Tern GSD 2021: How does it perform on hills?

chinaski

Region
Canada
Hi all.

We are Vancouver BC residents and are looking at the Tern GSD (2021). Have never ridden an electric bike before. Use case for us is just what the Tern is supposed to be good at: grocery shopping, transporting a 7 year old to all the things, commuting to work, and day trips of varying lengths on city roads.

All of these activities will be undertaken in a very hilly city and I'm curious about the hill climbing abilities of the bike under load - like a few bags of groceries and a 7 year old passenger. Can anyone with actual experience on the bike provide some insight?

Thanks!

Replying to my own question. Took a couple of test drives of the bike, did a lot of reading, posted on the Reddit cargobike forum which is much more active than this one.

Upshot: bought a S10 LX GSD and have been doing some riding. The Bosch Cargo Line is very capable on hills with cargo. For example: took the seven year old and some groceries up a steep and fairly long hill with no issues.

Shuttled an adult passenger up a different and slightly less steep hill today and it was trivial. Didn't use Turbo in either case as it wasn't needed. You can definitely Get Stuff Done with the bike, and that includes hills.

Good to know that the Bosch Cargo Line motor is up to the task. Last year I bought my girlfriend a Tern HSD S+ with a lesser Bosch motor, and I was disappointed with the weak uphill performance. But, at the time, the Bosch Cargo Line was not yet available for the GSD. The good news is that my girlfriend loves her bike!

Good to know that the Bosch Cargo Line motor is up to the task. Last year I bought my girlfriend a Tern HSD S+ with a lesser Bosch motor, and I was disappointed with the weak uphill performance. But, at the time, the Bosch Cargo Line was not yet available for the GSD. The good news is that my girlfriend loves her bike!
I am thinking about getting a second Tern - the HSD. I'm hoping that the next gen version upgrades to the Cargo Line motor...

Back