Tesla and Dalhousie University in Canada renew and strengthen their partnership

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Tesla recently signed a new agreement to strengthen and expand the battery R&D at Dalhousie University, Canada.

Read the article here: https://electricautonomy.ca/2021/01/18/tesla-dalhousie-university-jeff-dahn/

From million mile battery to pioneering single-crystal cathodes, the research coming from Jeff's lab is making an impact in Tesla's products like Megapacks, semi-trucks, Powerwall, Cybertruck, etc.

I have been fortunate to have known Dr. Dahn for 3 years and counting days to join his team. Dr. Dahn is very supportive of Zen E-bikes and will be launching the products later this year in 2021.

Job security Ravi! Congrats

I wish I could say that but it's a very demanding time and energy-wise.
Some would say it is quite stressful at times but I think it is also more rewarding when you see that your work makes an actual impact in the world.

From the article:
"...Giving back to the Nova Scotia ecosystem that helped nurture his career and provide him with support, academic resources and nurtured a cleantech space around his lab is important to him. Under the terms of the original Tesla deal, Dahn wasn’t allowed to take on mentor roles or consult with other clean tech start ups in the province. Now, that will change. For the next five years Dahn is free to work with the leading EV maker and help the little guys, too."

I think that's great! Less barriers for Dahn's research to impact other industries.

From the article:
"...Giving back to the Nova Scotia ecosystem that helped nurture his career and provide him with support, academic resources and nurtured a cleantech space around his lab is important to him. Under the terms of the original Tesla deal, Dahn wasn’t allowed to take on mentor roles or consult with other clean tech start ups in the province. Now, that will change. For the next five years Dahn is free to work with the leading EV maker and help the little guys, too."

I think that's great! Less barriers for Dahn's research to impact other industries.

I really admire Dr. Dahn because he has no air about himself being the most prolific scientist (although he is), and he is extremely generous with sharing his time and knowledge with his team. He is constantly working and helping people around him succeed. People like that very rare, and one reason I let go of my desire to stay in the US and move to Canada. Knowledgeable and kind boss' makes your life so much better :).
His involvement with the startups will be a blessing for sure. If you or any EBR friends ever make it to that part of Canada, please don't hesitate to reach out to me, it will be cool to take a quick tour of the facility.

Last edited:
Does he or any of the people in the upper management rides an ebike ? Would be interesting to know what is their opinion about ebikes and maybe they could get Tesla to make one kick ass 21century ebike.

I really admire Dr. Dahn because he has no air about himself being the most prolific scientist (although he is), and he is extremely generous with sharing his time and knowledge with his team. He is constantly working and helping people around him succeed. People like that very rare, and one reason I let go of my desire to stay in the US and move to Canada. Knowledgeable and kind boss' makes your life so much better :).
His involvement with the startups will be a blessing for sure. If you or any EBR friends ever make it to that part of Canada, please don't hesitate to reach out to me, it will be cool to take a quick tour of the facility.
A little additional information from Electrek... Tesla gets a new head of its Advanced Battery Research in Canada, renews contract (electrek.co)

Thanks, guys!
Dr. Dahn and his wife are big fans of E-bikes. So, they are one among us.
They used to rent E-bikes whenever they went to the EU for summer conferences or vacations.
Zen E-bikes is building custom E-bikes for him and his wife.

Here, in this video, he is talking about the renewed partnership with Tesla.

Last edited:
Back