Taking the front wheel off and back on giant explore e3

new_ebiker

Any tips on how to put the front wheel back on without rubbing the rotor or braking strangely?

I took the front wheel off and it’s a pain to put it back on. that’s what I missed about riding a bike with rim brake.

Questions I have is:

1.can I flip the bike upside down to change the front tire? I heard u can’t do that for hydraulic brakes

2. when the rotor is not rubbing, the wheel lean towards the left side when I brake

3. when it doesn’t pushed the tire towards the eighth side, the rotor is rubbing

Any tips on how to put the front wheel back on without rubbing the rotor or braking strangely?
I took the front wheel off and it’s a pain to put it back on. that’s what I missed about riding a bike with rim brake.

Questions I have is:

1.can I flip the bike upside down to change the front tire? I heard u can’t do that for hydraulic brakes
2. when the rotor is not rubbing, the wheel leans towards the left side when I brake
3. when it doesn’t push the tire towards the eighth side, the rotor is rubbing

Here is a tip to help get the front wheel centered in the fork and caliper.
  1. Flip the bike upside down... this is Ok for a short period of time.
  2. Do not pull the brake lever... this will close the pads inside the caliper.
  3. Place the wheel back on the fork, but do not tighten the QR or bolts on the axle.
  4. Make sure the rotor is seated between the pads and then pull and hold the brake lever.
  5. While holding the brake lever, have a friend tighten the from QR or bolts on the axle... this will center the wheel and rotor.
  6. Check the clearance by now rotating the wheel and listen for any signs of rubbing on the pads and rotor. Job well done. 😉

Good tips, I ll try the alignment tip first. I ll try to make sure the front wheel sits properly despite the rotor is rubbing and then realign.

thx

One more question

what if I have to fix a flat, does it always require to realignment after taking the wheel out?

I tried everything it still rubs. I think because my front rotor is slightly bent. I ordered a repair tool from amazon to get it fixed

Likely a bent rotor... keep the wheel in the fork and just take your time as use the tool to make small adjustments.
After each adjustment, spin the wheel again and check the rotor clearance between the pads... slow and steady wins the race.

Likely a bent rotor... keep the wheel in the fork and just take your time as use the tool to make small adjustments.
After each adjustment, spin the wheel again and check the rotor clearance between the pads... slow and steady wins the race.

thank you, this is the first time I m having a disc brake. I don’t even recall how I bent the rotor...

Hi all, just wanted to report back that my wheel is fixed. I bought the tool from amazon, and played around with it for 1 hr or so, the rotor is no longer rubbing the pads. Thank you everyone for your help!

Hi all, just wanted to report back that my wheel is fixed. I bought the tool from amazon, and played around with it for 1 hr or so, the rotor is no longer rubbing the pads.
Thank you everyone for your help!

Congrats... a great sense of accomplishment!

Congrats... a great sense of accomplishment!

yes, a lot of the bike shops are very busy. I m so happy I was able to get it fix.

When it's time to replace the rotor, can I get the 180mm instead of the 160mm I have now? does the bigger rotor have better stopping power?

yes, a lot of bike shops are very busy. I'm so happy I was able to get it fixed.

When it's time to replace the rotor, can I get the 180mm instead of the 160mm I have now? does the bigger rotor have better-stopping power?

Yes, larger rotors provide better-stopping power and heat dissipation on long descents.

The pad friction heat buildup will cause brake fade and is the enemy of hydraulic brakes.

Just remember to use an adapter mounting plate for the caliper when you increase the rotor size.

Back