Tandem eBike ?

While I am sure that weighs a lot the weight can easily be compensated for with an e drive system. The only issue I see is that the stoker (rear) cockpit looks rather on the small side. It is a steel bike though so modifications can be made. For $600 obo I would consider that a good price for a base unit that you can modify for your needs.

Any time you are dealing with special needs it turns out to be a trial as there are no two sets of needs that's the same.

I trust him to be the front rider. He is very high functioning autistic. It's more the strength and stamina to biking anywhere; like I could buy him a stabilizing training wheel set for big riders and he could learn how to use brakes and eventually shifting gears (with time). But strength. Nope. Yet he can dance and walk for a long time. Hmmm with time and practice he could probably ride a traditional bike independently with electric bike assist.

We live in a planned community with a lot of bike paths. We wouldn't do any roads except small ones in our neighborhood.

That Tandem trike is gone... (being picked up tomorrow)... Really, we could do a regular tandem, probably with electric assistance, but even the ones I see, tall riders are usually in the front? Women in back? (though it would/could be my husband and I switching back and forth). Egad... stuff is so expensive and it's a double whammy because of special needs.

The tandem bicycle is a unique and complex machine, and historically there are lots of ways to do them wrong, and just a few ways to get it right. I think the best way to do an e-tandem would be to start with a real tandem bicycle made by an outfit that does a lot of them (Santana, Co-Motion come to mind). My initial thoughts are that the most straightforward way to do an e-tandem would be a front hub design. I say that because the rear hub of a tandem is already a special thing: very wide between the dropouts, capable of supporting a lot of weight and tremendous torque. Many tandems use high spoke count (40, 48) and have specially designed hubs. I don't think regular rear e-hubs will work there.

The prospect of a mid-drive on a tandem does not thrill me. The easiest way to incorporate it would be on the captain's bottom bracket. Even so, the additional torque will put a lot of stress on the already highly stressed drivetrain, which would need to be upgraded beyond standard tandem technology.
Putting a mid-drive on the stoker bottom bracket may be problematic and require some unique and custom engineering, I believe, and could get expensive and fiddly.

That leaves the front hub, which presents the least problems, in my quick assessment. The front hub of a tandem bicycle is a special device as well, strongly built with high spoke count. You would need to verify that any hub of interest could provide the needed qualities. An added advantage of a front hub unit is that when you are not going to the mountains, you can change out your wheel, take off the battery, and proceed as a regular tandem. That is an attractive prospect for me. The more I think about this the more I am considering trying it on my old Trek steel tandem (which would be a good tandem to hang an e-motor on if you can get one used: good handling, good frame build, inexpensive, likely to require a refurbishment anyway due to age; I would not use a more recent aluminum Trek tandem). Good luck, it sounds like fun...

Howdy. The thought just crossed my mind a few days ago while thinking of someone who's significant other may be incapable of riding alone but would do ok on a tandem. OTOH a tandem is a litlle bit harder for going uphill than on a single bike I thought a tandem eBike could be the solution. Are there any and what are the top tandem eBikes out there? Thanks. :)

Howdy. The thought just crossed my mind a few days ago while thinking of someone who's significant other may be incapable of riding alone but would do ok on a tandem. OTOH a tandem is a litlle bit harder for going uphill than on a single bike I thought a tandem eBike could be the solution.

Are there any and what are the top tandem eBikes out there?

Thanks. :)
We have four of them in stock. They are the Gepida tandem and can be seen at www.nwebikes.com The great thing about them is that the stoker (back) position has a freewheel and so they can either pedal or not. If their pedals are stationary the captain (front) position can pedal and with the help of the Bosch mid-drive motor can do all of the work that is needed. In Turbo (highest setting) the motor will add 225% to whatever the captain is doing and can easily climb hills. These bikes are perfect for what you are describing. You can PM me or contact me at [email protected] for more info. Thanks, James a New World.

I put up some pictures of our Circe Helios STEPS tandem elsewhere on this forum. It's a 20' tandem which makes it very easy to transport (fits INSIDE a small hatchback) and gives a low stepover height. We just completed a tour of the Austrian Lakes district on it and it performed very well. Despite the small wheels, it's very steady at speed, and comfortable. If you contact their website they will tell you about availability in the USA.

Attachments

• P1000563.JPG
    P1000563.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 918
that's a pretty cool bike. Imagine riding it on the GAP/C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC - ideal :)

I found this as I'm thinking of an electric tandem... Or at least adapting a 'unique' tandem I have to make it electic. Maybe you all can help me - but realize I'm a complete novice and not matter what I do, I'd have to pay someone to make any adaptations.

I have a son with high functioning autism. He pretty much can do anything, but it takes longer and is "looser" with low muscle tone. He just turned 12 and is tall and fit (dances and walks a lot) but we haven't gotten him to bike riding yet. I think he'll get it this summer. He has the balance part down, but the pedaling, while steering, while balancing... that has been tricky (but we also haven't worked on it much).

But even if/when he gets to biking, it's going to take awhile for him to get the stamina/strength to go up hills due to low muscle tone. We have a tandem of sorts, bit it's a bit unusual. We've used it some, but it's so heavy and it's been basically ME providing all the push/pull power and even at my top fitness 5 years ago (now I've gone all soft again - but working on it) I couldn't keep up with my husband. I would have to get off and walk at any hill.

Here is the bike we have: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

We got it used... its' their basic model. They now have bigger ones. Maybe that might be better - or another electric tandem.

Anyway... I'm 5'6". My 12 year old is already 5'9". He'll probably get to 6'3/6'4" based on his growth trajectory compared to his older brother's who is 6'2". This buddy bike is probably already too small for us with him as the front rider. I cannot have him be the back rider as that is who does the controlling. BUT... perhaps it could be converted to electric? Or we could get the bigger version to be electrified (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The down side to this is that the pedals will keep moving for the front rider even though they may be "resting" and that can be problematic if he's not wearing/using toe clips...So the comment above captain and stoker being able to pedal or coast is important.

I think this would help my son learn to ride and be less frustrating. As we home school now too, it's something he, I, and my husband could do together. Heck even my husband and I could bike together on an electric tandem too.

FWIW we had a Bike Friday that we were getting a bit old and soft for. Looked on aliexpress and got a e-bike conversion kit. New front wheel with motor + controller + display etc for about $US250. Then add as much battery as you want - 10Ah (the standard) about $US220 from DHGate.com. 20Ah for about $US320.

Not the classiest conversion but works a treat .....

I have a hard time taking Pedego seriously. I guess I need a bias reeducation camp.
Why? We have four. My husband uses his every day for a 25 mile round-trip commute. I commute one day a week, 28 miles round-trip. I take daily rides for exercise. We ride places as a family. My 13 year old daughter commutes to her summer activites, my teenage son, who was quite sedentary, rides miles each day and is always ready for a ride. They are great bikes.

Last edited:
I have a son with high functioning autism.
Mams, I have a similar situation and will contact you via private message.

On trikes--Your son has enough coordination to learn to ride a regular bike. Try the no-pedal method in an area that is flat with the option of a gentle grade. No pedals, put the seat down very low so he has both feet on the ground with knees slightly bent.

See my private message! :)

I have a hard time taking Pedego seriously. I guess I need a bias reeducation camp.

Why? Solid, high quality products and great customer service. We love our bikes! Have not tried the tandem. My H has the Dutch-style City Commuter. I have the retro styled Interceptor. They also have other styles of bike for more aggressive riding purposes with more aggressive styling.

Maybe their "Hello, fun!" motto offends? I love it because it really describes how we feel about our bikes.

May I understand the source of your negative feelings toward Pedego? Because they market to an older demographic (who are actually the biggest consumers of e-bikes)? Maybe you dislike some of the retro styling?

Anyway, as Ann M. said, they have a tandem model. Tandem bikes are all about having fun. Pedego's is also priced quite competitively in the tandem bike market. Sounds like a great choice! Hello, fun! ;)

Oh, and if you need a bias reeducation camp, I bet Pedego would be glad to provide you with a bias reeducation daycamp, free of charge. Just go visit a store every day and ride a different bike every day for a week! Have a bottle of water and a snack. After basking in the lovely people and bikes, nourished by that cliff bar you just ate, you may come out with a big smile on your face. :)

First post!

Revisiting this thread, we have a circa-2003 Santana tandem and are looking to upgrade to electric, is the BAFANG the only option?
The Copenhagen wheel has weight limits, no? Wheel style is preferred since you can downgrade easily enough...

Thanks,
/Ed

All I can say about tandems is; if the Captain gets a little flatulent NEVER, I'm mean absolutely NEVER let one rip!
My wife will never ride on a tandem bike with me again... :confused:

First post!

Revisiting this thread, we have a circa-2003 Santana tandem and are looking to upgrade to electric, is the BAFANG the only option?
The Copenhagen wheel has weight limits, no? Wheel style is preferred since you can downgrade easily enough...

Thanks,
/Ed
Are you asking about a Bafang mid drive, or Bafang hub motor.

An option to consider; buy a regular tandem bike and have a nice conversion kit installed. I just got a 48V Geared 750W with 1400W peak kit and it ROCKS. FYI I'm 230 LBS and I tested it on some pretty steep hills on grass. If you get a new bike have it sent to the company and they will install the kit for you.
@rich c: Bafang mid drive...

I should note, together we weigh 315lbs + bike, phones, etc.

The kit I just purchased from Bisto Electric Bikes would be perfect for your bike. It is a hub drive geared 750W - 1400W peak motor and wheel designed to carry 345 LBS. I'm 230 and it shoots me up some steep hills on grass without peddling. The internal gearing makes this the best choice IMHO for any type of hub motor. Kit and 17 AH 48V 3450 Panasonic cell battery gives it the power needed. Costs around $1200 +- and the cool thing is if you aren't handy you can send it to them and they will install everything for you. If you can change a rear tire and adjust brakes/shifters you can install this kit. If you are serious start a conversation/PM and I'll get you some contact information.

First post!

Thanks,
/Ed

FWIW we have an (old) Bike Friday Family Tandem that we were getting a bit old and soft for. Looked on aliexpress and got a e-bike conversion kit. New front wheel with motor + controller + display etc for about $US250. Then add as much battery as you want - 10Ah (the standard) about $US220 from DHGate.com. 20Ah for about $US320.

Not the classiest conversion but works a treat ..... only a "300W" motor ... goes like a rocket ...

FWIW we have an (old) Bike Friday Family Tandem that we were getting a bit old and soft for. Looked on aliexpress and got a e-bike conversion kit. New front wheel with motor + controller + display etc for about $US250. Then add as much battery as you want - 10Ah (the standard) about $US220 from DHGate.com. 20Ah for about $US320.

Not the classiest conversion but works a treat ..... only a "300W" motor ... goes like a rocket ...

This seems less turn-key than I but glad it works for you. We only have the one bike...Don't want too much downtime.

This seems less turn-key than I but glad it works for you. We only have the one bike...Don't want too much downtime.

The wheel was a straight swap. The electric stuff came with color coded wires and instructions. Not real hard. It was a little fiddly fitting the PAS sensor to the crank axle but not immensely so. The wires were way longer than I needed so I had to fold them up and put a housing around them. That was a soda bottle (split) and some gaffer tape. I put the battery on the rear rack and ran a wire from there to the controller.

Back