Tero update to Class 3

I received same. Hard to see any reason not to get the upgrade. I use my Tero 5 about 75% for commuting and 25% offroad. Mostly fire roads. Will consider moving to a 38 or 40t front ring. But worried I may not have enough low end for some of the steeper offroad climbs. Decisions Decisions.

I will move to the US!!!
Jodi... to not to be able to ride in so many national and landscape parks (and many urban jurisdictions) there? To ride with traffic in the lack of proper bike paths? Hahaha!
I thought you had already owned a 45 km/h e-bike in addition to your Creo? :D

Just got an email from Specialized offering to permanently change my Tero from Class 1 (US 20 mph restriction) to Class 3 (28 mph) at no charge. I'll probably do this and glad I don't have to spring for the Peartune.
that's great news! What state/country do you live in? Do you know if it is based on location?

Stopped by the LBS last night after the ride home. 5 minute upgrade. Could not have been easier. Went for a short ride after. hard to get the bike much over 25 mph with stock 36/11 gearing. Definitely nice not to have the motor cutout on the flats at 20. Looking fwd to the morning commute.

Edit- did the commute- 15 miles, couple small rises, one hill with a 500’ 6% climb. Really nice to cruise at 22-23 on the flats. I dont go 28 on the flats by any means, but its great not to have that motor cut out at 20mph. I actually got a better workout. Previously in class 1 mode. I would either spin fast and light at 36/12, cruising at 18-19mph and 80-83 cadence right at the edge of the flat spot of the power cutoff. Now I can spin that to 90 or so and go 21-22, or push harder at 36/11 and 80 cadence. Felt great. Makes the bike a lot more versatile. I usually burn about 20-25% power on the way in. This AM I burned 28%.

Last edited:
Stopped by the LBS last night after the ride home. 5 minute upgrade. Could not have been easier. Went for a short ride after. hard to get the bike much over 25 mph with stock 36/11 gearing. Definitely nice not to have the motor cutout on the flats at 20. Looking fwd to the morning commute.

Edit- did the commute- 15 miles, couple small rises, one hill with a 500’ 6% climb. Really nice to cruise at 22-23 on the flats. I dont go 28 on the flats by any means, but its great not to have that motor cut out at 20mph. I actually got a better workout. Previously in class 1 mode. I would either spin fast and light at 36/12, cruising at 18-19mph and 80-83 cadence right at the edge of the flat spot of the power cutoff. Now I can spin that to 90 or so and go 21-22, or push harder at 36/11 and 80 cadence. Felt great. Makes the bike a lot more versatile. I usually burn about 20-25% power on the way in. This AM I burned 28%.
Good to know. See this thread for info on someone who did swap chainrings. I think he eventually sold the bike but gives good info on class 3 enabled Tero.

California. Pretty sure the offer would be only for US Teros.
I was able to stop by my lbs today and get the update and it definitely should have been this way from the manufacturer. It is the perfect commuter now. I hated when it would cut out at 20mph on a long straight. Now it's perfect, although at 26+ you pretty much maxed out RPM wise. Looking forward to switching out the tires to something a little more road friendly next.

Just emailed my LBS and was told that they would do the upgrade for $55. I have not received my Specialized email as of yet. I am not the original owner BUT I am the current registered owner. I think that I read above that the email from Specialized says that the upgrade would be free. Any advise/help/suggestions?
Maybe I will wait to see if I indeed get an email from Specialized. I am in the USA. Thanks for your help.
Steve

Yes the email says the update is free.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 358
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 330
Just emailed my LBS and was told that they would do the upgrade for $55. I have not received my Specialized email as of yet. I am not the original owner BUT I am the current registered owner. I think that I read above that the email from Specialized says that the upgrade would be free. Any advise/help/suggestions?
Maybe I will wait to see if I indeed get an email from Specialized. I am in the USA. Thanks for your help.
Steve

Jodi... to not to be able to ride in so many national and landscape parks (and many urban jurisdictions) there? To ride with traffic in the lack of proper bike paths? Hahaha!
I thought you had already owned a 45 km/h e-bike in addition to your Creo? :D
Still gonna have that Class1 sticker on it, so unless one abuses the capability who would ever know?

As I’d posted earlier, my slightly used 2022 Vado 5.0 came with a Class 1 sticker in the box which could easily be applied in lieu of the Class 3 sticker.

I would bet the offer is free to original bike purchaser. $55 cost for upgrade is pretty reasonable, seeing as the dealer has to take his time to do this.

I would bet the offer is free to original bike purchaser. $55 cost for upgrade is pretty reasonable, seeing as the dealer has to take his time to do this.
Just received confirmation from Specialized rider care - The upgrade is free for all turbo tero owners - original purchasers or not.
And I quote -
"Thanks for reaching out to rider care. I have attached the message that was sent out. You will want to go into your local Specialized retailer to get this update installed. No worries about not being the original owner, this update is available to everyone.
Ride on!"
And the letter that was attached does state that it is supposed to be free - as stated previously.

Steve

Back