , more things can be known about this ebike.

My op.:

Some minuses i noticed with that ST5 Abs model:

- kickstand location deserves a huge dislike and it can not be located in the rear unless drilling into the frame
- racktime racks r no good
-Pirelli tires r way too thick for front, cornering becomes not that good
-4.5amp charge speed is not V. fast as described, try 8amp(Grin Tech) or 10amps with the right charger
- Major dislike is the handlebar lack of adjustability (it would need a new design)
- Major dislike with the display being out of view and actually it creates quite a dangerous sit. when a rider will look down @ it while riding
- Major dislike with the 77-80lbs weight once the Wren fork is installed
-Major dislike with the lack of dealers/support , maybe 3-5 of them in the whole Us
-Major dislike that a throttle is not included which would have been just an xtra cable and the throttle itself

Many Major likes are present but the dislikes (esp. that nerdy handlebar ) just make it a museum of art only piece .

Obviously, buying a Stromer translates into : Need a great mech. nearby and a great dealer.

The Vanmoof V @ only 4-5k will absolutly delete this model or any model from this brand from everyone's option list !

Stromer dealers in Us:
Only 6-7states with dealers, only 3 dealers in TX, Tx is about the same size of Europe..

C Belgium 50+dealers and Europe service vs Us !

Attachments

• F1AFB9B8-C2D7-422A-A634-D0E093695DED.png
    F1AFB9B8-C2D7-422A-A634-D0E093695DED.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 180
  • B5553A89-BDCA-4188-998B-69A2A02408E9.png
    B5553A89-BDCA-4188-998B-69A2A02408E9.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 188
  • CA2493F5-45FA-4A00-A583-3B21AC2035AB.png
    CA2493F5-45FA-4A00-A583-3B21AC2035AB.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Back