Sub $3000 Leisure/Commuter Bike For Hilly Area [Final Choice: Priority Current]

Well, I decided today. The Priority Current is on the way. At 5'6" I ordered the small.

I was considering the Gazelle, the Priority, and the Serial 1. Frankly, the Priority won on price.
Gazelle C380+Serial 1 Rush/SpeedPriority Current
Price$4,749$5,599$3,299
TransmissionEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVT
AutomaticFALSETRUEFALSE
MotorBoschBrose TF MagTruckrun
Parts AvailableTRUETRUEFALSE
Class 3TRUETRUETRUE
Torque (Nm)8590140
Watt500
Battery (Wh)500706500
Ah13.410.4
Volt3648
Range (min mi.)202530
LightsTRUETRUETRUE
FendersTRUETRUETRUE
Internal routingFALSETRUEFALSE
Tyre Size28"27.5
Suspension ForkTRUEFALSEFALSE
RacksTRUETRUEFALSE
Weight55.659
Brakes4 Piston4 Piston2 Piston
Nice! How much did you end up paying?

I think the biggest strength to the other bikes is the motor. The truckrun motor is the biggest gamble here and none of us really know how reliable they will be. In terms of torque, I honestly wouldn't go by the manufacturer's number, as I am personally wary of taking an unknown manufacturer's word at face value. All that being said, the Current, to me, is a great deal of a belt drive at its price point, so I think you will be very happy.

It’s got a long wait time but I think Ride1up Prodigy will give a serious run for money to all the other mid drive bikes out there.
It has a lot of good features for the price. However, I was interested in going back to a belt drive.

It’s got a long wait time but I think Ride1up Prodigy will give a serious run for money to all the other mid drive bikes out there.
I'm interested in this bike as well. There's even more than one style. I like the idea of the quiet mid-drive motor using torque sensor based assist, but the reliability of those belt drive Brose motors is a concern as well. I don't know if there will be any customization of power levels like my R1U 700. R1U's website say the Prodigy has 9 PAS levels, which is a lot for a torque sensor based bike. For comparison, the R1U LMTD torque sensor version came defaulted and optimized for only 3 PAS levels. Specialized Como uses a Brose motor, has 3 assist levels, and has power customization using the Mission Control App to adjust the low and high power output for each assist level. Maybe it would be worth the extra $1000 for the Specialized for the power customization and Specialized support, especially without being able to test ride a Prodigy.

It has a lot of good features for the price. However, I was interested in going back to a belt drive.
I have a belt drive non-electric bike and an electric bike with derailleur.

I personally feel a lot of times certain products get pushed on this forum as the “best answer for everyone”. Eg I see mid-drive bikes being recommended as the “best option” even when given the use case a hub drive bike is a better option.

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe their use case is different.

Last edited:

I personally feel a lot of times certain products get pushed on this forum as the “best answer for everyone”. Eg I see mid-drive bikes being recommended as the “best option” even when given the use case a hub drive bike is a better option.

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe there use case is different.
I had a Belt drive on my previous eBike. I had put a front geared motor on the front of that one. It is now on Long term loan to my sister. She needed something for getting back and forth from work.

So, Yes, I have used, and am familiar with belt drive.

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe there use case is different.
I have a Current and the belt drive is fine but does need adjustment and checking. Have put a lot of miles on chain/derailleur with acoustic bikes and it never felt like a big hassle to adjust or take care of.

Additional impressions after a week:

Doing a day 1 review is silly. I am guilty of both rushing to conclusions and frantically asking people for their opinions right after they got their bikes. This is my first 'real' bike, that is, the first one I care enough about to pay attention to. What I learned this past week is that it takes time to get used to a new bike. More than a week, even! Riding this bike daily in the past week, every ride was better than the prior. Whether it is learning how to better use the gears, getting using to the geometry, the motor, I feel much more positively about the bike than I did on the first day. This also says something about test rides. They can help you find obvious mismatches, but if I had test ridden this bike only for a day, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I do now.

For my use, class 3 isn't a requirement. Sure, it is nice to have. It is nice to speed up on a long stretch when it's available. However, as much as I've tried, I haven't found the opportunity to ride at 28mph for more than a few seconds. When commuting in the city, it's downright impossible - parked cars opening their doors, people crossing away from the crosswalk, stop signs every block, I am lucky if I hit 20mph occasionally. Under those circumstances, 28mph would endanger me and others. It is not hard to reach 28mph on flats. With PAS-5, 5th gear and a healthy (accelerated) pedaling cadence, 28mph is very attainable. Of course, you won't be able to use it like a cadence sensing hub bike, where you half-ass pedal and the hub alone propels you to the top speed, like a disguised throttle, but the cadence isn't uncomfortable if you enjoy riding bikes. At that level, power consumption is huge! I lose battery bars by the minute. Even if I had the whole city for myself, I imagine I'd run out of battery very very fast at that rate.

I need a bell/horn. As I mentioned before, the bike is very silent. All I can hear is the high pitched humming from the motor and the rolling tires. A fast and quiet bike is a dangerous combination in a dense urban environment. Bell choice is very personal, but I definitely need one for safety - being heard is important.

I'm still finding the perfect position for comfort. I raised the adjustable stem to 60 deg. This gets me to a satisfactory degree of upright. I am still not fully upright, like on my cruiser, but I don't feel the need to raise it more than that. However, this often gets me weird looks at bike shops - maybe it affects handling. I plan on potentially getting handlebars with a bit more raise/backsweep, and lower the stem a bit.

You can't turn the bike on while pedaling. This isn't a complaint - rather, an observation. I often turn the bike on after a few meters, because I forget to do so before riding. My street is flat, so when I do that, I am usually coasting. Once, however, I realized I forgot to turn on the bike when I was a few meters up a hill. I tried turning it on then, while pedaling, and although the display would work, the motor wouldn't. Probably a safety feature in the controller. I had to stop pedaling, turn it off and on again. In the future, I'll remember to turn it on before going up a hill.

I am more satisfied with the power now. After I've become significantly better at making use of gears, I've felt more satisfied with the power delivered by the motor. I have nothing to compare to. I wish I could have tried a bike with a Bafang Ultra, for example, to understand what that feels like. If downshifting and turning up assist, I can easily take off from a complete stop while going uphill. I can also climb hills better (see below). I think power is something we will always wish for more, so yeah, I'd love to have more so I had the peace of mind of not having to plan my routes to avoid the abundant 20%+ hills around me. But still, it gets the job done.

Here's how I use each PAS level:
  • PAS 0: Used for exercise, for saving battery in flat areas, for learning how to use the bike better. The latter has become very important to me - in the past, I've either biked exclusively on flats (before moving here) or ridden rental ebikes, which always give you all the assist they've got. As a result, I am not very good at using the gears effectively. Learning how to do so makes such a huge difference! When riding around at PAS0, I am forced to make optimal use of gears or I will die. Of course, I can't climb anything serious on that level, but I can still overcome moderate inclines by downshifting a lot.
  • PAS 1: Used for regular riding, when no huge hills are expected. Good to get a moderate workout for moderate inclines.
  • PAS 2: My comfort setting. If I want to get from A to B as effectively as possible, while conserving some of the battery, this is my choice. It provides more than enough power to cruise at higher speeds on flats without me putting much effort, and enough power for me to overcome moderate inclines with little effort, making smart use of gearing.
  • PAS 3 & 4: I haven't found good use for 3 & 4 yet. In my experience so far, if I'm somewhere where 2 isn't enough, I likely need everything the bike can give me, which leads us to...
  • PAS 5: Use it for steeper hills. Usually for those I want to leave them behind as quick as possible, so I don't waste time trying to find the perfect balance of power and exercise. I can climb a 14.5% hill easily at gear 1. I climbed at 17.5% with lots of effort at that level. I could not climb a 20% yet, even with lowest gear + highest assist.
View attachment 77449
This over the top excellent review sold me. I ordered my Priority Current today. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it and follow up. Every question I could’ve possibly have thought up was answered, in detail, in this and your other posts.

This over the top excellent review sold me. I ordered my Priority Current today. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it and follow up. Every question I could’ve possibly have thought up was answered, in detail, in this and your other posts.
Congratulations, and I echo your appreciation of Achterbahn's thorough analysis. I've had mine since early August, and I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. (My only modification was to remove the rattling front fender which otherwise served no practical purpose for my type of riding). I suspect you'll enjoy many happy miles riding yours too!

Congratulations, and I echo your appreciation of Achterbahn's thorough analysis. I've had mine since early August, and I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. (My only modification was to remove the rattling front fender which otherwise served no practical purpose for my type of riding). I suspect you'll enjoy many happy miles riding yours too!
Hey folks - thanks for the comments, I appreciate it! This was my first ebike and I am very careful with how I spend my money, so I figured all the time I spent looking into it should also be used to make other people's journey easier.

I'm glad to hear it has helped people make a decision, and hopefully a good one! I wish Priority knew about it - maybe I could get something out of it :p

In all seriousness, enjoy your bikes!

Hey folks - thanks for the comments, I appreciate it! This was my first ebike and I am very careful with how I spend my money, so I figured all the time I spent looking into it should also be used to make other people's journey easier.

I'm glad to hear it has helped people make a decision, and hopefully a good one! I wish Priority knew about it - maybe I could get something out of it :p

Whether they'll reach out to you or not is a whole 'nuther thing, but when I filled out the "how did you hear about us" questionnaire, I wrote back it was because of your thorough and honest review.

Great review. Thanks. The Costco discount works. It is purchased through Costco Next and redirects you to the Priority site with the discount. I am still in the decision phase and this was really helpful. I did find the manual for the enviolo hub (Sportive)

Attachments

• Technical Manual enviolo MY2021_June.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 317
Thanks Achterbahn and all,
This has been an immensely helpful thread as I searched for an e-bike.
I’ve just put together my Priority Current, and I’ve gone about 10 miles in short trips to test features and adjust brakes and shifter. I think this is a keeper! I know I can return in 30 days, but right out of the box it doesn’t seem I’ll need that return policy.

My dilemma in my e-bike search was the cost disparity between what I liked, and what was more in range of my budget. Each person who wrote in this thread, thank you, I looked up many of the alternatives listed.

For me, the Priority Current through Costco was the right price with the right features. I suspect I would like the enviolo hub, but even with the offered discount that Priority said they’d give me it was still about $600 more expensive than the Shimano 5-speed with the Costco discount. Not worth it to me.
By the way, the Costco shoppers get free shipping from Priority, so I feel as if the $60 annual membership fee just to get the bike was cut in half.

At my local bike store I really, really liked the Specialized Como SL 4.0 they had for test rides, and in second place was the Giant Momentum Transcend E+. I found the Como SL to have the best seating position for me of all the bikes (including the Priority Current) — maybe due to the handlebars, and the smoothest torque sensor response. I liked the way the phone app would work with the controller too. I could not justify the price though. The Como SL quick test rides (I did it twice) convinced me the Shimano 5-speed would be fine. I figure with the cost savings, I can replace the handlebar on my Current if I don’t get used to the straight bar, buy a basket, and have something better than the Como SL when I’m done (Belt drive and removable battery for charging on the Priority Current are benefits).

The Transcend E+ was fine, but a little less smooth in the power coming on as I turned the pedals. The Transcend E+ seems very much like the Priority Current in that way of applying power. Priority told me all new bikes ship with the updated firmware that puts out more torque at low pedal speeds (Especially in settings above 2 or 3). I’m one of the few who might have liked the older, smoother version firmware, but this version still seems smooth enough for me in level one or two. I almost did a wheelie on the Current as I started from a stop on a 5% grade hill in first gear with power at level 5.

I’m using the bike for pleasure along the hilly scenic roads for now, but with an eye to commuting >10 miles to work eventually.

- Bob R, new member

Range Test​

A few takeaways:
  • It is definitely not worth trying to squeeze every last bit of battery. A mixed mode ride will leave enough range for most rides.
  • Battery readings continue to be inconsistent. Even in rides where I kept the exact same power level through the entire duration of the battery, some bars lasted 5 miles and others lasted 1.
  • The last battery bar always lasts longer. Power also decreases on the last bar. Whether that's intentional or not, I actually like it. Power is reduced and range is somewhat extended when you're at very low battery.
  • At PAS 5, I got higher range than I expected, but power significantly decreased during the last 5 miles, so I'm not sure it really counts. It is expected that when battery is lower, the bike cannot maintain the high output it needs for high PAS.
As usual, a picture to make up for the long post. This is the bike in grocery getter mode.
Thank you for your detailed posts! I live in South bay, so don't have any hills, just a few underpasses on the bike trail. Though I would love to go up Mt Umunhum once of twice a month as a leisure ride.
Which rack do you use with your bike? My commute is 10 miles one way and I can charge at work, so I am guessing of push comes to shove and I need to make haste, I can make it on a single charge. Can you still shift gears on the belt drive when battery is depleted?

I’ve just put together my Priority Current, and I’ve gone about 10 miles in short trips to test features and adjust brakes and shifter. I think this is a keeper! I know I can return in 30 days, but right out of the box it doesn’t seem I’ll need that return policy.

My dilemma in my e-bike search was the cost disparity between what I liked, and what was more in range of my budget. Each person who wrote in this thread, thank you, I looked up many of the alternatives listed.

For me, the Priority Current through Costco was the right price with the right features. I suspect I would like the enviolo hub, but even with the offered discount that Priority said they’d give me it was still about $600 more expensive than the Shimano 5-speed with the Costco discount. Not worth it to me.
By the way, the Costco shoppers get free shipping from Priority, so I feel as if the $60 annual membership fee just to get the bike was cut in half.

At my local bike store I really, really liked the Specialized Como SL 4.0 they had for test rides, and in second place was the Giant Momentum Transcend E+. I found the Como SL to have the best seating position for me of all the bikes (including the Priority Current) — maybe due to the handlebars, and the smoothest torque sensor response. I liked the way the phone app would work with the controller too. I could not justify the price though. The Como SL quick test rides (I did it twice) convinced me the Shimano 5-speed would be fine. I figure with the cost savings, I can replace the handlebar on my Current if I don’t get used to the straight bar, buy a basket, and have something better than the Como SL when I’m done (Belt drive and removable battery for charging on the Priority Current are benefits).

The Transcend E+ was fine, but a little less smooth in the power coming on as I turned the pedals. The Transcend E+ seems very much like the Priority Current in that way of applying power. Priority told me all new bikes ship with the updated firmware that puts out more torque at low pedal speeds (Especially in settings above 2 or 3). I’m one of the few who might have liked the older, smoother version firmware, but this version still seems smooth enough for me in level one or two. I almost did a wheelie on the Current as I started from a stop on a 5% grade hill in first gear with power at level 5.

I’m using the bike for pleasure along the hilly scenic roads for now, but with an eye to commuting >10 miles to work eventually.

- Bob R, new member
Congratulations on your new bike! Enjoy!

Glad it was useful! Enjoy the new bike!
Which rack do you use with your bike? My commute is 10 miles one way and I can charge at work, so I am guessing of push comes to shove and I need to make haste, I can make it on a single charge. Can you still shift gears on the belt drive when battery is depleted?
I'm happy you liked it! Unless you're running it at max assistance, you can definitely make it on a single charge. I wouldn't worry about that.

Yes, you can shift gears - that part is purely mechanical. When the battery is out what you lose is the motor. Even the screen and lights will work for a bit after the motor is out. It will be usable, but probably not pleasant. The bike is heavy and the whole motor/belt setup adds a bit of drag. That being said, if you're riding on flat, it's completely doable!

Back