Study finds that e-bike riders get as much exercise as riders of regular bikes

David Roy

Link to the article

Link to the actual study

I don’t expect that this is a surprise to any of us but it’s nice to see some actual research and analysis being done. Hopefully it will lead to more bike infrastructure for all kinds of bikes.

This certainly has been the case for me. Over the last couple of years, I found I was riding my Trek bikes less and less due to joint issues. The new e-bike has changed that drastically! I now put in more miles per week than I did 10 years ago!!

I just hope the legislators take this into consideration before passing more anti e-bike regulations.

Link to the article

Link to the actual study

I don’t expect that this is a surprise to any of us but it’s nice to see some actual research and analysis being done. Hopefully it will lead to more bike infrastructure for all kinds of bikes.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be shared more often and every E-bike store should have a copy of this paper.
Regular usage of E-bikes lead to tremendous health benefits and these guys have done a great job in conducting a systematic scientific study.

I'm 71 and gave away my beloved bike to a neighborhood kid a few years ago. I really missed riding but worried I might get stranded away from home. Last winter my daughter gave me a great road bike that she used on marathons. I attempted to built a gas powered moped but it never worked right. Until then I hadn't even heard of e-bikes. After some on-line research I purchased a BAFANG 48V 500W front hub motor and battery and have been happily and healthfully riding again. At first I sped along and had fun testing its capabilities. Now I keep it slow and am back to working the pedals and the crank. I enjoy my refound exercise and my amazing e-bike.
~Lee

I was captivated by the term "acoustic bike" which I first saw on this forum, and am doing my best to spread it!

I like to keep it simple. I use the terms bike and ebike.

I do three group rides per week and for these rides I use one of my two carbon bikes. Lately, when I go for a ride by myself I tend to ride my ebike (Pedego Ridgerider).

I'm pretty sure my next bike purchase will be a gravel ebike. I love the new Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO......the price, not so much.

This certainly has been the case for me. Over the last couple of years, I found I was riding my Trek bikes less and less due to joint issues. The new e-bike has changed that drastically! I now put in more miles per week than I did 10 years ago!!

I just hope the legislators take this into consideration before passing more anti e-bike regulations.
I can attest. Around Christmas, I pulled my old Trek Pure out of the garage, got it an overhaul, and for the first time in years, started riding. At first, I could barely make a circuit around my apartments parking lot.
Now, 9 months later, I ride my mid drive ebike (bought it in February) 100 miles a week. Could never do that with an acoustic bike.

The way I interpret the federal ebike definition is that any ebike compliant to the stated limits is treated as the equivalent of a traditional bike. There is also a statement that says the federal law will supersede any state regulation that has more stringent limits (specs can be loosened by the states but not make tighter). I believe it also is clear that states are only to control usage of compliant ebikes as they do all bikes....in other words, if a traditional bike is allowed on a path/lane/street/sidewalk then a federal regulation compliant ebike is also allowed.

I know there is a lot of interpretations out there but I encourage everyone to read the actual federal regulation/definition of a CPSC regulated ebike so they are not influenced by online information that may be biased towards a certain set of standards that may favor say the EU compliant mid drives.

Just to give an example of how poorly many people interpret the federal specification you'll read everywhere that 750W is the legal limit but the regulation says "must be less than 750W" which literally means that 750W is not compliant. I know it's nit-picking but math is pretty simple when it states "less than 750W."

Unfortunately, most local and state authorities are not as thoughtful when they try to interpret the federal specs. ;)

I cringe every time I hear the term... Analog is so much better. ;)

@FlatSix911- agree Analog is a much better linguistic term and bicycle design fit - modern e-Bikes (digital) have control software, semiconductor based controllers, motors. Analog pedal-bikes may have a digital speedometer/trip computer accessory.

Acoustic connotes noise, consider "Acoustics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of all mechanical waves in gases, liquids, and solids including topics such as vibration, sound, ultrasound and infrasound." E-bike and Analog pedal-bikes are largely silent on the road/trail, so the word Acouostic, linguistically just doesn't fit so well...

Said the old anti-submarine (digitally processed acoustics) guy... Ride On!

I detect an origin in the guitar world... original acoustic guitars being invaded by electric guitars until they now live together just fine. When Bob Dylan first hit the Grand Old Oprey with an electric guitar, they damn near had a riot.

I like it.

I detect an origin in the guitar world... original acoustic guitars being invaded by electric guitars until they now live together just fine. When Bob Dylan first hit the Grand Old Oprey with an electric guitar, they damn near had a riot.

I like it.

Dylan was at the Newport Jazz Festival.

Back