Suggestions for eBike in the Pacific Northwest

GenuineProdigy

Region
USA
Hello everyone, over the last several months I realized that I barely use my vehicle (mainly just a normal cheap bicycle and public transportation) and have decided to fully switch over to an eBike & public transportation lifestyle using Lyft and Uber when a vehicle is absolutely necessary for me. So, I've been researching eBikes that would fit my needs and I'm currently settled on a Dost Kope Chain, however, there are so many eBikes that I've ran across that I don't know if there might be a better choice. I figured this forum would be the perfect to ask more knowledgeable people.

Down below are a few bits of information about myself and the features/needs/criteria I would like/have.

• I'm 5'8 and 227lb (working on dropping to 195lb - 200lb).
  • $4500 max budget, but would prefer under $4000.
  • Mixture of paved/unpaved roads, bust mostly paved bike lanes and sidewalks.
  • Some hills, but nothing insane.
  • Oregon weather: frequent rain/drizzle, ice/snow during winters, sunny during summers.
  • Class 3
  • Integrated Lights
  • Dual battery expansion.
  • Rear rack

I would be using the eBike for most of my activities including work commute, grocery store, local hobby stores, etc. The main reason I was looking at the Dost Kope Chain is because it seems like it meets those needs and I can change it between class 1, 2 or, 3 depending on where I'm going and how far it is. However, I'm fully and completely open to suggestions.

Thank you very much.

At $4800 it's a few hundred over budget, but it's an amazing bike for the money. Checks all your boxes, and some, except price.

That's for the suggestion! That definitely does look like it checks all boxes and might be worth the slight extra cash for the long-term. I'll be sure to research it.

If you live in the PDX metro area there is a gentleman on CL that is selling a Stromer ST1 for a very good price that looks to be in excellent condition and would be your size. Although it is a Class III bike in the OR, I live here also, there are no Class regs as of yet so I find just being a reasonable rider that shows respect to the rules of the road and others gets along just fine in the city and country. Just a though because quite often those getting their first Ebikes for serious use tend to upgrade to what they discover after riding for awhile is a better fit and can stand to lose some $$ doing so. If you start out with a good deal used one you can pass it on and no lose money or maybe it will be the right fit?

Other than that the ZEN is a great bike!

check out the specialized Vado 3.0 with the IGH, I have moved to the belt drive bikes, not likely to buy another chain drive, you can also micro tune the Vado to get good mileage
Check out a Vado. Not necessarily with the IGH :)

check out the specialized Vado 3.0 with the IGH, I have moved to the belt drive bikes, not likely to buy another chain drive, you can also micro tune the Vado to get good mileage
Check out a Vado. Not necessarily with the IGH :)

Haha, yeah I just looked them up and saw all the variations of a Vado. I bookmarked the Vado 3.0 as a starting point of researching it and their other bikes. Thanks a ton for that information!

If you live in the PDX metro area there is a gentleman on CL that is selling a Stromer ST1 for a very good price that looks to be in excellent condition and would be your size. Although it is a Class III bike in the OR, I live here also, there are no Class regs as of yet so I find just being a reasonable rider that shows respect to the rules of the road and others gets along just fine in the city and country. Just a though because quite often those getting their first Ebikes for serious use tend to upgrade to what they discover after riding for awhile is a better fit and can stand to lose some $$ doing so. If you start out with a good deal used one you can pass it on and no lose money or maybe it will be the right fit?

Other than that the ZEN is a great bike!

I live close, I'm in the Tualatin area. So, I'll check out the CL and the bike itself. Thank you for that information!

On the other hand, I already reached out to ZEN about some questions and their customer support needs to be fantastic.

I bookmarked the Vado 3.0 as a starting point of researching it and their other bikes.
You said that the range was important for you. Think Vado 4.0 that has a 710 Wh battery. The battery is the most expensive of e-bike components and you would never regret higher battery capacity!

At $4800 it's a few hundred over budget, but it's an amazing bike for the money. Checks all your boxes, and some, except price.

Hey a bit of a late reply, but wanted to hear more about why you think the ZEN Samurai is a better bike than the Dost Kope? I'm completely new to ebikes (never even owned a regular bike before), so I'd love just more input and information.

Hey a bit of a late reply, but wanted to hear more about why you think the ZEN Samurai is a better bike than the Dost Kope? I'm completely new to ebikes (never even owned a regular bike before), so I'd love just more input and information.
Sorry, I don't have knowledge of Dost bikes. I do trust Bosch drives and the safety of their certified batteries and I also trust the owner of Zen, I've known him for more than 8 years. Best of luck in your search!

rain and Bosch bikes in the PNW
IMG_1118.jpeg
IMG_3719.jpeg
IMG_1003.jpeg

I just bought a Ride1up Prodigy, after having a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro for a couple of years. I also live in the Pacific NW. Thanks to weather and Covid and now weather again, I have not had a chance to ride it much, but I am really happy with the build quality and the torque for getting up hills. The only thing I don't like about it is the hideous PVC pipe grey paint job on it, but I have modded it with adhesive vinyl and now it is much more handsome. At the price of $2250 or thereabouts, for a Class 3 with a Brose motor with 90nm torque, it is an excellent deal. No throttle, no IGH, but otherwise it has all you are looking for. You can buy a spare battery from the company. Seat is extremely comfortable. I am 5'7" with long legs, so although it only comes in one size, it will fit you just fine. If you would like to give it a test ride and are willing to hop a ferry to the Kitsap Peninsula once this snow and ice goes, you are welcome to give mine a try. Just send me a PM. I had to just take a chance, and I am so far quite happy with it.

PXL_20221226_205026124.jpg
Here is my Ride1up Prodigy,so you can see the purple vinyl and stripes of red and amber reflective tape. I did swap in an adjustable stem and my old ergonomic grips. Also added a mirror. Just went for a ten mile ride and easily rode 28mph on the relative flat portion of the ride. Although once I had derestricted my Class 1 ebike, the gearing was not designed to do more than 22 comfortably, whereas on this bike, it has enough gearing range. All in all, I think it is an excellent value, especially for those of us who live on hills.

I concur with @Zen e-bikes.

They have put out a few videos lately about getting into the business
of manufacturing batteries of the highest quality with Novonix as a partner.
1672694724369.png

Batteries with capabilities of 5k cycles or more and long warrantees.
One of the most expensive components is the battery.

It would be great for the battery to last 20 years or more with built in
optionality/versatility to be utilized for other purposes.

Also it wouldn't surprise me to see a new A.S.I. motor with integrated controller.
They have videos on this as well.

Back