Stromer ST2 2017 vs 2018, advice needed

TechMan

Hi!

I'm considering buying a Stromer. I got an offer for 2017 model with additional (yes, second) 983 wh battery with the same price as 2018 model with one 983 wh battery. The shop has only 2017 models in stock and they have 814 Wh batteries, which is not big enough for my commute. I took the bike on a test ride and the battery ran out at 53 kilometers, 2 km before I got to my work. I did not even use the highest assist the whole journey. I would not need the second battery, just the bigger one, but I buy the 2017 model in stock, the store would need to order a completely new battery, which costs 2000 Euros, and I would get the old 814 wh battery also. In that case, they would discount the 2017 model price by that 2000 Euros.

Which way would you choose? Does the 2018 model give any real improvements? I could buy the 2017 model and try to sell the additional 814 wh battery and get money back that way, or find a way to carry it with me to do extra long journeys. Or I could use the 814 Wh battery on shorter trips, to reduce the charging cycles of my bigger battery.

What I have understood, the only differences in 2018 model are:
-1x11 drivetrain (at least here in Europe), I'm not sure if this is improvement or not? At least there are less options to choose a gear
-Slightly better headlight (maybe the 2017 headlight could be upgraded to the same level afterwards?)
-New omni. I wonder what improvements the new omni has, in addition to color display and 3G connection instead of 2G?
-Brake light. That would be useful in some situations, but I believe I could live without it.

Is there anything else, why you would choose the 2018 model?

Hi!

I'm considering buying a Stromer. I got an offer for 2017 model with additional (yes, second) 983 wh battery with the same price as 2018 model with one 983 wh battery. The shop has only 2017 models in stock and they have 814 Wh batteries, which is not big enough for my commute. I took the bike on a test ride and the battery ran out at 53 kilometers, 2 km before I got to my work. I did not even use the highest assist the whole journey. I would not need the second battery, just the bigger one, but I buy the 2017 model in stock, the store would need to order a completely new battery, which costs 2000 Euros, and I would get the old 814 wh battery also. In that case, they would discount the 2017 model price by that 2000 Euros.

Which way would you choose? Does the 2018 model give any real improvements? I could buy the 2017 model and try to sell the additional 814 wh battery and get money back that way, or find a way to carry it with me to do extra long journeys. Or I could use the 814 Wh battery on shorter trips, to reduce the charging cycles of my bigger battery.

What I have understood, the only differences in 2018 model are:
-1x11 drivetrain (at least here in Europe), I'm not sure if this is improvement or not? At least there are less options to choose a gear
-Slightly better headlight (maybe the 2017 headlight could be upgraded to the same level afterwards?)
-New omni. I wonder what improvements the new omni has, in addition to color display and 3G connection instead of 2G?
-Brake light. That would be useful in some situations, but I believe I could live without it.

Is there anything else, why you would choose the 2018 model?

Do you have a very hilly commute?

The reason I ask is that you should be getting a whole lot more than 53 km per charge, unless you're dealing with a lot of hills... Maybe have them check out that battery performance to see if it has 814 Wh.

According to Stromer, the range with 814 WH battery is 50-150 km. So, I guess if you use full power and ride fast, it does not last much longer than 50 km. There's a video on Youtube, where someone has made a range test with full speed, the battery lasted 50,5 km.

Maybe the battery performance has degraded during the winter, if the battery has not been charged, and the voltage had gone too low.

When I took the test drive, the day was windy. 20 km of the trip were gravel roads, the terrain was not very hilly, though. Only a couple of steep hills that took maybe 20 seconds to climb. The tire pressure was quite low, because I wanted more cushion. Mostly I used the assistance level 3 (maybe 70% of the time). The temperature was 7 degrees celcius (44.6 degrees Fahrenheit), that might also have an effect.

The market for Stromer bikes in my country is very small. Only 2 stores sell Stromer and the other one is 200 km away. The stores don't have that much experience with Stromer, only couple of bikes were sold last year. So, there is really no other Stromer that I could test to verify the battery range. I talked to another person who bought a Stromer here, and he rides 50 kilometers commute fast, and the battery just lasts the whole trip, but not more. So, I guess the range depends in many factors, and I should take the larger battery to be on the safe side, taking into consideration that the battery will degrade during use.

According to Stromer, the range with 814 WH battery is 50-150 km. So, I guess if you use full power and ride fast, it does not last much longer than 50 km. There's a video on Youtube, where someone has made a range test with full speed, the battery lasted 50,5 km.

Maybe the battery performance has degraded during the winter, if the battery has not been charged, and the voltage had gone too low.

When I took the test drive, the day was windy. 20 km of the trip were gravel roads, the terrain was not very hilly, though. Only a couple of steep hills that took maybe 20 seconds to climb. The tire pressure was quite low, because I wanted more cushion. Mostly I used the assistance level 3 (maybe 70% of the time). The temperature was 7 degrees celcius (44.6 degrees Fahrenheit), that might also have an effect.

The market for Stromer bikes in my country is very small. Only 2 stores sell Stromer and the other one is 200 km away. The stores don't have that much experience with Stromer, only couple of bikes were sold last year. So, there is really no other Stromer that I could test to verify the battery range. I talked to another person who bought a Stromer here, and he rides 50 kilometers commute fast, and the battery just lasts the whole trip, but not more. So, I guess the range depends in many factors, and I should take the larger battery to be on the safe side, taking into consideration that the battery will degrade during use.
Like others have said, 50km seems very short range for that size battery. Raising tire pressure and installing a good suspension seatpost might be a better way to increase ride comfort w/out compromising range.

The tire pressure was quite low, because I wanted more cushion. Mostly I used the assistance level 3 (maybe 70% of the time). The temperature was 7 degrees celcius (44.6 degrees Fahrenheit), that might also have an effect.

Yes, these all have effects on the range.

Additionally, you should not forget the sensor setting. If you choose high level, this will cause more motor activity, also then, when you don't recognize it. High sensor levels are hidden battery drains.

It is hard to judge why someone else's range is so much different than my experience..

I had the original Stromer (before the ST1), it was a 36v 11 ah battery, say 400 Wh.. When new, and in middle assist level, it would easily get 50 km in hot Florida, which is all flat... I weigh 200 lbs. Always ran at maximum tire pressure.. Never really tried to do anything special to max out range.

My only other suggestion is check your speed.. ARe you running 40 kmh? Keep it around 30 kmh and your range should improve significantly.

If you ride in level 3 you are bypassing torque sensor and just wasting WH use it for the hills or in heavy traffic. Ride in level one from any stop, then bump it up to level 2 custom setting higher speed and lower torque and agility. I was 250 pounds and road 48 miles (77K) with supper crazy wind but always got to work with 10% left took 2.25 hours. Charged 2x per day. Extra charger is very expensive. I lost a lot of weight now have 14,200 miles (22,852K) I still turn out 50 miles days on the same 814WH battery. But would love a new 983 for the 100 mile days.

I live in the suburbs of dc. The 1st time we went to FL to ride in an all flat area the range almost doubled. The batteries were pretty new and the trails we went on were so flat.. I remember looking down the trails and it just was strait and flat it just disappeared in the distance with nothing blocking the view. I also go down to Richmond to ride, the 52 miles ther is still noticeably flatter that my normal rides and the range shows it. And same for speed. Ride @15 can go longer than expected too.

I count on 30+miles on my old gold and under 50 with the blue battery,

I would do much better if I had a real and consistent cadence. I believe since I am a “hack”, 62, 230, carry 3 batteries, tools clothes and fruit I have gone with carry more battery theory rather then higher range per battery

Jed, you are not bypassing the torque sensor in level 3 it is still proportional to pedal effort. Uses more energy but not bypassed.

Thank you for your knowledge. The thing is, that the 55 km is very long commute to me, and I would like to go that as fast as I can. I rode @35 km/h most of the time. Few kilometers @40 km/h. I'm willing to pay for that time saving. Nearly two hour commutes are too long for me, and I should forget about cycling then and take a car, which I don't want. 1 h 30 min is still acceptable.

But to the original question: Do you know any other improvements that 2018 model ST2 has, compared to the 2017 model? Do you know, what features the new Omni has?

I ordered a 2017 ST2 today. Like Techman, I'm wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of differences between it and the 2018 model year. I got an incredible deal on it and a 2018 wasn't even an option for me due to cost, but other than the new Omni (anyone know if that's available as a later upgrade?) the brake light and the gearing I can't find anything that would justify the difference in price. Am I missing something?

I believe they may have the upgraded motor , not sure
I actually just got off the phone with the dealer. In the U.S., the only differences are the Omni and the headlight. He wasn't sure about the European models, but thought that those would include a horn rather than a bell, and thought there might be a different taillight. The differences between the European and U.S. are due to legal requirements.

I just ordered a white 20" from Crazy Lennys (not a terribly confidence-inspiring name) in Madison WI. Excluding delivery it was $4200. I waffled between that bike and an orange ST1 X I found from another out-of-state dealer for $4k even. I preferred the color of the ST1 X, but the upgraded components and larger battery were the deciding factors.

Yesterday morning I was on the waiting list for a Juiced RipCurrent S. I had been drooling over the the ST2 but assumed I'd spend at least $5500 for even a floor model. When I called just to check I was floored. I really like the RipCurrent, and a fat bike would have been fun, but between their inability to provide any reliable information regarding shipping dates (I ordered mine March 30th for an early May delivery, and now it looks like July) and the initial reports of poor QC from folks that were in the first run of bikes, I jumped ship and cancelled the order. The Stromer was still more than $1000 more expensive, but it really seems like a different animal altogether in terms of design and quality. It'll be here in less than 10 days. I can't friggin' wait!!

I also asked my dealer, and they did not know any other differences than I previously mentioned. What I have understood, the motor power is not increased in 2018 model, only the way of measuring the power is changed, which leads to different number in technical specs. I've had the bike for a week now, and it has been a pleasure to ride. However, I dropped the tire pressures a little below the minimum (to 1.8 bar = 27 psi)) to get more comfort. I ordered a suspension seatpost, so when it is installed, I will put more pressure to the tires.

I just ordered a white (ST2) 20" from Crazy Lennys
Enjoy your ST2, I have a white ST1X with the 814wh and the suspension fork and the bodyfloat suspension seatpost, and a ST2S with just the bodyfloat suspension seatpost from CL's, both 2017's. I commute 30 miles daily on the ST1X and the ST2S hasn't been ridden once yet, lol. The ST2S is a fair weather bike, and the weather and my commute are not "Fair".

I actually just got off the phone with the dealer. In the U.S., the only differences are the Omni and the headlight. He wasn't sure about the European models, but thought that those would include a horn rather than a bell, and thought there might be a different taillight. The differences between the European and U.S. are due to legal requirements.

I just ordered a white 20" from Crazy Lennys (not a terribly confidence-inspiring name) in Madison WI. Excluding delivery it was $4200. I waffled between that bike and an orange ST1 X I found from another out-of-state dealer for $4k even. I preferred the color of the ST1 X, but the upgraded components and larger battery were the deciding factors.

Yesterday morning I was on the waiting list for a Juiced RipCurrent S. I had been drooling over the the ST2 but assumed I'd spend at least $5500 for even a floor model. When I called just to check I was floored. I really like the RipCurrent, and a fat bike would have been fun, but between their inability to provide any reliable information regarding shipping dates (I ordered mine March 30th for an early May delivery, and now it looks like July) and the initial reports of poor QC from folks that were in the first run of bikes, I jumped ship and cancelled the order. The Stromer was still more than $1000 more expensive, but it really seems like a different animal altogether in terms of design and quality. It'll be here in less than 10 days. I can't friggin' wait!!

How did the purchase of the ST2 work out?

The purchase worked out well.

I've had is for just under three months and just over a thousand miles. Without question it has been the single best purchase I have ever made. I've lost more than 25lbs doing what feels like nothing but fun. I go places I wouldn't go in the car because of traffic or parking. I spend far more time outside and feel like a new person. If I were a religious man I'd call it a miracle, but I'm not, and it isn't. It's just a really well designed ebike with plenty of power and speed that is ergonomic and comfortable and turns heads. The electric assist allows me to ride to distances and places that wouldn't have been fun for me to ride to on a regular bike.

I use to be an active cyclist. 6 years ago I developed an inflammatory arthritis in my knees, hips, and shoulders. I couldn't ride up hills or against heavy headwinds at all. Now I can, and I do. I don't regret for a second cancelling the Juiced. It was a gamble that really paid off.

Just got my 2017 ST2 in from Crazy Lenny's as well. Great price. The box was slightly damaged with a hole at the rear derailleur but the bike looked ok after taking it out of the box. After swapping out the saddle with my selle smp and clipless pedals I took it out for a spin. There was an issue being able to shift to the smallest rear cog (kept skipping back up). I straightened the rear derailleur with my park derailleur hanger tool and now it shifts great. It's a great stable bike that has cut my commute home by half (lots of hills) saving me ~15 minutes a day compared to my road bike and ~ 8 minutes compared to the electron wheel on my mtb bike. Decided to jump on the true ebike bandwagon after using the electron wheel for a month but found out that it's not really made for the wear and tear of a daily commute. So far very pretty with my ST2 - only issue is that the app seems to not update frequent enough (ie charge or gps location is usually off a bit - seems to only update at stops but if you ride down and park underground, will only show at the last stop light).

Tell my wife all the time my best two purchase... ever, were my cappuccino make and my ST2. Like you, the ST2 changed my life. I don't drive the car anymore - I actually resent having to drive when I do. Rain or shine I'd rather take the bike hands down.

Back