Stromer Updates from Interbike

Ann M.

Marty Schlesinger knows ebikes from the inside out as a builder of ebikes and now with Stromer (They got lucky!)

The Central Territory Manager for Stromer, Marty Schlesinger, met with me at Interbike to share details on the updated Stromer electric bikes including the Stromer ST2 and Stromer ST2 S models. The new S models have a larger battery (just shy of a 1 kwh) and are designed to charge more quickly with C3 batteries using Samsung cells. The higher C rating on the batteries mean they can charge in just 4 to 6 hours. The rear axle is threaded and uses a larger stiffer thru-axle design. Stromer is a Swiss brand focusing on quality, the ST2 models have a touch sensitive display and double walled aluminum fenders. The app lets you fine tune for city riding or for climbing. The new models have an integrated brake light that activates when you pull the brake. They are speed pedelecs capable of 28 mph and have 180 mm hydraulic brakes. The ST2 S uses XTR wireless shifting. The smart phone app lets you tune how the motor performs. The ST2S costs ~$9,000 due in part to the carbon fiber fork, wireless shifting, upgraded light and larger battery pack.

The ST1 Platinum series speed pedelec has a two sprocket chainring using a special Aluminum kick plate with a 16:1 ratio going from 30 to 50 tooth equivalent and keeps the chain inline while also avoiding the use of a second derailleur. This model costs ~$4,000 and comes in a city model as well (which includes fenders and rack).

There are also ST2 Comfort (step-thru) and Sport models, the Sport won ebike of the year for 2015 at Interbike. This model is in the $5,000 price range. there is smartphone connectivity with the bike that includes GPS and with the integrated USB charger you can keep the app running without going through your phone’s battery. There are also range estimation tools inside the app. There’s a setting called agility that changes the response time as well as torque settings for improved climbing. There is also a locking system with GPS that polarizes the motor and makes it unridable. In one situation a bicycle had been stolen in San Francisco and they were able to recover it using the ST2 GPS. There are 17”, 20” and 22” sized frames and they include bottle cage bosses. They keys have also designed to be more tamper proof. The ST2 can now be setup with a black 120 mm suspension fork to improve comfort when riding (especially when riding fast).

Any additional info on the suspension fork would be great for me, is it for all ST2s?

There are also ST2 Comfort (step-thru) and Sport models, the Sport won ebike of the year for 2015 at Interbike.

Winning a award is always nice. But I'm confused. Does really the in March 2014 introduced ST2 won the award? Or was the winner the ST2 s, introduced at Eurobike a month ago?

Winning a award is always nice. But I'm confused. Does really the in March 2014 introduced ST2 won the award? Or was the winner the ST2 s, introduced at Eurobike a month ago?

The bike wasn't released in the US until March 2015. ST2 won the award.

ST2 won the award.

Thanks for clarification.

No idea about the competition in the US on the field of the ST2 (45km/h, hub motor, battery in frame, commuting & leisure). But winning the award with last year's model shows how superior a Stromer is! In Europe, there are a few competitors, #1 copycat is Specialized with the "turbo". Luckily for my Stromer AG, Specialized keeps their project on low level as they are focused in MTB area (where they just copied the Rotwild...)

Thanks for clarification.

No idea about the competition in the US on the field of the ST2 (45km/h, hub motor, battery in frame, commuting & leisure). But winning the award with last year's model shows how superior a Stromer is! In Europe, there are a few competitors, #1 copycat is Specialized with the "turbo". Luckily for my Stromer AG, Specialized keeps their project on low level as they are focused in MTB area (where they just copied the Rotwild...)

I always thought EU had lot more products than the US market. Bulls, Stockli, Flyer, Derby etc
It was interesting to talk to Kusi about new products that are in the making.

ST2 for $5K. So there has been a $2K reduction in price???? Is this correct?

Any additional info on the suspension fork would be great for me, is it for all ST2s?
I put the after-market suspension forks on after I tried them on the St2. These same forks on my St2s are completely different. By far the biggest mistake I ever made, $900 to be exact. You can't turn the bike or maneuver it at all. It's like putting suspension forks on a racing bike. I'll have to pay $100 to have them taken off. I hope I saved you from this misery. Don't listen to Stromer or any dealers. If they tell you the shocks will feel the same on the St2s as they do on the St2, ask how many St2s bikes have these forks installed, or if you can demo one. Chances are that's a big nada. I will post my experience in a separate thread on this forum. I hope I saved you from my heartache. Or maybe you or someone had a different experience. If so, I'd love to hear it.

Back